Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD : Cambridge Utd Vs Charlton Athletic : Saturday 13th April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Time for AMB to get a chance until the end of the season, see if he can do any better now he’s had a spell out of the side and playing behind generally improved team. Isted has been just as error prone and at least AMB had the excuse that we had Appleton destroying his and everyone else’s confidence. 
    Nah I'd rather play Prince in goal than AMB if we're dropping Isted
    Is he any good? - Doesnt seem to get much game time over Ward for the U21s
  • edited April 13
    What's this bloody ref doing with Chuks...🤷‍♂️
  • Croydon said:
    Time for AMB to get a chance until the end of the season, see if he can do any better now he’s had a spell out of the side and playing behind generally improved team. Isted has been just as error prone and at least AMB had the excuse that we had Appleton destroying his and everyone else’s confidence. 
    Neither are good enough. We don't need to see any more of AMB. 2 new GKs needed in the summer 
    Isted deserves to be dropped. AMB is our other keeper. I’m not advocating that either should be here next year, although one probably will be, why should Isted be allowed to keep fucking up?
  • Time for AMB to get a chance until the end of the season, see if he can do any better now he’s had a spell out of the side and playing behind generally improved team. Isted has been just as error prone and at least AMB had the excuse that we had Appleton destroying his and everyone else’s confidence. 
    Spot on.
  • Port Vale 2-1
  • edited April 13
    sam3110 said:
    And hes been dead for several years and never passed the height teat. 
    But he wrote a good tune.
  • Cambridge doing better this half than the last one.

Struggling to get control of the game again here, giving away some silly set pieces
  • Keep one of Isted/AMB as back up but need a quality first choice keeper. 
  • Chance headed off the line from a Chuks header 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Neither are good enough. We don't need to see any more of AMB. 2 new GKs needed in the summer 
    But we won’t get two better keepers. Hopefully we’ll get one but if the second is an improvement on AMB then he’ll be starting. Amazes me how some people still don’t understand this. If a keeper is good enough then he won’t want to be a number 2, unless the bag is big enough and he’s not bothered about playing.
  • Croydon said:
    Surely not shit defending and goalkeeping again...

Get rid of them all in the summer 
    100% . Other than Small and Ramsay get new keepers and starting defence.

They've cost us so much this season and not good enough.
  • Would we do better with FFP if we sell Maynard-Brewer? - Thinking back to the other Transfer Windows with Chelsea, and how they'd potentially get around their spending, by selling Gallagher (as he's a Youth Product) over another player
  • sam3110 said:
    Would never happen.

Charlton Life would explode if we started wearing purple instead of red.
  • Time for AMB to get a chance until the end of the season, see if he can do any better now he’s had a spell out of the side and playing behind generally improved team. Isted has been just as error prone and at least AMB had the excuse that we had Appleton destroying his and everyone else’s confidence. 
    Spot on.
    Respect the logic here but I don’t think either of them are good enough.. wether or not he’s given an opportunity… at most it would give a bench selection issue for Jones next season.. we need a new number 1 and I’d assume Isted will be number 2 with AMB out on loan next year.
  • Hector is very good at this level. 
  • SDAddick said:
    AMB was given a LOT of chances both last season and this season. And he showed that he also had a mistake in him, oftentimes a worse one than Isted. I don't think we're learning anything new about AMB at this point. I think he'll be gone, maybe one loan, in the summer. 

Isted seems to be seen as the better keeper of the two at this point, and I think that's right. But I don't think either are good enough to match our stated ambitions. 
    AMB was good last season. Then he had to play behind one of the worst, actually probably the worst, defence I’ve ever seen represent Charlton. Then we had the Appleton effect. AMB’s errors weren’t so much about failing to stop shots he should save, it was decision making which we know confidence plays a huge part in. Appleton was an huge negative for the whole teams confidence. NJ has rebuilt some of that and we’ve seen players like Hector, Thomas, Watson (T), Kanu, Campbell (even May) benefit from that and improve. Who is to say AMB won’t look better again if he’s given some game time. 

And, as I say, Isted needs to suffer some consequence for persistently not being good enough. 
  • Campbell christ alive
  • Sponsored links:

• Port Vale 2-2
  • Would we do better with FFP if we sell Maynard-Brewer? - Thinking back to the other Transfer Windows with Chelsea, and how they'd potentially get around their spending, by selling Gallagher (as he's a Youth Product) over another player
    I don't know how these things are calculated but AMB is obviously home grown but Isted was a free, so I don't know if the FPP calculations are drastically different. 
  • Cousins clattered by Karoy. We seem to be clinging on a bit. 
  • We won’t be getting any money for either keeper
  • SDAddick said:
    AMB was given a LOT of chances both last season and this season. And he showed that he also had a mistake in him, oftentimes a worse one than Isted. I don't think we're learning anything new about AMB at this point. I think he'll be gone, maybe one loan, in the summer. 

Isted seems to be seen as the better keeper of the two at this point, and I think that's right. But I don't think either are good enough to match our stated ambitions. 
    I think I watched most of AMB’s games this season and the only ‘mistake’ I can recall is against Port Vale away where maybe he should have come for the header. Isteds distribution is better but AMB is a much better goalkeeper overall. I am mystified by the negative views of him 
    Isted in comparison flaps at things and virtually never saves anything that is aimed at him. I really think this is one decision that Nathan has got completely wrong 
  • This ref is doin' my bloody 'ead in...ffs where do they find 'em
  • Redhenry said:
    We won’t be getting any money for either keeper
    And both still have a year on their contracts.
  • Well,this is all rather shit,gone down to Cambridges standard of football,been sucked into lots of stupid fouls,not being helped by their theatrics
  • edited April 13
    SDAddick said:

AMB was good last season. Then he had to play behind one of the worst, actually probably the worst, defence I’ve ever seen represent Charlton. Then we had the Appleton effect. AMB’s errors weren’t so much about failing to stop shots he should save, it was decision making which we know confidence plays a huge part in. Appleton was an huge negative for the whole teams confidence. NJ has rebuilt some of that and we’ve seen players like Hector, Thomas, Watson (T), Kanu, Campbell (even May) benefit from that and improve. Who is to say AMB won’t look better again if he’s given some game time. 

And, as I say, Isted needs to suffer some consequence for persistently not being good enough. 
    I don't know that confidence is the biggest factor in decision making, and AMB has shown during every run in the side that decision making is his downfall. I agree he's the better pure shot stopper of the two, but every other part of his game: coming off his line, kicking, and decision making are weaker.

Obviously yes NJ has made this team better, but the issues AMB had under Apples were the same he had under Holden. Maybe he'd be better under Jones, but I also think he would have been dropped a lot sooner if Isted was fit. I think this is a case of the grass is greener. 
  • edited April 13
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!