Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    I think he’s out of reach for a League One side but noticed a couple of Luton fans today saying that Nathan Jones might be interested in Allan Campbell.

25 y/o. 75 appearances across two seasons in the Championship for Luton but didn’t have much involvement in Millwall’s team this past season, only nine starts and didn’t make an appearance after Christmas.
    Hope not. We need to be looking at players who've played 30+ games this season at a minimum and players who have performed consistently well for 2-3 seasons.
    Seems harsh given he was a regular for Luton for two Championship seasons before that.

Knew nothing about him 10 minutes ago but doesn't sound too bad a match for a league 1 side.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Swisdom said:
    If you read the Fleetwood fans’ comments you’ll see he is key to them.  I expect he only signed a contract to guarantee them a decent fee this summer.  

He’s definitely worth a look as we want to improve our mobility and physical presence.

BUT I don’t think he was particularly happy woth the club when he left so Nathan might need to massage his ego a bit.
    Didn't his agent suggest our management team were racist for not picking him?
    That was Jay Mingi
    Apologies I knew it was a youth product.
  • Options
    I think he’s out of reach for a League One side but noticed a couple of Luton fans today saying that Nathan Jones might be interested in Allan Campbell.

25 y/o. 75 appearances across two seasons in the Championship for Luton but didn’t have much involvement in Millwall’s team this past season, only nine starts and didn’t make an appearance after Christmas.
    Hope not. We need to be looking at players who've played 30+ games this season at a minimum and players who have performed consistently well for 2-3 seasons.
    Seems harsh given he was a regular for Luton for two Championship seasons before that.

Knew nothing about him 10 minutes ago but doesn't sound too bad a match for a league 1 side.
    Maybe i've been a touch harsh but not many players do well 2 seasons ago, have a bad year and then come back from it and reproduce there best form. For example whoever signs Ladapo this summer is going to be signing him off his last season at Ipswich rather than this season with us. Would a team with promotion aspirations come in for Terry Taylor?

I guess it comes down to budgets and intentions, if you intend to push for promotion then you want resilient players who have just come off the back of a good season. They usually cost fair money and that's the difference.
  • Options
    Wonder why he didn't feature for Millwall this season. He made 30 starts for Luton in the season they finished 3rd in the Championship, odd that he wasn't wanted in a Millwall team that spent most of the season fighting relegation
  • Options
    edited May 6
    Wonder why he didn't feature for Millwall this season. He made 30 starts for Luton in the season they finished 3rd in the Championship, odd that he wasn't wanted in a Millwall team that spent most of the season fighting relegation
    Not sure either. The majority of his appearances seem to have come under Rowett. 

But I suppose Edwards and then Harris didn’t rate him for whatever reason.

Maybe our resident Millwall fans might know more.
  • Options

Interesting table. Three of the top four spenders last season have now been promoted. Could be all four if Bolton win play offs. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If Nathan Jones is all about physicality then why continue with Tyreece Campbell?
    I don’t think Nathan especially means ‘big aggressive unit’ when he mentions athleticism.
    Pretty sure Jones is all about the athleticism. I. E running power. Dobbo was ll of that as is May, which is why the smoke about him being let go confuses me. I have no doubts thta Jones will study the Opta stats on who runs AND who doesn't. Any obvious shirkers, will be gone in the summer, so we'll find out who he thinks has done enough last season, for us, or their current club. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Ipswich’s premier league bound promotion winning team had a mix of former league 2, league 1, championship and freebie former Prem players in it. I knew very few of the names when my lad showed me the list. It serves to prove that it is the cocktail you produce with the right mix of ingredients rather than the quality of ingredients themselves which can make for a promotion winning side. In NJ I trust, am not going to worry about it as long as he is leading on the recruitment now…

Hladky - Salford

Burgess - Accrington Stanley

Chaplin - Barnsley

Burns - Fleetwood

Davis - Leeds

Hirst - Leicester

Morsy - Middlesbrough

Luongo - Free

Tuanzebe - Free

Ipswich spent a huge amount of money
    Their LB Brandon Williams is reportedly on 65k a week

Hadn’t heard of him but looking him up he’s on loan from Man Utd. If he’s really on that wage they’re probably not paying all of it.
    Source? Because mine tells me Ipswich have spent fortunes.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Scoham said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Ipswich’s premier league bound promotion winning team had a mix of former league 2, league 1, championship and freebie former Prem players in it. I knew very few of the names when my lad showed me the list. It serves to prove that it is the cocktail you produce with the right mix of ingredients rather than the quality of ingredients themselves which can make for a promotion winning side. In NJ I trust, am not going to worry about it as long as he is leading on the recruitment now…

Hladky - Salford

Chaplin - Barnsley

Burns - Fleetwood

Davis - Leeds

Hirst - Leicester

Morsy - Middlesbrough

Luongo - Free

Tuanzebe - Free

Hadn’t heard of him but looking him up he’s on loan from Man Utd. If he’s really on that wage they’re probably not paying all of it.
    Isn't Brandon Williams brother an agent?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Scoham said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:

