Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool | Sat 5th Oct 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

At the end of last Saturday, Charlton had just lost to Burnley in a 3-0 defeat at Turf Moor. The mood was bleak; the team appeared weak with the alarm bells ringing for the Charlton Life clique. However, those who supported the team and Powell on Tuesday night even when Andy Reid scored an early free-kick for Forest, created some optimism and passion that appeared to rub off on the players who battled and in the end deserved more than the 1-1 draw that they got.

So while Charlton will go into Saturday’s game with Blackpool feeling a bit more confident than a week ago, they will still have to be focused on Paul Ince’s side after their excellent start in the Championship where they are currently in 6th place.

The game will also see Ricardo Fuller return to the Valley for the first time since his departure from the Addicks at the end of last season.

The Opposition

At the start of the season, it was fair to say that Blackpool were many of the Bookies favourites to get relegated come the end of the season, but to be fair to Paul Ince’s side they have been very impressive so far and with only one defeat this season, they will definitely be a side to watch this year.

In their last fixture, Blackpool drew 0-0 at home against winless Bolton and despite Ricardo Fuller coming close; they couldn’t manage to get all three points. Along with Fuller, Blackpool have many players to be wary of including Tom Ince and Stephen Dobbie so the Charlton back-four will have to be aware of the ability that Blackpool possess.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Blackpool winger Tom Ince. Despite being the son of the manager, Ince JR has not let that distract him and has continued this season in fine form after a great season last year. He was on the verge of joining Cardiff during the summer, but opted to stay at Blackpool due to the birth of his child. Tom has plenty of skill and pace to trouble any side and will be Blackpool’s constant threat this weekend.

The Line –Up

After the experiment of a 4-1-2-1-2/4-3-1-2 formation worked well against Forest in the week, Chris Powell will probably want to name the exact same eleven that started in midweek.

The one position that may be up for grabs however is the goalkeeping spot due to Ben Hamer’s recent dip in form meaning that substitute goalkeeper Ben Alnwick may make his debut.

The midfield consisting of Jordan Cousins, Mark Gower, Dale Stephens and Callum Harriott appeared to work well on Tuesday night meaning that they will probably start again although after an impressive cameo against Forest; Andy Hughes will be pushing to start.

The likes of Johnnie Jackson, Yann Kermorgant and Bradley Pritchard are doubts while Chris Solly is expected to miss out again. Simon Church is likely to start again despite limping off during the midweek draw with Forest.

The Prediction

It’s a tough one to call but I can see Charlton snatching it 1-0.

Comments

• Harriot to miss out to either Stewart of Jackson in an otherwise unchanged side.

2 - 1 to the Addicks with another goal from Sordell and a Wilson piledriver. Hamer will concide from 73 yards and blame Church.
  • 2-1

Sordell
    Cousins
  • Blackpool are in an artificial position and will not finish this high in the league. We are better at home. Got 4-0 Charlton all over it this one. The kids to score with Cousins, Harriet (2) and Piggy at the end.
  • Not sure Blackpool are as good as their league position shows ... good game for us last night, poor game for Blackpool against Bolton ... could be playing them at the right time. I'm sure we will concede, so 2-1 Charlton, Morrison header from a corner, Dale Stephens from 20 yards.
  • 2-1 Addicks
  • ED-Cousins is at the base of midfield in that line-up with Gower more forward.
  • edited October 2013
    Attack them from the off we can win. Sit back and hope to nick a goal I can see us struggling. 2-1 to the addicks Sordell and Stephens
  • what a difference a good performence makes :-)
  • I expect Kermit to sit this one out. The only change I would therefore make is to the back line.

When clearing long they need to put it down the chanel to Church a la Nelson as he ain't going to win the header. I think then we will then see the benefit of his running.

My other concerns are usual performance against the lesser sides which I think Blackpool are, and the return of Fulller and the ex player scoring syndrome.

Other than that, I expect the same side to start and 3 points.
  • Can't see any reason to change the team that played against Forest. Going for a 2-1 home victory.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 v 1 charlton
  • 4-2 home win. Sordell 2, church and Morrison. Fuller and Ince for them.
  • Which Charlton will turn up?

Would like to think we have enough to turn these over 2-1.
  • Too much optimism on cl = guaranteed defeat. I'm going for a 6 nil loss, with 3 own goals including a back pass from the halfway line that hamer allows to squirm under his body then has to leave the field injured.
  • 2-0 to CP's Red & White Army.
  • Looks like another draw to me, I'll go for 1-1.
  • Which Charlton will turn up?

Would like to think we have enough to turn these over 2-1.

This...

• Much as I want us to win, I'm inclined to go with a draw. Our lack of a prolific goalscorer will ensure we huff & puff again around their box. If we keep it tight at the back though we could sneak a 1-0 but with Hamer in his current form that's got to be unlikely. Having said that, with Charlton - who knows !! ? If we did manage to repeat the form of Tuesday, then we are a more than a match for anyone. I'd like to see a bit more gambling on shooting outside the box when it's on. We seem to want to walk the ball into the net and players seem frightened to have a go. Look at Millwall's lucky deflected goal the other week. Only scored due to their player having a punt. If the crowd keep off players backs for having a go then they will be more inclined to try it. The younger players such as Cousins will be less frightened, as they won't have the fear factor yet !
  • Another custard affected game...match abandoned on 89 mins.
  • Sponsored links:

• The poster who said Charlton are playing us at the right time was spot on. Although we've only lost one game, we haven't won in four and we're missing our most important player, Barry Ferguson, through injury. Tom Ince hasn't been at his best recently, either. Add to that the fact that we haven't won in SE7 for donkey's years and I'm not rushing to predict we'll break that cycle this time round! However, as I follow both teams, I'll just stick to saying may the best team win!
  • Just so excited to be attending the game in person. COYR
  • They were awful last season and can't have improved that much. A Charlton win here. We need to attack from kick-off.
  • Red Robin - when we played at The Valley last season, we'd just lost our second manager in 3 months and the team was in turmoil. As for the game at Bloomers, that was round about the start of our decline that saw last season turn into such a total disaster. Not taking anything away from that Solly screamer, though!
  • No need to play the 4-4-2 diamond again, unless that is how Blackpool line up.

I'd expect a return to an orthodox 4-4-2 and hoping for Hughes alongside Cousins in CM.
  • can see a rollercoaster 3-2 win with yann coming off the bench to score the winner
  • back to earth with a bump the defence lead by flappy elliot hamer will always concede and an attack with the softest striker of a ball in Church will always struggle

0-3 to the tangerines and meltdown to follow
  • If Hamer plays 0-3 as Fuller will know all his weaknesses...if he doesnt 0-1.

We have played our game of the month against forest (and still didnt win) so cant seeing us play 2 good games on the trot sadly.

The league is starting to spread unlike last year so a win is most important.
  • A lot of Pool fans were very unsure about Fulker when he came in, but he's been arguably our best player so far.
  • If Blackpool have done their homework they will get in our faces as did Millwall but also with a bit more class. That said I'll opt for a draw.