Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidcup: Hundreds of motorists fined over A20 road sign error

Comments

• Options
    edited February 12
    I wonder if any of the players have picked up 3 points leaving from Sparrows lane and down the a20?
  • Options
    Should be an easy matter in these days of digitisation should it not? Haven't seen today's reports to understand any of the excuses being offered but simple rule could probably be implemented such as: All tickets issued passing the camera after the offending 50mph road sign, travelling at up to 50mph to automatically be re-paid and promptly. Anyone going over 50mph but under 55mph possibly also to be repaid, and those over 55mph probably exclude from refund, depending on whatever policy positon is taken for that category.
    I believe what they are hanging their hat on is it is an average speed and the rogue 50mph sign was right at the end near the last camera, so even if you drove at 40mph up to the 50mph sign by the time you hit the camera your average should be no more than 41/42mph.

In all honesty the vast majority have been caught out, not because of the 50mph sign that was there incorrectly but they just missed that it had been changed from 70 to 40. Apparently all signage for the 40mph is in regulation but the cynic in me feels they purposely didn't advertise that much.

If anyone was caught doing an average of 41/42 I think you'd have more chance of fighting that one out in court.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    I had to spend £89 to do the speed awareness course last week for getting done here. booked it for the end of the month
  • Options
    The authorities are also still denying that the 50 mile signage was left / put there by them. They are seemingly saying it was a rogue sign. 
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    I had to spend £89 to do the speed awareness course last week for getting done here. booked it for the end of the month
    Were you done on average speed? Do they show you on your ticket the pics / calculation of the journey time between the two cameras?
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    The authorities are also still denying that the 50 mile signage was left / put there by them. They are seemingly saying it was a rogue sign. 
    Have to say, I drive down this 2/3 times a week and was very conscious of the change and was looking at all the new signs and trying to take it all in, and I don’t recall seeing the confusing 50mph one! 
  • Options
    Be good to see a visual of this.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Be good to see a visual of this.
    It's in the video in the original post.
  • Options
    I wonder if any of the players have picked up 3 points leaving from Sparrows lane and down the a20?
    I doubt it, we haven't had a win since November!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc4life said:
    Were you done on average speed? Do they show you on your ticket the pics / calculation of the journey time between the two cameras?
    My PCN said it was for doing 51 in a 40 and just a photo of my car . Worst thing is, I was on the inside lane, it was 1.17am with not another car to be seen and I didn’t even see the 40 signs. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    I believe the 40mph limit was at least partially a result of this:

https://youtu.be/-9F_siRXT6I

I still think 40 is ridiculous though. Just drive to the bloody conditions!!
    When you hit water like that on your offside, the steering wheel pulls hard to the right  and you need to pull against the pressure only to keep the wheels straight.  What is instinctive is to pull the wheel hard to the left as if correcting a skid which is what this guy did. 
  • Options
    edited February 14
    It's amazing how many people saw one 50 sign but none of the 40 signs. It was clear when I was there in December and I slowed down. Lots of people driving along at high speed without paying any attention to the road is quite scary. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    I believe the 40mph limit was at least partially a result of this:

https://youtu.be/-9F_siRXT6I

I still think 40 is ridiculous though. Just drive to the bloody conditions!!
    You can't park that there, Sir"
  • Options
    I'll always do 60 on a 70 or stick to the speed limit in a 40 or 30, when there's water on the road. Having aquaplaned twice before, once on the M25 (just after J5 clockwise (for M26 / A21)) and another time going into Bordeaux, you tend to proceed with caution
  • Options
    "A TfL spokesperson said "safety is the number one priority" and construction work to tackle the flooding on the A20 Sidcup Road was set to begin in May"

Anybody on here think that TFL will revert back to the old speed limit once the work is complete?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    cafc4life said:
    cafc4life said:
    My PCN said it was for doing 51 in a 40 and just a photo of my car . Worst thing is, I was on the inside lane, it was 1.17am with not another car to be seen and I didn’t even see the 40 signs. 
    You were in the inside lane and didn't see the signs?

I wouldn't tell them that mate or else they might try and do you for driving without due care and attention as well!
    Haha nope didn’t see the sign. 
  • Options
    weird given the A20 generally is an absolute racetrack
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 6
    Just gotta mention (question by the local MP Louie French) at PMQ's.
  • Options
    Just gotta mention (question by the local MP Louie French) at PMQ's.
    Can’t see anything happening about it for those fined.
    the rogue 50mph sign was right at the end, so wouldn’t have made any difference if people had followed the previous 40mph signs.
  • Options
    Was watching PMQ's earlier when this came up. Didnt know who the bloke was until the caption came up. He's no Edward Heath is he ?

Rishi (of course) agreed with him & then went Labour bashing regarding the 20 mph & ULEZ zones. Shame Rishi doesn't actually drive his own car or need to worry about speed limits. 
  • Options
    Was watching PMQ's earlier when this came up. Didnt know who the bloke was until the caption came up. He's no Edward Heath is he ?

Rishi (of course) agreed with him & then went Labour bashing regarding the 20 mph & ULEZ zones. Shame Rishi doesn't actually drive his own car or need to worry about speed limits. 
    French made the mistake of knocking on my door when canvassing following the very sad passing of our thoroughly decent and intelligent former MP, James Brokenshire. Now French probably thought that he was on "safe ground" because it was actually recommended that he should call on me by one of my wife's friends who was clearly under the misapprehension that I was a "blue" supporter. The friend in question happens to be the wife of a another Tory MP and she, herself, works for just about the most right wing Minister in residence. So, without being rude, I sent him away with a flea in his ear when he sought to defend Boris Johnson. Since that time he has blocked me on social media and refused to answer emails I have sent him raising certain issues. 

Good luck to all those seeking to get their fines and points reversed. It won't be because of the work that French has put in. Although he will be the first in the queue to take the glory should that happen. 
  • Options
    unfortunately for me got clocked 3 times in essex the other week so looking at 9 points and already have 3 on licence was caught doing 

in a 30 
  • Options
    unfortunately for me got clocked 3 times in essex the other week so looking at 9 points and already have 3 on licence was caught doing 

in a 30 
    Just out of interest, static speed camera or mobile van?

• Options

in a 30 
    Can’t you do a course for one of them so don’t get 3 points for that one?

How long is a ban when you hit 12 points?
  • Options
    Boom said:

in a 30 

You could get off the ban if you can show that being without your vehicle could mean "undue hardship" to your family. So, if you family rely on you as the breadwinner & not having the use of your vehicle meant that you couldn't work then it is possible that you wouldn't get banned but just a fine. 
  • Options
    Boom said:

in a 30 

Unlikely to be able to do a course as already had 3 points, the tickets would advise if you can though.

Ban is usually a minimum of 6 months but can be up to 2 years. You have to show exceptional hardship to escape the ban, and that's very very rare. Even loss of employment is not in itself considered exceptional hardship.

Whilst it may seem harsh, and not trying to have a dig @palarsehater, but three tickets, the lowest of which was 20% over the limit, the worst being over 50%, 41mph to 50mph in a 30 would come under a Band B fine and sadly that usually means 4 penalty points and likely 100% of weekly wage and can also come in itself with a 28 day ban. So the last two are likely 2 weeks wages and 8 points.

There are three other things taken into account, driving conditions (i.e. were they severe to mean you should have been driving lower than the limit), density of the area (prey god you weren't near a school), and the timing v previous convictions.

Depending on those courts can increase the fines to up to 700% of weekly wage (think it maxes out at £2,500). 

I wish you luck, but keep that right foot off the gas pedal!