Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Covers better than the original

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 21
    Best cover for me, by far and away is It's My Life by No Doubt originally by Talk Talk

The bass is absolutely mesmerising and one of my favourite bass sounds on any song, never get tired of it, and what a singer Gwen Stefani is, love a bit of No Doubt.

After that, No Easy Way out cover by Bullet for my Valentine. A fantastic homeage to Robert Tepper. Maybe not better, but certainly a great cover for me.

Then I'd say Guns N' Roses cover of Live and Let Die by the Wings. Just think the pacing of the song is a lot better and the tempo throughout is fantastic. Although it has to be said, The Wings version really is a masterpiece and probably my favourite Bond song tied with Duran Durans, A View to a Kill. Although, a James Bond themes is probably worth a whole new thread on its own. What a selection to choose from.

Sure there's plenty more on my playlists, but those are my standout 3 top of my head 
  • Options
    Dolly Parton's version of Stairway to Heaven is better than than that dreadful screaming "original" (actually stolen by Page as proved in court)
    'Fraid not Henry...

Led Zeppelin have won a court appeal over their iconic song Stairway To Heaven, which was accused of ripping off another band. The 9th US Circuit Court of the Appeals restored a jury verdict that found Led Zeppelin had not stolen the song's opening riff from the band Spirit.

The estate of Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe, who passed away in 1997, claimed Stairway to Heaven had violated the copyright of a 1968 song called Taurus....

• Options
    This Mortal Coil's "Song to the Siren" is better than Tim Buckley's
    Bloody hell reading this on the train & 2 mins ago just thought of This Mortal Coil. Great version can't think of the singers name off hand. 
    Liz Fraser, who was in the Cocteau Twins, and is Scott Fraser's aunt.
    She was good in Carry On films as well
  • Options
    Dolly Parton's version of Stairway to Heaven is better than than that dreadful screaming "original" (actually stolen by Page as proved in court)
    'Fraid not Henry...

Led Zeppelin have won a court appeal over their iconic song Stairway To Heaven, which was accused of ripping off another band. The 9th US Circuit Court of the Appeals restored a jury verdict that found Led Zeppelin had not stolen the song's opening riff from the band Spirit.

The estate of Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe, who passed away in 1997, claimed Stairway to Heaven had violated the copyright of a 1968 song called Taurus....

The people on the jury knew.
  • Options
    Addickted (god bless him), will be poking his tongue out at you Henry.
  • Options
    He's not alone on that one either...🙄
  • Options
    And you're all wrong.  B)
  • Options
    Not better but equally brilliant

The Cowboy Junkies strung out version of the Velvet Underground's Sweet Jane from the Trinity Sessions.
  • Options
    edited May 21
    And you're all wrong.  B)
    Just for you Henry...the ONLY version  close to the original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZ_EFAmj08

• Options
    The Ventures fine instrumental ‘Walk Don’t Run’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7hgzna3E&pp=ygUXdmVudHVyZXMgd2FsayBkb24ndCBydW4%3D

Was covered by a fine version by The Pink Fairies who added lyrics.
    Version below, Walk Don’t Run starts after one minute.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=os9ZRm6IUq8&pp=ygUbcGluayBmYWlyaWVzIHdhbGsgZG9uJ3QgcnVu

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aretha .. R E S P E C T
  • Options
    Aine O'Boyle's version of Richard Thompson's 'Beeswing' is a curious one because she inverts the lyrics so it is the female perspective rather than the male. Of course her gentle piano is no match for Thompson's glorious guitar but it's well worth a look.
  • Options
    Alien ant farm’s version of smooth criminal anyone?