Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 28th September 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Four points from these two away days should be achievable, don't mind which one we draw and win but hopefully we can should/could/can do it.
  • He's got to have a plan B soon. If he doesn't then he's stuck in last seasons try not to lose mentality. So many odd choices. Taking an inexperienced winger and putting him as a striker above Godden. Dropping Mitchell etc. Hope we see a change tomorrow. COYR.
  • Southbank said:
    For all his faults Anderson is a better option than Berry. He is more mobile and aggressive. Berry seems to be treating his Charlton gig as a short stop before retirement.
    Not bad then for someone who is our top scorer...?
    That says more about our forwards than about him, sadly. Although the strikers May come good some time.
  • edited September 27
    Under 1.5 goals nailed on.

What tomorrow won't do is define our season. Pompey, Peterborough & Bolton drew there, Derby & Barnsley lost and only Oxford won of the eventual top six.
  • Going by our last performance a 0-0 draw could be the unwanted outcome. But I also think the result could go either way with just 1 goal in it.

Fingers crossed but not confident about this one. 
  • Tomorrow is a significant test of the managerial skills of Nathan Jones.
    I think the first priority must absolutely be the three points.
    But we have landed on a moment where team selection is going to be very telling, including on the bench.
    Perhaps the major dilemma Mitchell aside, is whether Nathan Jones takes the 'one more chance' approach to some of the players, or whether Nathan Jones has assessed the recent temperature of the squad, with form, returns, the Cambridge game, training and so on and decided he can make strong yet adventurous changes.
    I for one am intrigued as to what NJ will do.
  • Southbank said:
    For all his faults Anderson is a better option than Berry. He is more mobile and aggressive. Berry seems to be treating his Charlton gig as a short stop before retirement.
    Get out of here.

Berry has 2 goals & is always a threat. Also uses the ball well & is good running with it. 

No Berry, no win. Same goes for Godden & Mitchell.

But in any case we dont have enough out wide or up front to win. Amazing listening to the Andy Hunt interview earlier & he was extolling the virtues of Newton & Robinson who supplied him with many of his goals. 

My prediction is a draw.  Either 0-0 or 1-1.

• Under 1.5 goals nailed on.

What tomorrow won't do is define our season. Pompey, Peterborough & Bolton drew there, Derby & Barnsley lost and only Oxford won of the eventual top six.
    And by chance what did those teams do at home to Blackpool. 
  • I would like to see at some stage:-

Mannion
    Ramsay  Mitchell Jones Edwards
    Taylor Coventry Anderson
    TC Leaburn Dixon

Probably the 1st 8 on the list to start.

No need for a back five vs a poor Stevenage side.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 27
    A must win, that will turn into 'Stevenage are a great side actually' by the end of the match. 

We'll win 1-0. 
  • I would like to see at some stage:-

Mannion
    Taylor Coventry Anderson
    TC Leaburn Dixon

Won’t happen but it wouldn’t be worse to watch 
  • If we give Ahadme a rest and play a combination of Godden ,TC or Kanu up front ( I don’t mind which two )  from the start I can see us getting a result . Otherwise I can see this being a 0-0 . 
  • A shots on target figure over 5 would be a thrill.
    But if we can grind a win out of pressing the fcuk out of these hick town nonentities that'll be enough.
    They will score nil. I have no idea what we will score.
  • edited September 27
    If Kanu and Ahadme start up front I’d expect zero goals till they’re off the pitch

0-1 Charlton . Thriller 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    This is going to be another stinker of a game 
    Nothing like waking up on an away day thinking that :-) 

oh well, it gets me out of shopping 
  • edited September 28
    At the risk of going all Tony Mowbray, we’ve got to be beating teams like this if we have any ambitions this season. I’m resigned to the fact that this is going to be a tough watch and I’m expecting the same old same old from us. But our same old should be better than theirs so I’m hoping for a win.  Cheeky 50p on 0-0.   
  • Wonder if it’s worth trying the Chuks Godden combo from the start then bringing Ahadme and TC after an hour for some pace and aggression? 
  • Valley11 said:
    Wonder if it’s worth trying the Chuks Godden combo from the start then bringing Ahadme and TC after an hour for some pace and aggression? 
    Nope, Chuks is for the second half only
  • edited September 28
    Under 1.5 goals nailed on.

What does last season have to do with this one?

Should be aiming for 6 points from the next two games, and at least one clean sheet to make up for Saturday's defensive shambles.
  • How many duels will Ahadme win vs Piergianni do we think? 
  • edited September 28
    I would like to see at some stage:-

Mannion
    Taylor Coventry Anderson
    TC Leaburn Dixon

When it's working well the 3-5-2 isn't 5 at the back.
    In the first game of the season at Wigan because Nathan Jones was determined to keep a clean sheet and at least get a draw the Wing backs were defensive  full backs for large parts of the game and the set up was 5-3-2 as positions were held.

It's paramount that both Ramsey and Small/Edwards get forward as wing backs in the 3-5-2 or else the attacking play of CAFC becomes stagnated and turgid.

I'm going for a Charlton win but more in hope than judgement.