Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Netflix

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:
    Baby Reindeer, fkn awful. Hippy crap.

If you want a short summary, weirdo stalker becomes obsessed with another weirdo, who then encourages the weird stalker, as he's probably an even bigger weirdo. Complete drag, and a few scenes that were better left to the imagination probably. 

98% on rotten tomatoes, absolutely ridiculous. They've got Sopranos down as 94%, which is a masterpiece.  That website can't be trusted at all. 
    Genuinely interested, not digging you out, but what was “hippy” about it?
    There is no substance behind it, it's the kind of show my hipster mates would enjoy, and I like using the word cause I think it sounds funny.

My reasoning in the form of a gif: 

No substance behind it? I found it incredibly emotive. They crammed a lot into a handful of episodes.

Netflix does have a lot of overatted content. Walking Dead has 78% on Rotten Tomatoes. That was a real drag. 🥱
    No I mean the word hippie, when I say it I'm just saying it for the sake of saying it 😂 I've edited it cause I see why it may read like that. 

I know the show itself had a lot going on, I just didn't enjoy it, and think it's been a bit of a hype job. True crime and obscure stories like this seem to be all the all the range at the moment. Personally, I don't enjoy any of it. The Jeffrey Dahmer story was another one gathering a lot of hype on social media, and I found it completely pants.

I've never watched walking Dead the whole way, only one season. I didn't find myself very engaged which is odd, as I love a series binge, and I love doomsday/apocalyptic/zombie type films. Might try it again at some point. 
    I enjoyed the Jeffrey Dahmer dramatisation too. I'm not a massive TV lover. I only watched the first series' of Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and succession. The episodes were very long with and didn't hold my attention. 

It's for the best that we don't all have the same taste otherwise we'd all be sat around watching Elvis Presley films.

For ballance, i enjoyed Fallout, Breaking Bad, the Last of Us and some of the Star Wars shows.

Yep, it would be rather boring if we all enjoyed the same things. Fallout is on my list, although I never played the games so I haven't hurried to it. Ditto Last of Us

Love Breaking Bad, timeless. Love anything to do with Star Wars, even the stuff that's not seen as good by the Star Wars fanatics I enjoy, as I just love the lure of it all. 

I am definitely more drawn towards make belief/fantasy or English/American dramas with a bit of realism in them, rather than the true crime stuff.
    Did you watch Better Call Saul? I stuck with it for two and a half series before giving up, that was a drag...

Similar with Westworld, really enjoyed the first series, second one was dull so abandoned....
  • Options
    edited May 14
    Cobra Kai is always a good binge, final season will be coming out later in the year

Edit: Just realised its coming out in July, although looks like they're doing a proof faff with the release
  • Options
    Much of what I have seen on Netflix is mediocre and generally the content is average for the monthly fee they charge.

There is a comment above that Baby Reindeer could have been on Channel 5…. I imagine this is the same for most of the programmes on Netflix.

i don’t understand, especially in these days of the cost of living crisis why people including me are spending money on this. It’s like an essential like an SUV, a grey front door and Heart FM.
  • Options
    Much of what I have seen on Netflix is mediocre and generally the content is average for the monthly fee they charge.

There is a comment above that Baby Reindeer could have been on Channel 5…. I imagine this is the same for most of the programmes on Netflix.

i don’t understand, especially in these days of the cost of living crisis why people including me are spending money on this. It’s like an essential like an SUV, a grey front door and Heart FM.
    Especially when its pretty easy to Sail to Seven Seas again.

Netflix was a great way to combat piracy, but unfortunately the Corporations got lazy; Netflix / Amazon Prime / Disney / Apple / Paramount, am I missing anyone? - Probably am... By having these endless streaming services, their greed has just pushed people back to what they'd initially stopped
  • Options
    Cobra Kai is always a good binge, final season will be coming out later in the year

Edit: Just realised its coming out in July, although looks like they're doing a proof faff with the release
    Cobra Kai was fun to start with for the nostalgia, but it’s gone on waaaay too long now. 
  • Options
    Power and all the spin offs were good for some easy watching American guff 
  • Options
    edited May 15
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:

If you want a short summary, weirdo stalker becomes obsessed with another weirdo, who then encourages the weird stalker, as he's probably an even bigger weirdo. Complete drag, and a few scenes that were better left to the imagination probably. 

98% on rotten tomatoes, absolutely ridiculous. They've got Sopranos down as 94%, which is a masterpiece.  That website can't be trusted at all. 
    There is no substance behind it, it's the kind of show my hipster mates would enjoy, and I like using the word cause I think it sounds funny.

No substance behind it? I found it incredibly emotive. They crammed a lot into a handful of episodes.

Netflix does have a lot of overatted content. Walking Dead has 78% on Rotten Tomatoes. That was a real drag. 🥱
    No I mean the word hippie, when I say it I'm just saying it for the sake of saying it 😂 I've edited it cause I see why it may read like that. 

I know the show itself had a lot going on, I just didn't enjoy it, and think it's been a bit of a hype job. True crime and obscure stories like this seem to be all the all the range at the moment. Personally, I don't enjoy any of it. The Jeffrey Dahmer story was another one gathering a lot of hype on social media, and I found it completely pants.

I've never watched walking Dead the whole way, only one season. I didn't find myself very engaged which is odd, as I love a series binge, and I love doomsday/apocalyptic/zombie type films. Might try it again at some point. 
    I enjoyed the Jeffrey Dahmer dramatisation too. I'm not a massive TV lover. I only watched the first series' of Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and succession. The episodes were very long with and didn't hold my attention. 

