Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• barstool said:
    When do they travel to Slovenia for pre season, imagine a few new faces before then
     Botox, or plastic surgery?
  • RedRobin said:
    Cawley has said on his pod that Ipswich want £1m for Ahadme. 
    Is he really that good?

If he is, and worth getting, couldn’t we do a fee say 500k over 3 years, and another if we got promotion to league one, would then give us a budget left to play with.
    So how does that work?  Relegation this season, rebuild the next and then promotion the season after that?
  • edited June 28
    There's no space for realism on Charlton transfer window thread...

Quite impressed so far by the calibre of our signings, of course I want more, it's the Oliver in me!

Strikes me that some people have a rather simplistic idea of what a billionaire is.  You don't become one and stay one by spunking the odd 1 million here and there on a punt in the English lower leagues.  If this supposed backer spends 5% of his time thinking about Charlton Athletic I would be amazed.  It's all about mega yachts, hoes and blow ain't it? Oh and masterminding taking over the world.
  • Yann897 said:

About 5 pages of pointless bed wetting later
    CharltonLife is a known diuretic. People don’t come here and expect to keep it in. Bed wetting IS the point.
  • Our backers have money but are actively looking to change the rules to prevent owners from simply injecting cash, which is understandable as it's not sustainable.

If this ruling gets passed, this will of course put us in a stronger place than most other L1 clubs due to our size, fanbase etc.  

We need to stop saying, they have the money why don't they start spending!

On a positive note, we're not going to find ourselves in a position where we're being preyed upon by vultures like Southall & Co
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Honestly think there's a lot of undue panic. We are starting to resemble a well run football club and every single player Jones brings in will run through brick walls for us... This has not been the case in previous seasons. If May goes, he goes and he will be replaced. Sit back, relax and see how we look come august 10th... COYR 
    I have liked your post, but since January we have sold(loaned and then lost) CBT, Dobson and looks like May.    We have released Hector, Thomas etc etc and signed a promising left back from Scotland, a back up goalkeeper who stats wise doesn't really look any better than the two we already have, a centre half whose fans of the teams he has played for rate (remember Lloyd Jones was Cambridge's player of the season the season before we bought him) and a 32 year old central midfielder who started a handful of games last year in the Premier League.

We resemble one because we've hired people in positions we were very short on, BUT we finished at our lowest ebb last year, DESPITE the work of Nathan Jones.      Replacing Dobson and May's workrate and influence on this side is not as easy as some people are making it sound.   DESPITE them we finished low down.   WITHOUT them, we'd have been in League 2.   That's how important Dobson, May AND (Nathan) Jones were to this side in the second half of the season.  Nathan is staying the other two will be gone.

We are a long, long. long, long way away from a promotion challenging side.   In terms of experience and proven ability of doing it in this division week in, week out.

I’ve liked both posts as they each make good points. I agree we’re a long way off but it’s clear the club agree too - Jones surprised me in giving a specific number of signings he’s after. Five more, with pressure more on top if some players go can help the team make that jump if we get them all or the majority right.
  • I was hoping we might sign a keeper this week, but it might be next week, or the week after that, or the week after that, or even by the end of August.
  • I was hoping we might sign a keeper this week, but it might be next week, or the week after that, or the week after that, or even by the end of August.
    I think they're all keepers... Havent got anyone in on loan yet
  • Must be worth getting a couple of premier league punts in on loan. Maybe some wingers to allow TC to actually play in his normal position?
  • sam3110 said:
    Imagine grown men crying on the internet because their club hasn't signed quite as many players as they have supposedly been promised, all before the 1st of July, which marks the official start of the new season and where we then have another 2 whole months of the transfer window.

Embarrassing 

I haven't seen any grown men crying. 
    Just people concerned about the squad. 
    Because leaving our transfer deals until late in the window is exactly what we have been doing the past few years. 
    And that has resulted in mid table mediocrity season after season. 
    But that’s not the case right now is it, we’ve signed four already and two months to go . Plus Iv never known our squad to have so many options at this stage of pre season.
  • Yann897 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Imagine grown men crying on the internet because their club hasn't signed quite as many players as they have supposedly been promised, all before the 1st of July, which marks the official start of the new season and where we then have another 2 whole months of the transfer window.

Embarrassing 

Because leaving our transfer deals until late in the window is exactly what we have been doing the past few years. 
    But that’s not the case right now is it, we’ve signed four already and two months to go . Plus Iv never known our squad to have so many options at this stage of pre season.
    Well Nathan Jones is on record saying he wants about 9 new players. 
    He also said he wants most of them in for pre season training. 
    Last season when we went on our pre season tour we had to take a load of youth team players to make up the numbers. 
    I believe we go on tour quite soon so it's imperative that we bring in the players Jones wants before we go.
  • Yann897 said:
    sam3110 said:

Embarrassing 

Well Nathan Jones is on record saying he wants about 9 new players. 
    He also said he wants most of them in for pre season training. 
    Last season when we went on our pre season tour we had to take a load of youth team players to make up the numbers. 
    I believe we go on tour quite soon so it's imperative that we bring in the players Jones wants before we go.
    Apparently two are close so that will be the majority signed by next week, and we won’t have a need to bring any youngsters on tour as we have basically two players for every position which is rare for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cawley mentioned that a couple of free agents might be training with us. Anyone know who?
  • edited June 28
    Richard J said:
    Cawley mentioned that a couple of free agents might be training with us. Anyone know who?
    Bishop. Just a guess though.
  • Richard J said:
    Cawley mentioned that a couple of free agents might be training with us. Anyone know who?

Might be a left field name but I wonder if NJ would have a look at Dynel Simeu , centre half released by Southampton. Maybe another Theirry Small type signing with someone who had a lot of hype as a youngster but hasn't quite kicked on in senior football. 
    The keeper we want contract does not run out till July 1st and there championship interest in him 
    Adam Davies

Charlton have been looking to complete the free transfer signing of keeper Adam Davies, whose Sheffield United deal expires on July 1. Jones said: “We have got targets, but they are waiting for Championship interest. That’s why (there has been a delay).

Today’s South London Press
    The keeper we want contract does not run out till July 1st and there championship interest in him 
    Thanks Colin, almost as ITK as Richard Cawley who posted this in the SLP this morning!!!
  • Maybe Alfie wants to go ? has anyone considered that and we are just holding out for the best price ? - Huddersfield will probaly pay more in wages and would be his last decent contract. 

No one is irreplaceable - this year the midfield will score more goals and more clean sheets so not the reliance on one striker - Kanu will be a better player next season , Chuks hopefully fitter and Myles to return as well - plus whoever comes through the door. 

We need to share the goals out more and not be reliant on one player as in last year. - If Berry can get 10 and another midfileder like Anderson or Coventry get 8 then thatll help the team - plus a few goals from set pieces and corners from the Centre backs itll help . - Yes Alfie would be a miss but its not season over already as some people see it. 
    Alfie is under contract so to some extent what he “wants” is secondary.  Also not sure why we can’t have other people chipping in with all these goals plus Alfie’s, rather than instead of.  Meanwhile if I could lift as much weight as the IF above, and the sentence that follows it, I’d be off to Paris this summer.
  • Yann897 said:

About 5 pages of pointless bed wetting later

Doesn't mean there isn't any interest though..
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!