Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 10th August 2024 - 5:30pm KO

Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th August 2024 - 5:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Adam Herczeg

Introduction
Well its that time of the year again, we've entered the month of August, so inevitably means that the Football season has returned. Its a time of the year where everything is new, well nearly everything... We've got new opposition to face, a new pitch to play on, and new players brought in to hopefully challenge at the right end of the table, sadly the Division... that isn't new... Nor are our first opponents

The time for sitting on a beach somewhere enjoying a refreshing holiday is over... The same could be said for the players.

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic - Manager: Shaun Maloney
Ground: Brick Community Stadium
Last Season: 12th

First up is another side who have had their troubles on and off the pitch in recent years - Last year was always going to be a tough season for the Latics, given they started their League One campaign on -10 points... Given the challenges, it was a decent outcome for Shaun Maloney to get Wigan into 12th, where they'll no doubt be looking to make improvements this time around.

With this being the first game of the season, its all but impossible to predict how the game will go tomorrow, there has been plenty of movement amongst the Wigan ranks over the summer, with eight players joining, and thirteen outgoings... Of those joining the club, and Will Aimson in Defence from Exeter is probably the pick of the bunch, having impressed other Addicks fans here on CharltonLife when the announcement was made... In terms of Pre-Season, well who plays attention to those results, however, Wigan managed to pick up two wins (Accrington and AFC Flyde), two draws (Chorley and Blackburn Rovers), whilst ending their summer schedule with two defeats coming against Tranmere and Barrow respectfully.

Various prediction sites have Wigan ending around mid-table, however this is League One and I cant see anyone standing out too early on.

Charlton Team News
Its a bit like Christmas Day isn't it... You wake up on said morning thinking and hoping that you've been given the best and newest toys that were on your wish list, you walk downstairs, and see a mound of presents and start wondering what everything could be - Well that's the position we're in now with Charlton, the majority of our Transfer Business has been done and dusted, now is the time to see if we've been given a PS5 or some hand me down Atari that'll break after the first use... We've certainly had a few of those gifts in recent years.

If I had to pick someone from Pre-Season though, its got to be existing player... Tyreece Campbell appears to have hit the ground running over the summer playing in a more central role, and having opened the scoring against Portsmouth last week, whilst given the No.7 shirt... Well it'll be a surprise not to see him start ahead of other more natural strikers like Matt Godden or Daniel Kanu.

Mannion
A.Mitchell - Jones - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Coventry - Docherty - Edwards
Anderson
Adahme - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Edmonds-Green - Small - Berry - Taylor - Aneke - Godden

Comments

• Wigan 2 - Charlton 0
  • Wigan Athletic have won just two of their last seven league games against Charlton Athletic (D2 L3) despite scoring exactly two goals in five of those matches.

Charlton Athletic have won three of their nine away league games against Wigan Athletic (D1 L5), winning this exact fixture 3-2 last season.

Wigan Athletic have won just one of their last four opening games of a league season (D1 L2), though that victory came last season, a 2-1 victory over Derby County.

Charlton Athletic are unbeaten across their last five opening games of a league season (W3 D2) since losing 2-1 to Sunderland to start off 2018-19.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/august/09/sky-bet-league-one--pre-match-stat-pack/

• 3-1 Addicks - Tyreece, Docherty, Ahadme 
  • 2-1 Wigan after we take the lead through TC. 2 goals 70th onwards for Wigan
  • I like your team setup, I don't think that's far from the mark. I'm going to the game, but that's not too difficult as I live in Altricham, S Manchester. If we can show the pressing energy that we showed against Pompey in the pre season, then I'm quite excited. My only concern is still the midfield. I need to see more of the axis of Docherty, Coventry and Anderson against decent opposition. However, if Jones tactics work the midfielders role is closing down and pressing high, to give space to the wing backs. If this tactic works, then the need for a creative midfielder is redundant.
  • NJ seems to like Berry, I think he will start, probably in place of Anderson
  • 2-2 after going behind twice 
  • If we want to be at the top end of the table, Wigan are a team we should really be beating. 

However, first game of the season so I can imagine it'll be a draw. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It will be interesting to see NJs preferred lineup.  Edwards or Small, Berry or Karoy, which of TC/Godden/Kanu
  • 1-1 (but hoping 1-2).
  • It will be interesting to see NJs preferred lineup.  Edwards or Small, Berry or Karoy, which of TC/Godden/Kanu
    Makes a change to have some decent choices in various positions without thinking "oh my God he's not starting is he". 
  • 1-2 victory ✌️ the league gets off to a good start 
  • 0-2 Charlton
  • Not sure about the result but it's a work in progress so I'd be happy with a draw, put the same effort and application that was evident against Pompey and a result is possible. 
  • ross1 said:
    NJ seems to like Berry, I think he will start, probably in place of Anderson
    He also seems to like Anderson. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I have decided to be upbeat this season.

Let's see how long it lasts...  0-2 to the Addicks!
  • edited August 9
    Yay, football is back, Charlton are back and there is hope. The past 2 seasons it was all gone by Sept so lets hope for a better start. A very tough first few fixtures and the more points on board the better. Wigan are always difficult to beat and I just hope we can create chances. 2-1 Wigan but very close.
  • COYR 
  • We are winning this one…3-1 to NJ’s Red & White Army…🙌
  • I love reading the predictions made for the 1st game of the season ........ based on nothing at all really    :p

• 2-1 defeat and CL goes into meltdown.

No idea how this one goes 
  • I'm going with a Desmond 2-2. 

Campbell and Aneke to score. 
  • 0-2 TC brace & cheering on from a bar in Lanzarote COYR 
  • Told my Dad earlier to remember to watch but also told him he wouldn’t recognise many players and named the same starting eleven as the preview above. I’m going for a 2-1 win, no clean sheet but a goal apiece for Gas and Mitchell.