It's for the best that we don't all have the same taste otherwise we'd all be sat around watching Elvis Presley films.

For ballance, i enjoyed Fallout, Breaking Bad, the Last of Us and some of the Star Wars shows.

Yep, it would be rather boring if we all enjoyed the same things. Fallout is on my list, although I never played the games so I haven't hurried to it. Ditto Last of Us

Love Breaking Bad, timeless. Love anything to do with Star Wars, even the stuff that's not seen as good by the Star Wars fanatics I enjoy, as I just love the lure of it all. 

I am definitely more drawn towards make belief/fantasy or English/American dramas with a bit of realism in them, rather than the true crime stuff.
    Did you watch Better Call Saul? I stuck with it for two and a half series before giving up, that was a drag...

Similar with Westworld, really enjoyed the first series, second one was dull so abandoned....
    Given all your comments on this thread I think I align with you perfectly! I watched exactly the same amount of Saul, Westworld, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones in particular I just didn't get. 

Loved Fallout and Breaking Bad but haven't given the other two a go. 

Haven't watched Baby Reindeer and I'm not sure if I will, but whilst knowing the bare minimum of the storyline, when I look into the eyes of Gadd and the stalker woman on Piers Morgan (and I haven't seen either of them talk, just stills) there's something "odd" about both of them in my opinion. 
  • Options
    The Brothers Sun is an enjoyable series on Netflix
  • Options
    Also Netflix has some great documentaries;

Dont fuck with the cats
    Night Stalker
    Age of the Samurai
    Tiger King

• Options
    The Brothers Sun is an enjoyable series on Netflix
    Gave up on that one after a couple of episodes.

Boy Swallows Universe is good (another on Netflix). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:

If you like Post Apocalypse stuff then Last of Us and Fallout, quite different shows, are highly enjoyable and very deserving of the critical praise.
  • Options
    Hilarious comments regarding Baby Reindeer. There's a reason he's not right in the head and cringey. That said I thought it was just a good show, 4/5. I don't get it being rated higher than The Sopranos.

Last time something got massive plaudits that i thought was just good was Slumdog Millionaire.

I liked Better Call Saul, more due to the character than the story. Surprised it had as many series as it did.

Kobra Kai is what i pay my subscription for! Also The Crown which was very good apart from the last season.
  • Options
    Anybody know what Baby Reindeer is like ?
  • Options
    Don't think it's come up. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    se9addick said:

Couldn't get in to Better Call Sault, same as El Camino, think both were a bit unnecessary maybe? Didn't find either as gripping as BB. I think I also watched about 2 seasons before I gave up on it.

Love Cobra Kai, genuinely think it's one of the best things they've done. Has a surprisingly decent script and a lot of character development, when you consider what the show is based around, and a lot of decent actors. 

It's never easy revisting classics or making spin-offs, but I think it's the perfect homage to the original films.  It also helps that John Lawrence is hilarious in it. I look forward to the last season. 
  • Options

• Options
    Hilarious comments regarding Baby Reindeer. There's a reason he's not right in the head and cringey. That said I thought it was just a good show, 4/5. I don't get it being rated higher than The Sopranos.

Last time something got massive plaudits that i thought was just good was Slumdog Millionaire.

I liked Better Call Saul, more due to the character than the story. Surprised it had as many series as it did.

Kobra Kai is what i pay my subscription for! Also The Crown which was very good apart from the last season.
    It was great, but doesn't stop him being a bellend, he obviously went through a lot but even admitted he liked the attention and instigated a lot of it himself. Again though, the person who triggered all this in the first place goes nameless, while she gets hung out to dry. They both have mental health problems and the TV exec should be in prison. 
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has seen Dark but it's possibly the best tv show I've watched in a long time. It's like Stranger Things (80's nostalgia) but, for lack of a better word, darker. 

It's German so you'll have to stomach subtitles but it's worth it. 
  • Options
    Undercover,  Dutch/Belgian crime thriller i thought was class. Some parts unintentionally hilarious due to the translation and the dubbing but a very decent production all in. Has a great protagonist in Ferrie who has had some spinoff stuff made featuring his character 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

It was great, but doesn't stop him being a bellend, he obviously went through a lot but even admitted he liked the attention and instigated a lot of it himself. Again though, the person who triggered all this in the first place goes nameless, while she gets hung out to dry. They both have mental health problems and the TV exec should be in prison. 
    The comment was aimed at people who didn't get it. As for being a bellend, he was very open and honest about it. Clearly a mental health issue.

I expect there are numerous execs like him and they should all be in prison. Maybe he made the show to get the ball rolling? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know any good shows for hippies? 
  • Options
    The Midnight Gospel is incredible. 
  • Options
    anything by Cheech & Chong ..
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If you haven’t seen the film ‘where the crawdads sing’ zit is on netflicks now.
    It is excellent.
    Really didnt like that - neither did my missus or the mother in law and they are usually all over that type of film
  • Options
    At a slight tangent started listening to a podcast with Richard Osnan called The Rest is Entertainment. 

Some interesting snippets on how TV and film financing works and why / how Netflix works versus the BBC etc. 

Worth a listen. 
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Murder in Successville. How did this pass me by? Haven't cracked up this much since Derry Girls. 
  • Options
    I'm six episodes into Ripley. I really like it. 

Shot in black and white, it's arty, a bit weird and very, very dark. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Murder in Successville. How did this pass me by? Haven't cracked up this much since Derry Girls. 
    They also have the American version “murderville” 

(although I didn’t get on with that one)