Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidcup: Hundreds of motorists fined over A20 road sign error

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I've been caught twice now.  26mph on a dual carriageway which had changed to 20mph a week before.  I drive up it to every Charlton home game so admittedly just wasn't looking for new speed signs like I imagine most don't on roads they commonly drive.
    Second time on the A20 doing 49mph on a road which I thought I was driving at a very sensible speed on and which had previously been 70mph. It was a dry day with no flooding around.
    Not a sob story but seems harsh I have paid out £210 and have 3 points for that.  I can certainly see merit in increasing the number of points for a ban.
    Definitely more people will be getting bans now than previously which means losing jobs/more difficult to work and that isn't good for anyone.  
    Add in a fine for driving down a road which had recently been changed to pedestrian only between 14.30-16.00 because it has a school on it but this was on a small sign not any form of bollard restriction etc.  There are sooo many signs now you have to spend half your time looking out for them instead of looking at the road.  Speed limits on roads change every 100m or so on some stretches it has all just got ridiculous.  
    I suspect other countries like America there is simply more consistency and it is easier to follow but maybe I am wrong about that.
    Yeah I can understand this sort of thing can happen occasionally. Its people getting done regularly on roads without changes I don't get. 

Out of interest do you use a maps/driving app like google maps/waze? these are great at alerting you of speed cameras (often even mobile ones), I use them all the time even on journeys I know (unless its really short). Its useful for unexpected traffic etc. and finding a better route and the speed camera warnings is a bonus.

Regularly use Waze but not when I know where I am going (maybe I should).  It also hadn't been updated re the school road and was what took me down there.
  • Options
    edited April 9
    Rob7Lee said:
    Whilst you can be ‘unlucky’ with mobile cameras and the like, it’s mostly down to driving behaviours.
    i was taught by the then head of met driving, this was 1989 and he took me into motorways and taught me what to look for, vehicles on bridges, side of road/motorway, and more than anything always viewing what’s at your furthest point away.

35 years on and touch wood I’ve never had a speeding ticket despite driving some very fast cars in that time.

On the speed awareness course I did there was a chap who is on the police motor offence team. 🤣🤣
  • Options
    I've been caught twice now.  26mph on a dual carriageway which had changed to 20mph a week before.  I drive up it to every Charlton home game so admittedly just wasn't looking for new speed signs like I imagine most don't on roads they commonly drive.
    Second time on the A20 doing 49mph on a road which I thought I was driving at a very sensible speed on and which had previously been 70mph. It was a dry day with no flooding around.
    Not a sob story but seems harsh I have paid out £210 and have 3 points for that.  I can certainly see merit in increasing the number of points for a ban.
    Definitely more people will be getting bans now than previously which means losing jobs/more difficult to work and that isn't good for anyone.  
    Add in a fine for driving down a road which had recently been changed to pedestrian only between 14.30-16.00 because it has a school on it but this was on a small sign not any form of bollard restriction etc.  There are sooo many signs now you have to spend half your time looking out for them instead of looking at the road.  Speed limits on roads change every 100m or so on some stretches it has all just got ridiculous.  
    I suspect other countries like America there is simply more consistency and it is easier to follow but maybe I am wrong about that.
    Yeah I can understand this sort of thing can happen occasionally. Its people getting done regularly on roads without changes I don't get. 

Out of interest do you use a maps/driving app like google maps/waze? these are great at alerting you of speed cameras (often even mobile ones), I use them all the time even on journeys I know (unless its really short). Its useful for unexpected traffic etc. and finding a better route and the speed camera warnings is a bonus.
    I use a Garmin satnav. It gets updated with speed cameras and limits. Bleeps when you go over the limit. Decent traffic updates and alternative routes.
  • Options
    I think it's time TFL details exactly the dates the signs were changed. I use that stretch a lot & my earliest recollection of it not being even 50 mph was on Boxing Day. 
  • Options
    It’s time TFL said when they are going to fix the flooding problem which has necessitated the speed limit reduction in the first place !

I think we a££ know the answer to that one. 
  • Options
    I think it's time TFL details exactly the dates the signs were changed. I use that stretch a lot & my earliest recollection of it not being even 50 mph was on Boxing Day. 
    I certainly don't remember it being last Autumn. Thought it was around Christmas time. 
  • Options
    Did my Speed Awareness Course this morning. So for me it’s case closed. But, feel for the guys queuing up to go to court with their 4,5,6 tickets.
  • Options
    Did my Speed Awareness Course this morning. So for me it’s case closed. But, feel for the guys queuing up to go to court with their 4,5,6 tickets.
    Always wondered if you have to let your insurance company know if you just do the awareness course? 
  • Options
    edited April 16
    He still got a ban, but only 28 days.

I still think the 50mph sign is a red herring. Out of all the signs it was just one, and that was as you approach the BP garage just before the (40mph) speed restrictions ends. So even if you went up from 40-50mph at that sign it's unlikely you would get a ticket as it's average speed and it's literally 100 yards to the end from the sign.

It's more a case of people being unaware of the reduction to 40mph way back from the garage. I remember reading about it when it came in (can't remember if just after or before) and not sure where you'd get to as by not looking at the speed limit signs just because you drive the road a lot isn't really a great excuse a court are likely to go with.

It changed beginning of October from memory.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/23837144.tfl-changes-a20-sidcup-speed-limit-with-no-warning/#:~:text=They%20explained%20said%3A%20%E2%80%9CA%20new,t%20suitable%20for%20the%20road.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-2679-2324

https://freedomfordrivers.blog/2023/10/01/the-war-on-the-motorist-and-new-a20-speed-limit/

Also not sure how true but:

"Metropolitan Police said one incorrect 50mph sign was displayed, at most, between 17 and 25 January."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always wondered if you have to let your insurance company know if you just do the awareness course? 
    I believe you have to let your insurance company know if you get any penalty points o your licence. 
    The reason for doing a speed awareness course is so that you don't incur any points and therefore you don't have to tell your insurance company. 
  • Options

I did the course a couple of weeks ago and the instructor specifically said that you don't need to tell the insurer unless they ask you. 
  • Options
    No…. Once you done the course your all clear, and it’s not recorded at DVLC. However, is on Police National computer so you can’t do another course within 3 years. You’d have to take the points.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    I believe you have to let your insurance company know if you get any penalty points o your licence. 
    The reason for doing a speed awareness course is so that you don't incur any points and therefore you don't have to tell your insurance company. 
    Most insurers now ask if you have attended a speed awareness course at point of sale/quote.

EDIT: but don't believe they can find out/know.

• Options
    The advice you should rely on regard whether you need to report attendance on a speed awareness course to your insurer can be found on the UK Road Offender education site.

See https://www.ukroed.org.uk/faqs/how-will-attendence-on-an-ndors-course-affect-my-insurance/

In a nutshell, the response that is carried on the website states that legal advice is that attendance on an NDORS course is not a conviction, nor should it be treated as a conviction, unlike a fixed penalty. So, unless the question regarding NDORS course attendance and completion is specifically asked at the time of taking out the policy, or at any other time during the lifetime of the policy, there is no obligation whatsoever on a driver who has completed an NDORS course to disclose this to their insurers.

But beware! As always, the detail is in the small print so check this and the advice on the website. Don't rely on my advice!

I'm not sure how widespread insurers asking if you have attended a speed awareness course is - personally I didn't think it was that widespread.

Finally, just to confirm as others have said, NDORS Data is not shared with insurance companies and they have no access to it.