Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

North Korea

In the past few weeks and months there havesome pretty strong threats coming out of NK, including testing of nuclear bombs. What are peoples opinions? If say NK attavk the USA (or even south korea) should we support them? I.e with military help?

Should we be worried?

Comments

• I suspect that NK is still a client/puppet state to China and has been since the Korean war in the early 1950s; the last bastion of crazy so called communist far east regimes. China uses NK to keep the USA on its toes. China will not allow number one son to go too far and no way will China allow nuclear weapons to be used so close to its own borders
  • I'm sure we are quite friendly with North Korea? As long as they aren't threatening us or anything we should take heed of past wars and stay out of it.
  • Send in Team America I say!
  • I suspect most world leaders see North Korea as a bit of a joke.
  • I'm sure we are all safe now that David Miliband is heading up International Rescue.
  • South Korean special forces on youtube.......proper geezers!
  • Surprised by the "playing down" of the threat on this thread so far. North Korea is very much a renegade state even as far as the Chinese are concerned. No amount of warnings regarding nuclear testing have been heeded including condemnation by the Chinese Government. The country is effectively starving or at least if you are not in the government service you are starving. The leader is a dictator in every sense of the word and has nothing to lose by continuing down the present course. NK is already responsible for cyber attacks on the west and them obtaining nuclear strike capability does not fill me with anything other than great concern.
  • Surprised by the "playing down" of the threat on this thread so far. North Korea is very much a renegade state even as far as the Chinese are concerned. No amount of warnings regarding nuclear testing have been heeded including condemnation by the Chinese Government. The country is effectively starving or at least if you are not in the government service you are starving. The leader is a dictator in every sense of the word and has nothing to lose by continuing down the present course. NK is already responsible for cyber attacks on the west and them obtaining nuclear strike capability does not fill me with anything other than great concern.

This, well said that man.
  • Sponsored links:

I completely agree with this I have heard nothing but negativity about this country. It is an absolute basketcase with absolutely nothing to lose
  • edited March 2013
    Swisdom said:

Surprised by the "playing down" of the threat on this thread so far. North Korea is very much a renegade state even as far as the Chinese are concerned. No amount of warnings regarding nuclear testing have been heeded including condemnation by the Chinese Government. The country is effectively starving or at least if you are not in the government service you are starving. The leader is a dictator in every sense of the word and has nothing to lose by continuing down the present course. NK is already responsible for cyber attacks on the west and them obtaining nuclear strike capability does not fill me with anything other than great concern.

I completely agree with this I have heard nothing but negativity about this country. It is an absolute basketcase with absolutely nothing to lose
    Ok, granted they're a bunch of nutcases but what can we do about it? Pretty much nothing. Once one nuke gets launched, a thousand or so warheads will be launched within a couple of hours by the US, Russians and China so and you may as well say mankind gets finished there and then. So there's no point in worrying about it, is there? If it happens, if happens. We'll all go together.

As a plus, your eyes and skin will melt in a nuclear blast before you actually hear the bang from the detonation, so it'll be over pretty quickly ;)

(Looking on the bright side with an hour to go in the office before Easter :) )

• I have not seen any cyber men attacking the West as yet. Seriously though, the NK regime is run by an utter pillock but a dangerous egoistical one which means that anything could happen. Remember his father and that amazing round of golf? Just goes to show that we are not dealing with a rational person here

• Ok, granted they're a bunch of nutcases but what can we do about it? Pretty much nothing. Once one nuke gets launched, a thousand or so warheads will be launched within a couple of hours by the US, Russians and China so and you may as well say mankind gets finished there and then. So there's no point in worrying about it, is there? If it happens, if happens. We'll all go together.

As a plus, your eyes and skin will melt in a nuclear blast before you actually hear the bang from the detonation, so it'll be over pretty quickly ;)

I suppose that will solve the Euro crisis once and for all !

