Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy squad update

The following U21s players, whose contracts are set to expire this summer, have not been offered a new contract:

Prince Adegoke, Jason Adigun, Nazir Bakrin, Matt Dench, Ralfi Hand, Tolu Ladapo, Henry Molyneux, Chibike Okechukwu, Jacob Roddy, Jeremy Santos, Ryan Viggars, Euan Williams.

The following U18s players will leave the club this summer:

James Batt, Mikey Berry, David Danso, Brook Myers, Harmony Okwumo, Jadon Yamoah.

James Batt, Chibike Okechukwu and Ryan Viggars will return to Charlton in July to continue their rehabilitation from long-term injuries. Once fit, they will leave the club.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/mens-academy-squad-update

Comments

• Options
    Always appreciate the club allowing players to return to rehab long term injuries.

As a very casual observer of the youth teams, the only one that surprised me was Molyneux. Seemed to be highly rated, believe he's 18/9, and at one point was third choice keeper at the club last year. That says far more about the goalkeeper depth at the club than it does about him, but still.

Keeper does remain the position where I worry about depth, especially since it seemed to be a real position of strength in the youth teams a couple years ago. A lot of that is having youth players move, namely Beedle and Kone. Thus is the nature of modern football, but man, Beedle looks good.
  • Options
    It is pretty clear from the u21 results this year that any of the kids in that age group with upside potential were already in the mix with the senior squad.  The rest of them had the look of non league players.  The only one that is a little disappointing is Adigun.  Going back a couple years, most of us would have thought he would be on the verge of breaking into the main squad by now but he hasn’t developed as quickly as the likes of Anderson and Kanu
  • Options
    There looks like a big re shaping going on. Surprised about Adigun, and I suppose the thinking about retaining Toure is he’s big and powerful.
  • Options
    Quite a clearout, but when you consider the number of academy players now part of the 1st team squad, or on the fringes, still a very good return.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Interestingly the grapevine tells me that the current crop of U16's is the best we've ever had with 3 current England Internationals so it's clearly very competitive in that environment
    Surely this is why we’re seeing lots of U21s released? U16s push up to U18 who in turn push up to U21. Feels like if you’re not in and around the first team squad by about 19/20 you’re likely to be released 
  • Options
    As has been said, it is a pity injuries prevented Euan Williams from showing us his potential. Even more sadly, both Euan and Richard Chin have had exactly the same journey - same age, same junior club, same school, same pro club, same end. Hopefully both will still have a career in football if that is what they still want. 

No news of a contract extension for Zach Mitchell? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As has been said, it is a pity injuries prevented Euan Williams from showing us his potential. Even more sadly, both Euan and Richard Chin have had exactly the same journey - same age, same junior club, same school, same pro club, same end. Hopefully both will still have a career in football if that is what they still want. 

No news of a contract extension for Zach Mitchell? 
    They haven’t mentioned those still under contract, which includes Mitchell. He has another year.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Interestingly the grapevine tells me that the current crop of U16's is the best we've ever had with 3 current England Internationals so it's clearly very competitive in that environment
    I’m glad @Grapevine49 told you rather than posting it, you would still be reading it 😂
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I’m glad @Grapevine49 told you rather than posting it, you would still be reading it 😂
    Or what @CoveredEndAndy posted 2 hours ago 😡
  • Options
    Bye Roddy. Thanks for the memories.
    He had a three year deal?

some kids go to uni for 3 years, he got to call himself a pro footballer instead!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Sounds great. Let's hope they all sign professional in a year or two then. Promotion to the Championship may be even more important this season to be able to compete for their signatures.
  • Options
    I didn't get a chance to watch the U16s final , is there anyone that really really stuck out from that side?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Swisdom said:
    Surely this is why we’re seeing lots of U21s released? U16s push up to U18 who in turn push up to U21. Feels like if you’re not in and around the first team squad by about 19/20 you’re likely to be released 
    One of the parents of an under 18 player told me at a recent game that the squad has been told the majority of them will not be moving up to the under 21s.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    fenaddick said:
    Swisdom said:
    One of the parents of an under 18 player told me at a recent game that the squad has been told the majority of them will not be moving up to the under 21s.

Straight to the first team?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    fenaddick said:
    Swisdom said:
    Only six named as released on the OS.
  • Options
    Casey, Rylah, Enslin, Laqeretabua and Gough are the five second year scholars who are signed and will move up (too old for U18).

Mason Hunter is only player from that year whose status I don't know. He's not on any released list, so possibly signed (If he is, I missed it).

All other second years are named on that released list.
  • Options
    Casey, Rylah, Enslin, Laqeretabua and Gough are the five second year scholars who are signed and will move up (too old for U18).

Mason Hunter is only player from that year whose status I don't know. He's not on any released list, so possibly signed (If he is, I missed it).

All other second years are named on that released list.

5 U18's signing pro still sounds like a comparatively decent number I think.  Last year was unusual in that I think all got one.
  • Options
    edited May 23
    Roddy released. Can't believe we've let our first choice left-back leave on a free
  • Options
    Was given a copy of the 2023/24 Academy Handbook today for the museum.

This is issued to all players and parents and sets out the rules and expectations and covers nutrition, safeguarding and a lot of other areas.

A couple of extracts here.

• Options