Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Saturday 24th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• Blackwall tunnel closed to southbound traffic this Sat, so those driving from the north will need to find an alternative route.
  • Charlton win, it’s got to be.
  • I swam against the crowd last week saying Charlton to win v Bolton due to their form and injuries.  For those reasons I was a little disappointed with the draw despite it being a seemingly better performance.
    Pompey are at the top for a reason and I think had a strong January window which is proven by their form recently with plenty of goals.
    Their attacking threat v our defensive frailties is a worrying match and Watson/Small v Lane/Kamara looks a miss-match to me.  Kamara is an excellent player in hot form and Small is very young and more attack minded from what I can tell.
    I hope for the best but fear this could be a heavy defeat by 3 or 4. If so then I hope it doesn't knock fragile confidences.
    Bottom 4 by 5pm is a worrying thought.  
  • I swam against the crowd last week saying Charlton to win v Bolton due to their form and injuries.  For those reasons I was a little disappointed with the draw despite it being a seemingly better performance.
    Pompey are at the top for a reason and I think had a strong January window which is proven by their form recently with plenty of goals.
    Their attacking threat v our defensive frailties is a worrying match and Watson/Small v Lane/Kamara looks a miss-match to me.  Kamara is an excellent player in hot form and Small is very young and more attack minded from what I can tell.
    I hope for the best but fear this could be a heavy defeat by 3 or 4. If so then I hope it doesn't knock fragile confidences.
    Bottom 4 by 5pm is a worrying thought.  
    Tomorrow could hear the first chorus of "we want Methven out".
  • 4-2 charlton
  • Really hoping for a long overdue win to make for a happy weekend again. Portsmouth are strong, consistent and pull out wins from draws. We will give  a good performance but not quite enough, 2-0 to Portsmouth.
  • Ladapo had 0 shots v Bolton
    And his best game so far was coming off the bench v Lincoln 

Would like to see May start and us play to his strengths and bring Ladapo on the last 20/25 minutes 
  • It’s not a must win! Of course it isn’t. We can lose tomorrow and still stay up. 
    Anyway, that’s all academic because we will win 3-1. 
  • Ladapo had 0 shots v Bolton
    And his best game so far was coming off the bench v Lincoln 

Would like to see May start and us play to his strengths and bring Ladapo on the last 20/25 minutes 

There is definitely a logic to May and Kanu running their defense ragged for the first 60mins before Aneke and Ladapo beat them up for the final 30.
  • Sponsored links:

• A must win game tomorrow. After that we have 3 away games on the spin.....and our away form is atrocious so don't expect a win from any of those games. To stay up we will need to rely on our home games, starting with tomorrow. No free hits or "didnt we do well to snatch a draw after being 2-1 & 3-2 ahead"

But sadly Pompey will be too strong for us. 1-3 & the bell-end will go home happy. 
  • edited February 24
    These statements of  must win against a team 39 points ahead of Cafc in February are laughable. 
    Don't care what our record is against Pompey, they are strong favourites and a draw would be a good result.
    Of course Jones Must get the boys to believe they can win.
    After Derby we MUST WIN many of our games in March til the end of season or else...
  • We have a decent record against Portsmouth, 3-1, home win
  • Don't know what is was about the last game but we looked a little less Charlton which is never a worry these days.

2:1 Reds
  • Have woken up feeling more optimistic. 
    I think we’ll need to be pretty aggressive and play the high press, because if they pick up any injuries or yellow cards the pressure will be on them, particularly with Bolton and Derby breathing down their necks. 
    And as gmantaxi said earlier, this is Portsmouth, not Man City. Would love to pick up three points today. 
  • This feels nearly as big as the back to the Valley game in 1992 so I’ll settle for 1-0 again. Scorer Owen Goal.
  • I don't think we have to win this. Yes, it would be great if we do but there are enough games and enough more winnable matches to come. What we have to do is continue to display the positive signs we have seen recently.
  • edited February 24
    As I said before the Bolton game, and hopefully won’t need to say before Derby on Tuesday:

We’ve got on paper the worst possible run of games coming up, but this is L1, every game is winnable. The team need to believe that. Under MA it felt like he didn’t set those expectations, the players had ready made excuses.

No L1 squad should go 2/3 months without a victory. At some point we’re going to see a clean sheet win, why not tomorrow  today?
  • Reckon Pompey'll get a goal, but a 3-1 for the Super Reds for me.
  • Scoham said:
    As I said before the Bolton game, and hopefully won’t need to say before Derby on Tuesday:

We’ve got on paper the worst possible run of games coming up, but this is L1, every game is winnable. The team need to believe that. Under MA it felt like he didn’t set those expectations, the players had ready made excuses.

No L1 squad should go 2/3 months without a victory. At some point we’re going to see a clean sheet win, why not tomorrow  today?
    I think if we don’t win to day the winless run will be at least three months. Absolutely scandalous in League One.
  • Sponsored links:

• Optimistic about this one

2-1 addicks 
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

I think if we don’t win to day the winless run will be at least three months. Absolutely scandalous in League One.
    It goes to show how s*** we really are.

There'll not be any smiling from the three clowns in the directors box today, or the foreseeable.
  • Today's result has a Desmond written all over it.
  • Just realised with the scum down at Southampton today, Waterloo should be a bit tasty. 

A draw at best as we finally reach our nadir in Old Division 4. I am hopeful the Welsh boyo can bring back championship football in the next decade.
  • se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

Yeah, yeah ..... that's the monkey on our back.

We can keep looking backwards, dwelling on the failures and disappointments, picking at the scabs.
    What's that going to achieve, apart from reinforcing failure and despair?

If Jones the manager is worth his salt, he and the team will be focused on just this one game .......there's 3 points at stake and that's all that matters today.

• Probably foolish but feeling more confident about this than Bolton. At home, a week on the training pitch and our record against Pompey should help. We also got a decent result off them at their place. Clearly they're very good for this league but the league is weak this year, can see us sneaking a 1 goal win.

• Pre-match beer before settling down for the game.
  • Our match at The Valley 70 years ago was 3 - 1 victory. Taken by my Dad as a 9 year old it was my first as a lifetime supporter. Unfortunately age has caught up with me and I can't get to today’s game but appreciate the fact that I can follow on Charlton Live. COYR's
    Let’s hope for the same result today!!
  • edited February 24
    Pompey haven’t lost in 7, kept 3 clean sheets and scored 12 goals in the last 4 games winning all of them! 
    Would like to see continued progress, lots of fight, a step forward in quality produced going forward and hopefully we get a point or more at the end of it. 
    Realistically everything points at a Pompey win.