Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Saturday 24th February 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Comments

• ross1 said:
    It appears we only have two players Injured and out of this game but Pompey have nine, I do not know how many would have been in their first 11
    Hopefully some important ones, like Bolton had 
  • edited February 23
    What's the problem, another win and the Hex continues..."Can we play you every week"...🙄🤷‍♂️
  • ross1 said:
    It appears we only have two players Injured and out of this game but Pompey have nine, I do not know how many would have been in their first 11
    Hopefully some important ones, like Bolton had 
    From our OS

The visitors expect to have Brentford loanee Myles Peart-Harris (thigh) available this weekend, though Zak Swanson (groin), Regan Poole (knee), Tom McIntyre (ankle), Joe Morrell (knee), Alex Robertson (hamstring), Tom Lowery (hamstring), Ben Stevenson (knee), Terry Devlin (shoulder) and Tino Anjorin (hamstring) are all sidelined.
  • ross1 said:
    11 ?
  • Head says 0-2, heart says 1-1 and another point we would not have got before the recent change to management and style. 
    Kind of sums up our season that the best your heart dares to dream about is a draw at home.

I'm going for 2-2.
  • swordfish said:
    A must win? Not for me. Might drop into bottom four if we don't, but the cut is more than two months away with twelve to play after. I'll continue to fear the worst until we win enough games to be safe, but I'm optimistic for tomorrow and can see us running out 2-1 winners after a scrappy affair.
    In the bottom four tonight if Cheltenham win.
  • I think we'll get a point. 1-1. 
  • edited February 23
  • We'll marmalise em!

Think we will hit double figures, and that's not the home crowd...
  • Sponsored links:

• Expecting the same extra effort as shown last week.  Sadly expect Portsmouth to be too strong.  Hoping for a Desmond.
  • 3-0 Addicks!
  • Optimistic for a win on Saturday. If we get the first goal and hassle them throughout we could upset the form book. Genuine signs of continued improvement over the last two and a half games makes me feel confident we can get three pionts at last. 

• swordfish said:
    A must win? Not for me. Might drop into bottom four if we don't, but the cut is more than two months away with twelve to play after. I'll continue to fear the worst until we win enough games to be safe, but I'm optimistic for tomorrow and can see us running out 2-1 winners after a scrappy affair.
    Nah...will end in a draw at worse, so chill Elfs...🍺
  • Can someone chuck that bloody bell in the Thames please, I would but I'm getting my PSA checked, oh btw -2-1 Addicks.
  • Can someone chuck that bloody bell in the Thames please, I would but I'm getting my PSA checked, oh btw -2-1 Addicks.
    The bell comes with an end unfotunately and he's a lump!
    Might need two of you...
  • We are definitely Pompey bogey team, the losing run will end, could be tomorrow. Head says 0-2 heart says 1-0, 
    But Cpl Jones has had another week on the training ground so I won’t be panicking if we go a goal behind. 
    If we can really get behind the boys and silence those inane Pompey chimes, we may just have a pleasant surprise. 
    COYRS!!!
    Not at the valley we are not lost 4 of the last 7 
  • If we don't get a point tomorrow I think we can safely kiss the playoffs goodbye.
    That’s just put more pressure on the players and fans now…
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 23
    Reading was must win…… then Lincoln was must win…… then Bolton we gave it a great go but really needed to hold on for the win.

This one now is must must win. Can’t draw / lose forever and expect to stay up. And the season tells us we can’t expect to rely on so called ‘easier games’. Especially when March is away heavy and we have won one away all season.

So we better bloody win then!

Have a feeling Camara wouldn’t have been far from starting at Bolton had he not had the knock in training. Jones saying he and Bakinson are much better now.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Camara pushing for a start.
    I think we can lose this and still stay up, despite the away run of matches (based on our performance at Bolton).
    I'm trying to convince myself that this is a 'free hit' match, because it's less stressful that way. But I have a horrible feeling it'll be a gallant effort, that again might not produce the win that we're desperately seeking.
    The Portsmouth fan on the Charlton Live pod says that their team is strong but their bench isn't because of all the injuries, so we need to let them know we're there!
    A win would definitely take the pressure off the Derby game, as 4 points from the three toughest fixtures we could have had would be pretty decent.
    If we lose the next two, then the pressure ramps up on us to go on a winning run.
    One positive for me is the return to form of Jones. It'd be interesting to here from him how he turned it round, after such a poor spell. He look much more confidant now.
    I wonder if he might start with Kanu and May, and play a high pressing game from the off to stop Pompey settling.

• edited February 23
    Last 10 home league games for Charlton v Portsmouth

W: 4
    Draws: 3
    L: 3
    GF: 14
    GA: 13

• edited February 23
    Feel like Bolton's defensive and GK injuries allowed us to score 3 whilst their attacking quality allowed them to score 3 past our leaky defence. I think Portsmouth have both the quality in defence and attack and are just better than us so can't see anything other than a pretty comfortable loss. 

That being said we were fired up at their place and nicked a draw despite them looking a lot better than us so it's not out the realm of possibility if we're as fired up as we were last week.

Certainly worrying times though as Port Vale and Cheltenham have winnable games coming up so we could well be in the relegation zone having played extra games
  • Good test for us to see how much we have progressed 
    Even though they have so many out they would have beaten us easy but I fancy we will get a least a draw if not a good win
    COYR  B)
  • 2-2 We have proved we can score but we have proved we still can't defend. One change for me, if Bakinson is fit, I think he will start instead of Coventry. 
  • I feel once again Nathen Jones will change the front pairing May and Kanu to play this time . Another change in midfield Bakinson back in along with Gillisphey in at the back.

Nathan Jones loves making changes thinking with more bookings coming for Dobson and May will not help Charltons situation in the next few games.

Unable to look beyond a home defeat 1-3
  • swordfish said:
    I'd like to but 35 degrees atm.
  • swordfish said:
    I'd like to but 35 degrees atm.
    🥵...Put the glass in the freezer first!...🤷‍♂️
  • 3-1 Charlton and the relegation escape and momentum begins