Hladky - Salford

Chaplin - Barnsley

Burns - Fleetwood

Davis - Leeds

Hirst - Leicester

Morsy - Middlesbrough

Luongo - Free

Tuanzebe - Free

It’s well known they’ve spent fortunes. I’m just questioning if they’re really spending £65k a week on players the season after going up from L1 - even if they were paying half of it, that would still be considered spending a fortune given where they were a year ago.
  • Options
    I don't think people are aware, just how much...
  • Options
    edited May 7
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    Definitely isn't the rags to riches fairy tale the media are making out. 
    That was my point :) It is gonna take a lot of money to get prem football
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    They massively overspent in league 1, but this season their budget will be nowhere near the likes of Leicester, Southampton and Leeds that they have been competing with 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    They massively overspent in league 1, but this season their budget will be nowhere near the likes of Leicester, Southampton and Leeds that they have been competing with 
    All recently relegated though and full of parachute payments and legacy salaries. Their income reduced but they've been able to maintain what they've got by selling off players for decent fees and replacing them with cheaper players. The amount of new short-term investment Ipswich have made between finishing 9th in L1 in 2021 and getting promoted to the Premier League in 2024 is enormous
  • Options
    edited May 7
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    All recently relegated though and full of parachute payments and legacy salaries. Their income reduced but they've been able to maintain what they've got by selling off players for decent fees and replacing them with cheaper players. The amount of new short-term investment Ipswich have made between finishing 9th in L1 in 2021 and getting promoted to the Premier League in 2024 is enormous
    The question is. Does the significant amount of short term investment getting to the Premier League get paid back with knobs on now they are on the gravy train. If they can hang on in there I’d say it easily does. 
  • Options
    Will they be flipped?
  • Options
    Will they be flipped?
    I would imagine so, they are owned by an American pension fund. Only way that investment works is by selling them soon. Could be a serious amount of profit it in even if they have spent 15-20m to get there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will they be flipped?
    I would imagine so, they are owned by an American pension fund. Only way that investment works is by selling them soon. Could be a serious amount of profit it in even if they have spent 15-20m to get there.
    Looks like they sold a 40% stake last month for up to 105m. 
  • Options
    The worry is that other potential owners will see that huge profit and look to gamble by doing the same. It very rarely comes off and when it doesn't it sets the club up for financial ruin.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    The question is. Does the significant amount of short term investment getting to the Premier League get paid back with knobs on now they are on the gravy train. If they can hang on in there I’d say it easily does. 
    For sure, it pays off the minute they get promotion, but it's a big gamble. Spending enough in L1 to get yourself into a position where you don't have to make too many signings at Championship level and still go straight up is incredibly risky if you can't get out of L1. They finished 11th in 21/22 having chucked an awful lot of money about and sacked their manager in December. If they had got his replacement wrong or spent the money on players who weren't good enough (the Charlton approach) then they would have been very, very screwed financially. As it was Kieran McKenna was the perfect man for the job and has breezed them through but imagine if we'd made 25 loan and permanent signings (including weirdly Scott Fraser, Matt Penney, Macauley Bonne and Tyreeq Bakinson) of our usual level this season and still replaced Holden with Appleton. We'd need more than Nathan Jones to dig us out of that hole, we'd need a time machine and a hand grenade.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Dizzle said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Swisdom said:
    If you read the Fleetwood fans’ comments you’ll see he is key to them.  I expect he only signed a contract to guarantee them a decent fee this summer.  

He’s definitely worth a look as we want to improve our mobility and physical presence.

BUT I don’t think he was particularly happy woth the club when he left so Nathan might need to massage his ego a bit.
    Didn't his agent suggest our management team were racist for not picking him?
    It was a fall out with Grant Basey. Also caused friction with Basey and Euell which is why Basey left. 
    Hard to judge as I don’t know him personally, but I never seem to hear good things about Basey
    I've heard really positive and some negative tbf. Cray Wanderers spoke highly of him, as did Gallen, however ask someone like Euelly and you'd hear totally different
    Have not seen it anywhere on CL and I know this isnt the place for it but Basey is now a London Firefighter(fact,not a rumour)
    I was aware of that tbf, I was actually told to reach out to him regarding a coaching gig, thing never materialised so we didn't end up speaking, I don't know the ins and outs, just what I've heard from several 3rd parties. 
  • Options

Allan Campbell would be fantastic at this level imo
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    For sure, it pays off the minute they get promotion, but it's a big gamble. Spending enough in L1 to get yourself into a position where you don't have to make too many signings at Championship level and still go straight up is incredibly risky if you can't get out of L1. They finished 11th in 21/22 having chucked an awful lot of money about and sacked their manager in December. If they had got his replacement wrong or spent the money on players who weren't good enough (the Charlton approach) then they would have been very, very screwed financially. As it was Kieran McKenna was the perfect man for the job and has breezed them through but imagine if we'd made 25 loan and permanent signings (including weirdly Scott Fraser, Matt Penney, Macauley Bonne and Tyreeq Bakinson) of our usual level this season and still replaced Holden with Appleton. We'd need more than Nathan Jones to dig us out of that hole, we'd need a time machine and a hand grenade.
    Paul Cook massively underachieved with the squad purchased in 21/22, as shown by the immediate turnaround once McKenna took over. In January they improved the squad, so that they blew us away at the end of the season, then again in the summer. 

Plymouth's promotion was far more impressive than Ipswich's, on a fraction of the budget, but the quality Ipswich purchased really came good in the Championship, with many of the L1 players playing a starring role this season.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:

On current ability he definitely feels like an upgrade on Karoy, just lacking match sharpness. Then again he'd have the whole pre season to get up to scratch
  • Options
    follett said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

On current ability he definitely feels like an upgrade on Karoy, just lacking match sharpness. Then again he'd have the whole pre season to get up to scratch
    I think he’d be more of a Dobson replacement than a Karoy replacement. If we got someone like Luke Berry, who has been mentioned, that would be the Karoy replacement that would add goals from midfield 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    follett said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

I think he’d be more of a Dobson replacement than a Karoy replacement. If we got someone like Luke Berry, who has been mentioned, that would be the Karoy replacement that would add goals from midfield 
    22 goals in 155 apps at Luton we need better goalscorers from midfield then that