Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad - EURO 2024

Comments

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Don't get what Southgate sees in Lewis Dunk. Other than that I don't have too many qualms with the squad. 
    I think Guehi and maybe Braithwaite might be ahead of him now.

Tomori probably should be too.

Yeah I'd happily put all 3 of them ahead of Dunk. 
  • Options
    I can honestly hand on heart say I'd never heard of 

Branthwaite
    Quansah
    Wharton

Clearly I don't watch as much football as I used to
    Same here.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    The problem is going to be fitting Saka, Foden, Bellingham and Gordon into the same team. That’s not even considering Cole Palmer. Embarrassment of riches.

I agree that Bellingham is too good going forward to be “wasted” in a holding or box-to-box role.

He’d obviously be very good at it but he has a special ability to win games out of nothing and for that to be possible you want him as close to the opposition penalty area as possible at all times.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
                       Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
                  Rice   Bellingham 
                        Foden
    Saka             Kane        Gordon

Think Gordon could do a very good job wide left. 
    I don't understand why you would play Bellingham as defensive midfielder when he is in running for Ballon D'Or as a number 10
    Double pivot innit. He can play any position.
  • Options
    that list of forwards is outrageous. so, so much talent. time to return to the old 2-3-5 formation
  • Options
    I'd struggle to cut any of the attacking players really. I know a couple have to miss out but I am really struggling to make cases to leave any of them at home. 
  • Options
    Interesting that for the last two tournaments two and three years ago the general
    clamour was for the inclusion of Grealish and this time last year it was for Maddison. Now there half a chance that neither will be in the final squad never mind the starting 11.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t ‘get’ Anthony Gordon, haven’t ever massively rated him but then probably not seen enough of him
  • Options
    Shows how little I have followed of the premiership this season. Some players I've never heard of. Manioo, guehi, quansah, Wharton.
    Nor has it been called the Premiership since 2007. But it's fair to say if you haven't followed it this year then there's a fair few names who won't mean much to you. 
  • Options
    I know it’s pretty academic but what is the point of including Trafford who was ridiculously bad for Burnley and got dropped for the second half of the season and leaving out a (just) fit again Pope or Butland who has been excellent albeit in a poor quality league?
  • Options
    edited May 21
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd struggle to cut any of the attacking players really. I know a couple have to miss out but I am really struggling to make cases to leave any of them at home. 
    Maddison & Grealish are the only obvious ones to go for me. Toney is in danger because he’s been off the boil but could see him getting in the 26 off the strength of his penalties alone.
  • Options
    The midfield worries me
    me too, though Bellingham and Maddison mis-classed as 'forwards' ?
  • Options
    I know it’s pretty academic but what is the point of including Trafford who was ridiculously bad for Burnley and got dropped for the second half of the season and leaving out a (just) fit again Pope or Butland who has been excellent albeit in a poor quality league?
    I think Trafford, Pope or Butland would get dropped from the final squad anyway so they’re probably just including the youngest in the camp for the experience. That’s my guess…
  • Options
    I think Trafford, Pope or Butland would get dropped from the final squad anyway so they’re probably just including the youngest in the camp for the experience. That’s my guess…
    Trafford ended the season as relegated Burnley's number 2 keeper
  • Options
    edited May 21
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Don't get what Southgate sees in Lewis Dunk. Other than that I don't have too many qualms with the squad. 
    I think Guehi and maybe Braithwaite might be ahead of him now.

Tomori probably should be too.

Yeah I'd happily put all 3 of them ahead of Dunk. 
    Arguably Braithwaite and Guehi could/should be ahead of Maguire, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And he’s number 4 for England which means he has zero chance of playing. I acknowledge that he went off the boil in a team that was struggling but doesn’t change the fact that he’s a very talented goalkeeper. 

Part of the team that won the U21 Euros and there’s a very good chance he will be the England number one in four or five years. 

He will get more out of the experience than Pope or Butland. Both of them would probably prefer to be on holiday than a one week training camp before being cut from the final squad anyway.
  • Options
    And he’s number 4 for England which means he has zero chance of playing. I acknowledge that he went off the boil in a team that was struggling but doesn’t change the fact that he’s a very talented goalkeeper. 

Part of the team that won the U21 Euros and there’s a very good chance he will be the England number one in four or five years. 

He will get more out of the experience than Pope or Butland. Both of them would probably prefer to be on holiday than a one week training camp before being cut from the final squad anyway.
    I agree with you but you can bet your boots that if Pickford and the other two top choices slip in the shower and crock themselves over the next month, there is no way on this earth that Trafford would be first choice. Pope and Butland would be dragged off whatever beach they happen to be on and put on a plane to the finals forthwith!  I get the experience bit but on the evidence of this season Trafford has as much chance of becoming England's future no 1 as I have and I’m a one legged Scottish bloke. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Maddison & Grealish are the only obvious ones to go for me. Toney is in danger because he’s been off the boil but could see him getting in the 26 off the strength of his penalties alone.

Yeah I could see Toney as a super sub making it. Grealish hasn't been in great form and Maddisons injuries could make him a doubt. Would be very tempted to keep Jarrod Bowen involved. 
  • Options
    I think Bowen will be in the final squad 
  • Options
    Some surprising omissions but also quite glad about it too. He’s finally gone with players who are playing and playing well for their clubs.

Right now, for me, the final 26 man squad should be:

Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson

Walker, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Gomez, Konsa, Guehi, Shaw

Rice, Alexander-Arnold, Bellingham, Gallagher, Mainoo

Saka, Foden, Palmer, Gordon, Grealish, Maddison, Bowen

Kane, Toney, Watkins

Players unlucky to miss out more than most would be Branthwaite and Eze where you could make a case of either being included instead of one other. Branthwaite instead of probably Guehi and Eze instead of maybe Maddison or Bowen.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think Bowen will be in the final squad 
    he certainly should be
  • Options
    Southgate really doesn't rate Tomori does he? 
    Clearly not.

Even though i do rate Quansah and i'm sure he won't make the final squad, i don't see how a kid who started 13 league games for Liverpool is ahead of a guy who plays for AC Milan every week. 
    Same can be said for Ruben Loftus-Cheek. Had a fantastic season for Milan this year.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
                       Pickford
    Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
                  Rice   Bellingham 
                        Foden
    Saka             Kane        Gordon

Think Gordon could do a very good job wide left. 
    I don't understand why you would play Bellingham as defensive midfielder when he is in running for Ballon D'Or as a number 10
    Hasn't he been playing deeper for RM in the second half of the season?
  • Options
    edited May 21
    Don’t see any problem with it, probably would of liked a natural left back in there with Shaw, Mitchell maybe 🤢

Defence is a massive area we need to get right, and over doing it to for him to have a closer look I don’t mind. 

Ultimately, there is always gonna be holes picked, but as long as we have a strong 18/19 players that’s all that matters as the rest will be back up.

Keep seeing people saying rice Bellingham Foden midfield but that gets broken through the lines the defence will be exposed, it happened continually against Brazil in a recent friendly.
  • Options
    I saw Branthwaite play in the flesh against Bournemouth recently. The lad has clearly got talent, the physicality and bags of potential. But he also made a couple of errors and got caught out of position a couple of times.

I don't expect him to make the cut but he's only going to benefit from being around the squad and I can easily see him being a mainstay in the not too distant future. Our defence is clearly our Achilles heal and his development this season is hugely encouraging.