Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidcup: Hundreds of motorists fined over A20 road sign error

One small error. A 50mph sign where it should have been a 40. Not sure exactly where this is. (Turn off London bound at QM hospital maybe?) Lots of headaches for others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-68186175

Comments

• Options
    edited February 6
    Hmm. Interesting, I got a fine for doing 49mph on the A20.  Will have to look at location more closely on the ticket.

Ed. Was exactly there about 10days ago.

Thanks for posting @swords_alive.  The ticket came through in my wife's name so I have not paid it yet. I will be appealing.

Had never had a speeding fine until 6months ago, this is my second. The first was for doing 26mph on Whitefoot Lane dual carriageway.
  • Options
    They changed it from 70 to 40 after Crittals corner with no prior warning. Thankfully I noticed the tiny sign at the last minute the first time I driove down there but plenty of people went past me at the old speed. 

Just another way to hammer motorists financially. 
  • Options
    40 along there is absolutely mental, all the way past the BP garage. Ludicrous
  • Options
    Try 20mph down an empty 4 lane park lane. Such fun.
  • Options
    Think the 40limit along the A20, was because of flooding. But the A20 from Sutcliffe Park to Junction with M25 is like race track.  
    I live up the road from Fiveways, and you can hear the motorbikes wind it up as the pull away from the lights. it must be sheer hell at times for those that live alongside the A20.

I find if the limit is 70, people drive at 77, if its 50 they drive at 55, if its 30 they do 40.

• Options
    i got done here on NYE 1.17am in the morning doing 51 in a 40. couldnt believe it when the letter came through. 16 years driving and first speeding fine. 
  • Options
    Hated that stretch of road which I used fairly regularly up until the end of 2019 (mother in law lived in Lewisham) the very last time I used it I got stuck in traffic for over an hour, don't miss driving in London at all.
  • Options
    I drive along that stretch quite a lot.  It did seem funny that one side (eastbound) was 40mph limit and coming toward London was still 50 (it had previously been 50 until the BP garage, then 70...). It does also seem really weird sticking to a 40 limit on that stretch which does seem very slow for the amount of traffic etc. Thankfully not been done for speeding there, and if they now change the sign, we should all be OK going forwards...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got done driving back from my folks’ to home on that stretch doing 52 in what they said was a 40. I then re-drove it back from the Valley (live in Sussex) on another date and saw the 50mph sign but thought I must have been caught in another spot. Will now review again and contest if I was doing 52 in a 50, margins too slim. Thanks for sharing, would not have seen it otherwise. 
  • Options
    edited February 6
    One small error. A 50mph sign where it should have been a 40. Not sure exactly where this is. (Turn off London bound at QM hospital maybe?) Lots of headaches for others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-68186175
    The 50mph sign was just before the exit to the BP Garage/McDonalds. 

Supposedly it was due to the flooding there which effected the southbound carriageway.

I would have thought the fact the Sign said 50 mph any appeal would succeed (assuming it was before the sign was changed and you weren't going over 50). 
  • Options
    I believe the 40mph limit was at least partially a result of this:

https://youtu.be/-9F_siRXT6I

I still think 40 is ridiculous though. Just drive to the bloody conditions!!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

One way of getting your petrol, i guess.
  • Options
    You can see as he hit the standing water, there's an issue there where when it rains it gets about 6 inches deep, hard to tell whether he was going more than 70 (which it was at that point of the road).
  • Options
    Money making scheme, as are PCNs, ULEZ etc. 
  • Options
    Maybe they can use the money from the speeding fines to actually sort out the drainage on the road. 
  • Options
    I find the whole thing ridiculous and rather dangerous to say the least.
    I try to keep to the speed limit but many others don't. The amount of times i have tried to stay at 20 in a so called well built up area where I am forever keeping an eye on the person behind me cos they are wanting to go faster rather than keeping an eye out for any problems in front of me.
    A 40 on a duel carriageway is also absurd. I remember when they brought in different limits on the A13 across the river. It was just done so they could make money. No doubt the same with this. 
    There are so many roads that are just inexplicably 20mph now. And driving at night i stay as close as I can to 20mph cos knowing my luck i will get done for doing 25.....the amount of times cars are bombing past and doing 30-40mph.

And even more ridiculous are LTNs, there was one introduced in Streatham recently, they put very little signage up to catch people out.... Driving in London will soon be impossible/Banned/Outlawed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/incorrect-speed-sign-probe-as-thousands-slapped-with-fines-301298/

This article gives more information. It's a temporary reduction because of the flooding, work due to start in May. 

I noticed the reduction when I was up visiting at Christmas and slowed down. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Pardon my french but fcuk me!

I know the speed limit was reduced to 40mph before Christmas, maybe end of November/start of December as we'd seen it in the Newshopper and we've been using the A20/M20 a lot. There's a big enough warning sign at the entrance to the A20 at Crittalls Corner that says new speed limit in place.  I'd read in the local PWDRA bulletin it was because of a couple of aquaplaning incidents but blimey, thats the first time I've even seen that footage, christ almighty, how on earth was anyone not killed in that?  Good job that other car was there to stop the Merc going through the pump!

• Options
    Rizzo said:

The problem is a lot of people don't and see the speed limit as a target.
  • Options
    50 MPH sign now gone, watch out and keep your speed down. It is now 40 from Fiveways all the way to just beyond McDonalds
  • Options
    They changed the limit on the 1st Jan (allegedly). Only on the Kent bound carriage way. So London remains at 50 MPH. All those who the road regularly will know it’s 50MPH. Then suddenly with no warning it’s made 40MPH. At the same time the new 40MPH signs are apparently below the legal size, an at least 1 50MPH sign was left up. Some regular users have received 3/4/5 tickets in the first week, an face driving bans.  I was ticketed on the 25th Jan at 46 MPH.

The only reason the reduction is in place is because of flooding in heavy rain. Why don’t they just fix that problem.

• Options
    So, now that the explanation and video are on here can we all agree that, in this particular instance, it seems there is a good reason for lowering the speed limit and it's not just a money making scheme?

I mean, that footage is horrific.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

I like the guy in the blue t-shirt who just casually strolls over to his car without a care in the world. His car has been semi-destroyed and he walks over as though a leaf landed on it.