Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

North Korea

Comments

• Options
    According to this mornings news N. Korea have said they are at war with the South.
  • Options
    They've been at War with the South for sixty years.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

They've been at War with the South for sixty years.

Yesterday they also promised Chinese tourists there would be no war.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Stu - what's the locals view of it on your neck of the woods?

The biggest fear is a that a war may cause people to flee here, which would be a big, big problem.

Sadly most are ignorant to facts and are far too busy hating Japan to worry about what is going on in the rest of the worlds. Uninhabitable islands are serious business, don't you know.
  • Options
    big difference between Japan pre ww2 and North Korea. Japan had already forged itself an empire and had a seasoned army and navy that knew what they were doing as well as being fanatacal. North Korea is a starving, poor nation and despite having a large standing army, they wouldnt be a match to the US and allies. Their list of allies is also wearing thin to paraphrase Elrond the wise ;)

They could land a devastating blow to South Korea very quickly, but I don't think the international community would stand for that, and I think kim jong un realises that if he puts any nuclear weapons on the table, it's game over for him.
  • Options

Not meaning to cause offence, but all the North Koreans I've seen on the telly are short dumpy guys with squitty eyes. If they're up for a fight I fancy me chances!

That was said about the Japanese before WW2.
    And they got beat.
    but it took 2 nuclear bombs and the help of a lot of other countries.
  • Options
    Nothing will happen.
    There is too much economic value in ongoing work in South Korea for the Yanks and other Nations to let anything happen. The chinese will step in, on the quiet, and shut up the NKs.
  • Options
    Well this situation has certainly been ramped up. Think this will end in tears for somebody.
  • Options
    I know, its very worrying. KJU just seems like s bit of a nut case and its almost like he is trying to get the usa to attack them, very strange

I just hope NK dont start using nuclear weapons, because they will be wiped off the face of the earth by the Americans. You have to be very silly indeed to take on the might of the yanks and its military
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    We need China to sort this out. Any other country will make things worse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CNBC ‏@CNBC 1h
    BREAKING: North Korea army says it has final approval for nuclear attack on U.S. - DJ
  • Options
    Scary stuff
  • Options
    Interesting developments its not everyday you get threatened with a merciless nuclear assault
  • Options
    All posturing. He's trying to make a name for himself (or rather his generals are trying to make a name for him) to get concessions on sanctions.
  • Options
    I was a lot more concerned in the early 80's about Nuclear War.
    Wasn't there a famous quote at the time from the US about the possibility of keeping a nuclear war confined to Europe? Well let's keep this one confined to N Korea if necessary.
  • Options
    They said they're going to bomb either today or tomorrow???? Scary stuff. Could be all chat but still scary
  • Options
    It's taken all day yesterday but it's finally the top story on the BBC news.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

They said they're going to bomb either today or tomorrow???? Scary stuff. Could be all chat but still scary

Yep. Apparently the order has been ratified already too. However - the wording of their press release was using the usual glorified, dramatic and patriotic tones that their internal communications use.

It would literally be MADness if they were to do anything. Unfortunately I'm not sure if Kimmy understands that; sounds like the years of propaganda his dad was spewing out actually had an effect on him.

I'm pondering wether this could actually be some attempt at playing America and China off against eachother whilst taking liberties with South Korea and/or possibly Japan. It would certainly be more understandable than the outright "We've given the go ahead to nuke you; wait a day or two." nonsense.

Hopefully Father China will come along, give little young North Korea a slapped arse and send him to bed with no TV.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

dizzee said:

Yep. Apparently the order has been ratified already too. However - the wording of their press release was using the usual glorified, dramatic and patriotic tones that their internal communications use.

It would literally be MADness if they were to do anything. Unfortunately I'm not sure if Kimmy understands that; sounds like the years of propaganda his dad was spewing out actually had an effect on him.

I'm pondering wether this could actually be some attempt at playing America and China off against eachother whilst taking liberties with South Korea and/or possibly Japan. It would certainly be more understandable than the outright "We've given the go ahead to nuke you; wait a day or two." nonsense.

Hopefully Father China will come along, give little young North Korea a slapped arse and send him to bed with no TV.
    Or dinner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

dizzee said:

Or dinner
  • Options
    They have final approval for a nuclear strike on the US, unfortunate for them that they don't have a nuke that can travel that far.
  • Options
    Still think hes going to burst in to a rendition of "Gangnam Style"
  • Options

All posturing. He's trying to make a name for himself (or rather his generals are trying to make a name for him) to get concessions on sanctions.

I think this scenario is most likely although that goal could have been achieved by just taking his nuclear facilities out of mothballs and proceeding with their nuclear programme. The actual threats of nuclear attack are somewhat beyond what you would think an attempt at obtaining a good negotiating position.

• Options
    dizzee said:

LuckyReds said:

dizzee said:

Or dinner
    Not sure if being sent to bed without dinner is a punishment or a reward out there... ;)
  • Options
    Either you're with us, or you're with the American fools.

Now watch this drive.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

They have final approval for a nuclear strike on the US, unfortunate for them that they don't have a nuke that can travel that far.

This. The worst that can happen is they'll blow themselves up
  • Options
    If things aren't depressing enough now we have a fat kid with a shit haircut kicking off
  • Options
    if anyone really thinks that a tinpot little dictatorship like North Korea is a major threat to the USA or anyone else they are verging on the paranoid. As I have said elsewhere, NK is a Chinese fiefdom and is used by china as naughty little boy to scare the west and divert attention from china's nefarious activities. China can soon tell NK to cool it and all the western press and some gullible politicians will fall over with relief and gratitude that china has joined the great league of enlightened nations. China is the real devil here, NK merely the court jester.