Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP House of Commoners group

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Can I just throw the word boomer into the thread and see what happens.
    Nice bit of bread that 😎
  • Options

• Options
    seth plum said:

That for the new boss man?
    Crawler 😜😜😘😘🤣🤣
  • Options
    Barm Brack.
    Thought you'd appreciate that.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Overall I think the interactions got better than they had in the past. I presumed it'd been locked for Xmas as mods would be online less... completely missed what triggered the final act.

Personally I think exchanging views is healthy, in a world where our thoughts are pushed a certain way with algorithms.
    Farage's loss of banking facilities and the subsequent controversy as to the reason why was the main debating topic of the day IIRC, confined to the annals now. (Had to be careful to get my spelling right there 🙄)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    shine166 said:
    Overall I think the interactions got better than they had in the past. I presumed it'd been locked for Xmas as mods would be online less... completely missed what triggered the final act.

Personally I think exchanging views is healthy, in a world where our thoughts are pushed a certain way with algorithms.
    Farage's loss of banking facilities and the subsequent controversy as to the reason why was the main debating topic of the day IIRC, confined to the annals now. (Had to be careful to get my spelling right there 🙄)

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    swordfish said:
    Those who moaned the loudest were those who wouldn't accept evidence that contradicted their world view, no matter how much it it stacked up. 

If people who presented opinion as fact, people who pretended those with an opposing view had said something they clearly hadn't and people who made stuff up to "back up" their opinion had been stopped from doing so, it would have been better. 

Sadly they are not used to their opinion being contradicted because of the media they consume (although they often lied about that too).

It was nice to have a platform to contradict the bullshit that many people believe without question. For me, it was never about persuading the entrenched to change their minds, it was about showing the neutral where and why the entrenched were wrong. 
    Were there really many neutrals looking into the HoC thread on CL with an open mind in the first place though? I didn't sense that. Those with intransigent views, at both ends of the spectrum btw, were far more dominant and frequent contributors to it.
    If it opened one person's eyes to how they were being hoodwinked, it was worth it, Swordfish.   
    It was certainly the case for me, as I was staunchly Tory for most of my life. My eyes have been opened now and my views are completely different. 

But you can do that in life, you dont need a one sided forum to tell you that.
    I enjoyed the HoC, if you don't enjoy it  then why go into it? It seems that it's those who can't justify their views that want it closed down. 

I was frequently ridiculed on the Covid threads,  but added links to reputable sources to justify my posts. 

I can't see why those of us  who do enjoy political discussions should be penalised by those whose main aim is to shut down political debate. 
    People did justify their views though. The almighty didn't like them as it put to bed their biased and ill gained views and then the gang culture took over, Its quite arrogant to suggest ones views are the gold mantra which has already been suggested today.

Look at the crap i got for supporting Farage but all those wont tune into his show as he dispels their opinion in an instant.

You and I started pretty much from the same position i.e. we both voted to leave the EU. It's something I have come to very much regret and I realise how much the truth can be distorted. Everything I have since read/heard from numerous sources, has lead me to the conclusion that leaving the EU has been a disaster for the UK and that we were sold a pack of lies.

As Nigel Farage was the biggest advocate for leaving the EU and therefore was one of those who sold us those lies, I don't feel inclined to tune into his show.
    The problem is not leaving the EU but the way "the Remainer Elite" have conspired to mess it up since rather than seize the potential freedom offered by it.

However we'd better leave it there and agree to differ.
    Out of interest it would be interesting to know how you think they messed it up? We've had a majority Tory Government in power for the last 4 years, that was elected on the back of an 'oven ready deal'. How have the 'liberal elite' messed it up and what did you actually want out of leaving the EU that you haven't got?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Barm Brack.
    Thought you'd appreciate that.
    Bara brith if you're trying to charm Mr Jones 😉 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I don't think there would be grey areas. I can say your views are wrong IMO but I can't call you a fascist or an anti semite or even an idiot or similar word. I can't tell you to stop posting or imply you are a winker like some did to Seth. Just ignore him or disagree him if you don't like what he is saying. Sorry to highlight Seth, I am using him to make a general point.

I have complained twice about being directly called Anti Semitic, the person in question declared they didn’t have to supply any evidence for the accusation, and then repeated the accusation a couple of months later.
    My complaint didn’t trouble the moderators, I suspect because my attacker is a well known and long established poster on Charlton life.
    The person in question, if they are reading this, knows full well who they are, and anyway the accusation is totally ridiculous.
    However that public accusation still rankles big time.
    When something like that is allowed to ride (and fester) it is the kind of thing that leads to the Urban Myths, and the wrong assumption that it must be me that got the HoC closed down.
    Yup did it to me too.  I just ignore the scrote.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!