Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Covers better than the original

Comments

• Options
    Yep, like that version too, but I'd stick with my one.  I guess all three conjure up the zeitgeist of the generation. 
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Sure I saw someone doubting Black Sabbath and War Pigs…sacrilege, shame on you, that is a classic…
    They go together like fish n chips ffs
  • Options
    I Shall Be Released by the Tom Robinson Band
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Stig said:
    Dear Prudence - Soiuxsie & The Banshees
    Viva Las Vegas - Dead Kennedys
    Have I The Right - Dead Kennedys
    White Lightnin - The Fall
    Rollin Dany - The Fall
    The Day Before You Came - Blancmange
    The cover version of this was better, but not the (admittedly acceptable) Fall effort. George Jones's is the best.   

One from me: Love Hurts -Roy Orbison  
  • Options
    Is that it @Gribbo
    Yeah mate
  • Options
    Controversial one for the 80s soul peeps but although both tracks are great (and I love the stuff Kashif produces), I prefer Feedback’s version of Howard Johnson’s ‘So Fine’.
  • Options
    It Must Be Live, by Madness.

Much as a like the Labi Siffre version, I prefer the Madness set up. Madness were one of my introductions to music, so this song stuck. I even had it as my wedding, sung by a troubadour. 
  • Options
    I prefer Frankie Goes To Hollywood's version of Born to Run over Bruce Springsteen's.
  • Options
    I prefer Frankie Goes To Hollywood's version of Born to Run over Bruce Springsteen's.

Wash your mouth out!

Nobody beats The Boss.
  • Options
    It Must Be Live, by Madness.

Much as a like the Labi Siffre version, I prefer the Madness set up. Madness were one of my introductions to music, so this song stuck. I even had it as my wedding, sung by a troubadour. 
    Not heard that one. I know Madness covered Siffre's It Must Be Love, is it as good as that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Wedding Present have done some excellent cover versions over the years. Felicity, Getting Better, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Go Wild in Country, Come Up and See Me to name a few.
  • Options
    Alone Again Or - The Damned
    Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill
    Hanging On The Telephone - Blondie
    Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
    My Way - Sid Vicious
  • Options
    There are some mentally bad calls on this thread 🥺😂. I think a couple of them are being sarcastic but several clearly are not
  • Options
    Oasis - I am the Walrus (I love the beatles version as well)
    Faith No More - Easy
    Peter Frampton - Baby I Love Your Ways
    Ramones - Baby I Love You (love the original too)
    Manic St Preachers - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
    The Last Shadow Puppets - In the Heat of the Morning
    Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World
    Happy Mondays - Step On
  • Options
    The Wedding Present have done some excellent cover versions over the years. Felicity, Getting Better, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Go Wild in Country, Come Up and See Me to name a few.
    Steve Harley said The Weddoes cover of ‘Come Up’ was the only version to interpret the sentiment of the song.
  • Options
    Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O’Connor although arguably it’s not a cover
    Cover or not, it’s undeniably brilliant.*

*As in, anybody who says it’s not brilliant doesn’t know what they’re talking about.
  • Options
    Felicity brilliant, loved the Weddoes (still do) 
  • Options
    Kirsty McColl, New England.  Much as I like Billy’s original, this is just better.
  • Options
    A lot of Sha Na Na’s output is done with more verve and panache than the originals, particularly the live version of tell Laura I love her.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Rollin Dany - The Fall
    Not sure about Have I the Right. This is quite wonderful, even though it’s obviously not live. https://youtu.be/2ZUWHfI6EuE?feature=shared

and here’s something about the drummer
    https://youtu.be/84QbsQeTLhw?feature=shared
    who, as I’m sure you all know, was a woman in what was very much regarded as a man’s world. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m with you on that, especially the live version. 
  • Options
    a few soulful ones I can think of would be, 

Candi Staton - Stand by your man
    Jimmy Ruffin - This Guys in Love With You
    Margie Joseph - Stop in the name of Love 

• Options
    Controversial one but I always preferred the FYC’s version of Suspicious Minds to the original. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Creep - Richard Cheese
    You crack me up, i assume you're joking.
  • Options
    Beyond The Sea - George Benson
  • Options
    edited May 17
    The Only Way Is Up - Yazz. On listening,  it's hard to belive there is only eight years between the original and this cover. The disco/funk thing was pretty much over by 1980, replaced by electronic music in pop.

Got My Mind Set On You - George Harrison. The ex Beatle injects some energy into the original.

Everybody's Talkin - Harry Nilsson. Better in every way.

Red Red Wine - UB40. The original is grey and a painful listen. UB40, kings of the second hard song!

• Options
    Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_BQYbbZ5U 
  • Options
    Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O’Connor although arguably it’s not a cover
    Think it is a cover.
    Prince wrote and put it out with one of his side projects in the mid 80s. As far as i know it was just an album track.
  • Options
    The Human League mk1 - youve lost that loving feeling 
     https://youtu.be/O9h4ZQkGb9s?si=TbIH04LUX23WRtrk

The Human League mk1 - Gordons Gin 
    https://youtu.be/L3j0iN0oZ_U?si=n1LeHRD7K0osRm4o

Each to their own , a couple i really like , and yes i know ones a advert ! 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Rollin Dany - The Fall
    The cover version of this was better, but not the (admittedly acceptable) Fall effort. George Jones's is the best.   

One from me: Love Hurts -Roy Orbison  
    I will check it out. Cheers!