Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Reading vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 31st August 2024 - 3pm KO

Reading vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 31st August 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Thomas Kirk

Introduction
Well you cant wish for a better start to the League than that, three wins from three, no goals conceded and four goals scored. Well the last stat could maybe be a little bit more impressive, however as we've already seen this season from the Addicks, we're slowly creating more chances, whilst we remain strong in defence... Victory against Bolton last week was an early benchmark, now though its important to continue this form and keep up the early pressure on the rest of the Division.

The Opposition
Name: Reading (12th) - Manager: Ruben Sellas
Ground: Select Car Leasing Stadium
Last League Result: Wrexham 3-0 Reading

Our league start couldn't have been more testing had we tried... Following on from last weeks win against losing Play-Off Finalists, we now face a side that could become a threat the longer we're forced to remain at this level - Reading for the time being, continue to be a mess off the pitch, although there does seem to be some light at the end of the tunnel, with a prospect takeover on the horizon. Thankfully for the Addicks, it could well be a takeover that happens to late for them to be a threat this season, but as we know, games are won on the pitch, and not in the boardroom.

As it is; Ruben Sellas is a Manager who could be too good for this level, and is ironic in some regard that he comes up against the man he replaced as Southampton Manager in 2023 - Already Sellas has an advantage against Nathan Jones, having ended up victorious in Jones' first outing as Charlton Manager, with Reading winning 2-0 back in February - It was a tight game that day which could have gone either way ahead of Reading taking the lead, which resulted in a classic Charlton breakdown that we've grown used to seeing in past years, but you'd hope to see something slightly different from Charlton this weekend.

Focus though returns to the Royals who have a full set of results already this season (Draw - Win - Defeat), their loss at Wrexham last weekend is proof that they'll have their defensive fragilities. Whilst Kelvin Ehibhatiomhan is their top scorer this term with two goals.

Charlton Team News
Oh I do love having to write a Match Preview on Transfer Deadline Day - Naturally what I say here could well change come 3pm tomorrow, however its slightly unlikely that we'll either see any new signings, or if there are any incomings... they'll potentially be rested and saved for the clash with Rotherham next weekend (Watch me be proved wrong once more), the beauty of having a squad that is winning games... Why change the winning formula?

In terms of the match day squad, and of course there could be changes, with Allan Campbell joining on loan from Luton Town, and likely to take his place on the bench, and so bolstering our Midfield options. Otherwise I suspect there will be few changes, even with Matt Godden having scored his first of the season last time out.

Mannion
Mitchell - Jones - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Coventry - Docherty - Small
Berry
Adahme - T.Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Watson - Edmonds-Green - Anderson - A.Campbell - Aneke - Godden

Comments

• 2-0 to us. Ahadme and Aneke.
  • edited August 30
    Another clean sheet for Merlin Jones's magicmen.

Will we win? Yeah probably.

0-1 (Cooking on Gassan if we score in the first ten minutes, Chuks if it's in the last ten ... and Berry good if it's anywhere in between)
  • Great preview as usual FA.
    About ten of my lot going tomorrow and we are going full of confidence. 
    The atmosphere in the Charlton dressing room must be really positive following three straight wins and I fully expect that to become four tomorrow. 
    A packed away end and Charlton fans will return home after watching another victory. 
    Reading 1 Charlton  2.
  • I remember each time you have done this during the transfer window and being caught out. I expect A Campbell to replace Anderson on bench, but I am normally wrong , 😁
  • Good preview.  Against my better judgement and my inherent pessimism when it comes to all things Charlton, I think we’re gonna win again. 1-0 to the rip-roaring reds (well, Lemons probably). 
  • 3-0 Charlton Adahme with a perfect hat trick 
  • 3-1 win. Think we'll finally concede (just the one though) and also be far too strong up front for Reading. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t necessarily buy into the Seth Plum school of thought for point accumulation, but this is a match that I would expect a team to be ‘fighting for promotion’ to get something out of. 

It’s hard to call, but I can see us nicking another tight game. 
  • fenaddick said:
    2-0 Addicks with some late goals. Reading’s threadbare squad won’t be able to cope with our intensity from about 70 mins 
    Good shout on the squad depth, they will be without Azeez of course, and I heard a few of their players from that Reading fan on Charlton Live yesterday are out.

With the poor transfer window, it does favour us. The smart money is definitely us, can see why anyone would be confident.
  • fenaddick said:
    2-0 Addicks with some late goals. Reading’s threadbare squad won’t be able to cope with our intensity from about 70 mins 
    Good shout on the squad depth, they will be without Azeez of course, and I heard a few of their players from that Reading fan on Charlton Live yesterday are out.

With the poor transfer window, it does favour us. The smart money is definitely us, can see why anyone would be confident.
    I wholeheartedly stole this opinion from listening to the same thing!
  • 1-2 Godden and Doherty 
  • 1-3 Adhame, Aneke, Godden  
  • Must admit I feel less confident about this one for some reason. 1-1. Still as very decent return from our first 4 games if we avoid defeat here. UTA.
  • Reading are still in a bad place off the field . Danger man Femi Azeez now added to their sales out the door.but can see this ending in a draw which wouldn’t be so bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you for a great preview. 
    0-1
    Chuks (88) in front of almost 3k Addicks and the local authority registers 115 decibels from the away end. 
  • Reading (3 wins) and Charlton (2) have alternated between wins in their last five league meetings, with the Royals winning 2-0 most recently in February last season.

None of the last 10 league meetings between Reading (6 wins) and Charlton Athletic (4 wins) have been drawn since a 2-2 stalemate in March 2009.

After losing 3-0 to Wrexham last time out, Reading will be looking to avoid losing successive league games for the first time since March 2024.

Charlton Athletic have won each of their last three league games and will be looking to make it four successive victories for the first time since November 2020.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/august/29/sky-bet-league-one--pre-match-stat-pack/

• Yep I'm another one who fancies a 0-1 away win, get the feeling it could be a bit of a struggle with a lovely late winner. 
  • We shouldn't get too hung up on the clean sheets. We'll conceed eventually and it could be tomorrow. Just keep on picking up those 3 points please Charlton.

Reading 1-3 Charlton.
  • Difficult game, bookies have Reading favorites. 1-1
  • The first match this season where we could handle, though not like, a defeat. A draw would be good, and a win would take us into the dreamland of being four points ahead of target. If we end up losing I would hope we can learn something from our performance nonetheless. After all a nutcase referee could do for us, or a goalkeeper having the game of his life, or god forbid an individual error, but otherwise we might have played well.
    I will be amongst the away support hoping to do my bit. A win would be amazing, but possible.