Happy Easter everyone, enjoy it because you never know...............;-O

• He's just a kid going through that stage in life. Didn't you like to let your hair down when you were his age?
  • I find it worrying. China seem to be making moves to let them know that if they continue down this path, they will have no choice but to cut them off. Considering China makes up something like 70% of NK's economy, they'd have to be crazy to launch an attack. Unfortunately, I think they just might be. For now it's all posturing and words.

Dennis Rodman was there recently, said the NK Leader told him to tell Obama "Don't want war. Don't want war. Tell him call me." Mental.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Swisdom said:

Surprised by the "playing down" of the threat on this thread so far. North Korea is very much a renegade state even as far as the Chinese are concerned. No amount of warnings regarding nuclear testing have been heeded including condemnation by the Chinese Government. The country is effectively starving or at least if you are not in the government service you are starving. The leader is a dictator in every sense of the word and has nothing to lose by continuing down the present course. NK is already responsible for cyber attacks on the west and them obtaining nuclear strike capability does not fill me with anything other than great concern.

Ok, granted they're a bunch of nutcases but what can we do about it? Pretty much nothing. Once one nuke gets launched, a thousand or so warheads will be launched within a couple of hours by the US, Russians and China so and you may as well say mankind gets finished there and then. So there's no point in worrying about it, is there? If it happens, if happens. We'll all go together.

I agree with you - that's the scary part.

That country is a complete mess. There's a fascinating book taken from the natives perspective where they talk about things they can and cannot do, say or whatever. Frightening that in this day and age there is an entire country that is so shrouded in mystery. The book is called Nothing to Envy I believe - really weird book
  • He's just a kid going through that stage in life. Didn't you like to let your hair down when you were his age?

But when I was a kid I never had the luxury of nuclear weapons to play with in the back garden.
    I was a deprived child :-(

• edited March 2013
    Agree with the sentiments above that there is nothing the likes of peasants like us can do to affect it so no point really worrying about it.

Have been surprised by the complete lack of BBC coverage on it though.

Re the internet attacks on SK i read in the metro today about a cyber war going on between a Dutch Spamming company and a IT security company and saying it could cause the internet to crash etc. Then heard on the radio news earlier that the "internet" has been slow today as it had been attacked and they were vague on the details so in true conspiracy style it could be NK doing it and its being spun to stop the masses raiding liddles for canned goods.

I will be mightily peeved if it does kick of an the world ends having forked out 300 notes on renewing my season ticket this morning.
  • i'm not clued up on how a nuclear war head being fired at the USA will effect us. i presume from radiation being blown over and killing us? will this take long?
  • Sponsored links:

• I suppose if that happens we could set the wind turbines to full blast and blow it back.
  • North Korea is arguably the best-prepared nation for a zombie outbreak.

• In the past few weeks and months there havesome pretty strong threats coming out of NK, including testing of nuclear bombs. What are peoples opinions? If say NK attavk the USA (or even south korea) should we support them? I.e with military help?

Should we be worried?

Might be worth buying some popcorn in.
  • At least it will be quick and I won't have the "pleasure" of seeing Palarse in the Premiership.
  • In the past few weeks and months there havesome pretty strong threats coming out of NK, including testing of nuclear bombs. What are peoples opinions? If say NK attavk the USA (or even south korea) should we support them? I.e with military help?

Should we be worried?

Might be worth buying some popcorn in.
    Will be one hell of a firework's display :)

• edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="GreenWithEnvy">Send in Team America I say!</blockquote>

Yanks have just flown a couple of B2s from Missouri, dropped some dummy bombs at an Island on near the NK border and buggered off home.

Kim Yeung III ain't going to be happy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21963369

• More chance of sth korea blowing them out of existance very soon
  • JiMMy 85 said:

North Korea is arguably the best-prepared nation for a zombie outbreak.

No way, it's Cuba all day long
  • R'onley......I am so R'onley.

Classic scene in Team America.

As for all their sabre rattling, as has already been said, if they launch one the USA, Russians et al will launch 1000s. It'll be over in a day and we'll know feck all about it.