Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 28th September 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 28th September 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Scott Tallis

Introduction
Once again the Addicks will be going into a weekend looking to bounce back after a disappointing performance - Last Saturday saw Charlton hosting a Blackpool side who appear to be under a proper Honeymoon period with their Manager, and it was a 90min match that we were never really in contention for - We've a chance to once again put that game to rights, when we visit Hertfordshire tomorrow afternoon.

The Opposition
Name: Stevenage (15th) - Manager: Alex Revell
Ground: Broadhall Way
Last League Result: Wigan 0-0 Stevenage

What will live long in the memory, of many Addicks fans from our previous match, was the use of the dark arts by Blackpool to ensure that they could run the clock down and so ruin any momentum - It appears to be a feature that is spreading into Football at all levels, and for the time being is something we sadly need to get used to... Stevenage tomorrow, under Steve Evans have always been a side that have followed that approach, so its perhaps a good thing that he's buggered off to Rotherham

His replacement is Alex Revell, who is in his second stint now as Stevenage Manager - Having previously taken charge of the club for just over a year in February 2020, before being sacked with the club languishing at the bottom of League Two in November 2021; Revell has never managed elsewhere, he re-joined Stevenage in 2022 with the Youth Academy, before quickly re-joining the First Team coaching staff under Steve Evans.

Putting Steve Evans character aside, he's always going to be a difficult Manager to replace, and Stevenage find themselves in 15th struggling to replicate the season they had last season - They have two wins this season, both at Broadhill Way with victories coming against Shrewsbury and Barnsley, whilst they've tasted defeat at home on just one occasion, coming against Lincoln... Dan Kemp in Midfield will be the one to watch this weekend, having signed from MK Dons with impressive stats last term, whilst Elliott List is their top scorer with three goals to his name.

Brace yourselves for another classic League One encounter come 3pm tomorrow!!

Charlton Team News
Fans will be eagerly awaiting the inclusion of Miles Leaburn, who could see his first involvement for the First Team this Saturday, the Academy Graduate is expected by many to be our main man up top this season, and there will be a lot of expectation when he does finally return. However given his lack of minutes over the last year, I doubt we'll see anything more than an appearance from the bench tomorrow.

Elsewhere and Thierry Small was an unfortunate replacement before we'd even got to Half-Time on Saturday, so could be another that drops out, with Josh Edwards returning to the side - Then you've got the infamous failed experiment that was Rarmani Edmonds-Green who came in for Alex Mitchell last Saturday, we should at least expect to see a return to the settled back three which has performed well to date this season.

Mannion
Mitchell - Jones - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Coventry - Docherty - Edwards
Berry
Ahadme - T.Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Potts - A.Campbell - Anderson - Aneke - Leaburn - Godden

Comments

• It has 0-0 written all over it 
  • I fear another disapointing Saturday and plenty of angst between Happy Clappers and Doom mongerers on CL.

1-0 to Stevenage
    Shit ref.
    • Stevenage have lost just one of their last 13 league games against sides from London (W5 D7), keeping a clean sheet in seven of those matches.
    • This will be just the fifth Football League meeting between Stevenage and Charlton Athletic with the prior record split evenly between the two sides (W1 D2 L1 each).
    • Stevenage have won four of their last six home league games (L2), even though they’ve kept just two clean sheets during that time.
    • Charlton Athletic have lost just two of their last 11 away league games (W4 D5), even though they’ve averaged scoring just over one goal per match during that streak.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2024/september/27/sky-bet-league-one--pre-match-stat-pack/
  • Sponsored links:

• I fear another disappointing Saturday and plenty of angst between Happy Clappers and Doom mongerers on CL.
    So its going to be a normal day on CharltonLife then 
  • RobRob
    edited September 27
    I think we’ll win this 2-0. 

This game reminds me of the 2011 season when our season turned around after this game with the emergence of a certain Yann Kermorgant. Could the same be true of Miles? You never know! 
  • For all his faults Anderson is a better option than Berry. He is more mobile and aggressive. Berry seems to be treating his Charlton gig as a short stop before retirement.
  • For me it's about team selection and formation. Jones is as probably dissatisfied with the lack of creation as we all are but what to do about it ? I will disagree with FA's team as I don't think Berry will start, there is also no place on the bench for Small, so there would be little cover for any injuries to the wingbacks, but you can't pick everyone so some will miss out. My wish for Leaburn, Dixon and Taylor to in the squad may be dashed but I will go with a draw and hope for a win to put last weeks nonsense firmly in the past. 
  • edited September 27
    This is going to be another stinker of a game so not going into this one expecting an improvement in how we play. 

Do wonder if Jones has got the make-up of the midfield wrong though, and whether we'll end up trying to put that right in Jan.
  • Trademark 1-0 win.
  • I’m going to this one but not going to predict a result, could be anything I suppose. 🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Potts - A.Campbell - Anderson - Aneke - Leaburn - Godden'

My first reaction is that bench looks far too attacking. At least there'll be no temptation to get men behind the ball and hang on to a lead if we're lucky enough to find ourselves in that situation.
  • To be honest, I haven't got a clue as to what result to expect - our performances seem to be so erratic. We need to win these sort of games but not sure we will. I think it will probably be another dull war of attrition with us grinding out a 1-1 draw. If Miles Leaburn is on the bench, that will be a huge positive, but if Allan Campbell or REG start I will be very worried!
  • Bailey said:
    For me it's about team selection and formation. Jones is as probably dissatisfied with the lack of creation as we all are but what to do about it ? I will disagree with FA's team as I don't think Berry will start, there is also no place on the bench for Small, so there would be little cover for any injuries to the wingbacks, but you can't pick everyone so some will miss out. My wish for Leaburn, Dixon and Taylor to in the squad may be dashed but I will go with a draw and hope for a win to put last weeks nonsense firmly in the past. 
    I think it’s pretty likely he just goes back to the exact team that was winning before. So berry will be back in midfield 
  • Stevenage vs Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 28th September 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Scott Tallis

Introduction
    Once again the Addicks will be going into a weekend looking to bounce back after a disappointing performance - Last Saturday saw Charlton hosting a Blackpool side who appear to be under a proper Honeymoon period with their Manager, and it was a 90min match that we were never really in contention for - We've a chance to once again put that game to rights, when we visit Hertfordshire tomorrow afternoon.

The Opposition
    Name: Stevenage (15th) - Manager: Alex Revell
    Ground: Broadhall Way
    Last League Result: Wigan 0-0 Stevenage

What will live long in the memory, of many Addicks fans from our previous match, was the use of the dark arts by Blackpool to ensure that they could run the clock down and so ruin any momentum - It appears to be a feature that is spreading into Football at all levels, and for the time being is something we sadly need to get used to... Stevenage tomorrow, under Steve Evans have always been a side that have followed that approach, so its perhaps a good thing that he's buggered off to Rotherham

His replacement is Alex Revell, who is in his second stint now as Stevenage Manager - Having previously taken charge of the club for just over a year in February 2020, before being sacked with the club languishing at the bottom of League Two in November 2021; Revell has never managed elsewhere, he re-joined Stevenage in 2022 with the Youth Academy, before quickly re-joining the First Team coaching staff under Steve Evans.

Putting Steve Evans character aside, he's always going to be a difficult Manager to replace, and Stevenage find themselves in 15th struggling to replicate the season they had last season - They have two wins this season, both at Broadhill Way with victories coming against Shrewsbury and Barnsley, whilst they've tasted defeat at home on just one occasion, coming against Lincoln... Dan Kemp in Midfield will be the one to watch this weekend, having signed from MK Dons with impressive stats last term, whilst Elliott List is their top scorer with three goals to his name.

Brace yourselves for another classic League One encounter come 3pm tomorrow!!

Charlton Team News
    Fans will be eagerly awaiting the inclusion of Miles Leaburn, who could see his first involvement for the First Team this Saturday, the Academy Graduate is expected by many to be our main man up top this season, and there will be a lot of expectation when he does finally return. However given his lack of minutes over the last year, I doubt we'll see anything more than an appearance from the bench tomorrow.

Elsewhere and Thierry Small was an unfortunate replacement before we'd even got to Half-Time on Saturday, so could be another that drops out, with Josh Edwards returning to the side - Then you've got the infamous failed experiment that was Rarmani Edmonds-Green who came in for Alex Mitchell last Saturday, we should at least expect to see a return to the settled back three which has performed well to date this season.

Mannion
    Mitchell - Jones - Gillesphey
    Ramsay - Coventry - Docherty - Edwards
    Berry
    Ahadme - T.Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Potts - A.Campbell - Anderson - Aneke - Leaburn - Godden
    Has to be Godden in place of TC he was brought as May replacement so play him 
  • 0-2 win, Godden and Aneke
  • NabySarr said:
    Bailey said:
    For me it's about team selection and formation. Jones is as probably dissatisfied with the lack of creation as we all are but what to do about it ? I will disagree with FA's team as I don't think Berry will start, there is also no place on the bench for Small, so there would be little cover for any injuries to the wingbacks, but you can't pick everyone so some will miss out. My wish for Leaburn, Dixon and Taylor to in the squad may be dashed but I will go with a draw and hope for a win to put last weeks nonsense firmly in the past. 
    I think it’s pretty likely he just goes back to the exact team that was winning before. So berry will be back in midfield 
    Maybe Naby, he shocked me last week with his selection so perhaps he will think better to go with tried and tested. 
  • Not sure this going to be a classic. Stevenage will stay defensively strong and we will huff and puff but fail to blow them away. 0-0, not for purists.
  • Another grim 2-0 defeat.