Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP House of Commoners group

Comments

• Options
    What stopping someone starting a forum.charltonlifepolitics.com as a totally separate entity with its own rules and if required moderation, I don’t know if this is possible, but also with say the only way of accessing the new forum is via the main forum, therefore they would have to be registered with charltonlife, and would be known participants. I’m sure the more technically knowledgeable could work it out. Probably a load of rubbish and just a thought, but not thought through.
    Yeah, it's a nice idea - but the licence fee and royalties the new site would have to pay to AFKA and Lookout for the use of the name would be astronomical. 
  • Options
    Those that think the forum is better off without the HOC have no need to look at it, that would leave it free for those of us who do. 

There are many topics on the forum that I have no interest in, so I don't bother looking at them. I would never suggest that those threads be closed. 
    But why do you want to comment on politics on what is essentially a Charlton specific/football general forum?

There are other forums you can use for your political chat.
    I feel much safer posting on this forum than one than one where everyone is a stranger. It's testament to this forum that although I've never met most people on here, it feels more like a family. 

It was great to have a politics section, away from the main forum. There were a lot of informative posts. Nobody was compelled to look at that part of the forum, so I don't understand why others want to get it closed down. 
    If you want a political forum where you would feel safe then I recommend www.politicalbetting.com

I used to be a regular poster on there many years ago and it was always informative and posters rarely crossed the line
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Those who moaned the loudest were those who wouldn't accept evidence that contradicted their world view, no matter how much it it stacked up. 

If people who presented opinion as fact, people who pretended those with an opposing view had said something they clearly hadn't and people who made stuff up to "back up" their opinion had been stopped from doing so, it would have been better. 

Sadly they are not used to their opinion being contradicted because of the media they consume (although they often lied about that too).

It was nice to have a platform to contradict the bullshit that many people believe without question. For me, it was never about persuading the entrenched to change their minds, it was about showing the neutral where and why the entrenched were wrong. 
    Oh dear.

There were a little cadre of people who used to post on there who were convinced that they were so morally superior and that their view of the world was absolutely right that they would not countenance any alternative view because they couldn't possibly be wrong.

And those people weren't usually on the right.

Those that posted without facts to back things up were usually on the right, though not exclusively.

Of course that can also depend on your definition of "right".  

They mostly moaned that their opinions were being silenced (whilst expressing their opinion) because people were posting facts to prove them wrong. I was never for telling people not to post their opinions, but I was always ready to point out a lie, exaggeration or when a point they had raised had already been proved wrong, but they insisted in repeating it anyway.  

And some people used phrases like "Oh dear", "morally superior" and "couldn't possibly be wrong" and somehow thought that was conducive to civilised debate and wasn't provocative.  ;)    
  • Options
    If I want to be offended I can achieve that perfectly well on the main site thank you.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I can't think of a place online where people talk about politics like civilised ladies and gentlemen. Social media and the depersonalisation of the internet has polarised us. It's not a CL problem, a moderation problem or an issue with any of the individuals on here, it's bigger than that. This is just the way it is now. People aren't going to wake up tomorrow and start shaking hands and having a nice chat over the internet about immigration. Call me a pessimist but it's futile to expect it to change on here or anywhere else.
    I agree, there has been quite a lot of research that shows there is a link between social media in adults (the growth of this starting with Facebook in the late noughties) and the polarisation of political views - and this has been reflected around the world in elections.

This isn't just about debates and groups there is also the more sinister side of it around politically driven advertising and manipulation of the algorithms. People end up seeing and reading what they want to see (or very occasionally something that is the polar opposite to get them riled up) so they end up getting into their own echo chambers without realising and so are unaware just how far their views have shifted based on what they are fed. Its dangerous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    The test for me is, would it be okay if the loud bloke behind you at the football yelled it at the players. If yes, then it's fine for HOC.
    So calling someone a nonce is fine (as long as they are a referee)!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I can't think of a place online where people talk about politics like civilised ladies and gentlemen. Social media and the depersonalisation of the internet has polarised us. It's not a CL problem, a moderation problem or an issue with any of the individuals on here, it's bigger than that. This is just the way it is now. People aren't going to wake up tomorrow and start shaking hands and having a nice chat over the internet about immigration. Call me a pessimist but it's futile to expect it to change on here or anywhere else.
    I agree, there has been quite a lot of research that shows there is a link between social media in adults (the growth of this starting with Facebook in the late noughties) and the polarisation of political views - and this has been reflected around the world in elections.

This isn't just about debates and groups there is also the more sinister side of it around politically driven advertising and manipulation of the algorithms. People end up seeing and reading what they want to see (or very occasionally something that is the polar opposite to get them riled up) so they end up getting into their own echo chambers without realising and so are unaware just how far their views have shifted based on what they are fed. Its dangerous.
    I am lucky that being an old rock n roller I have plenty of mates who are right wing and keep me in the loop with the latest old bollocks they are being fed when they post it on their social media. It's why I am pretty good at responding to people on here when they do the same, I've already seen it, researched it and (for the most part) found out the truth and put 'em straight. 

I also do the same when lefties claim Trump eats babies or Sunak likes dressing up as Looby Loo...  :D       
  • Options
    edited February 6
    swordfish said:
    Those who moaned the loudest were those who wouldn't accept evidence that contradicted their world view, no matter how much it it stacked up. 

If people who presented opinion as fact, people who pretended those with an opposing view had said something they clearly hadn't and people who made stuff up to "back up" their opinion had been stopped from doing so, it would have been better. 

Sadly they are not used to their opinion being contradicted because of the media they consume (although they often lied about that too).

It was nice to have a platform to contradict the bullshit that many people believe without question. For me, it was never about persuading the entrenched to change their minds, it was about showing the neutral where and why the entrenched were wrong. 
    Were there really many neutrals looking into the HoC thread on CL with an open mind in the first place though? I didn't sense that. Those with intransigent views, at both ends of the spectrum btw, were far more dominant and frequent contributors to it.
    If it opened one person's eyes to how they were being hoodwinked, it was worth it, Swordfish.   
    It was certainly the case for me, as I was staunchly Tory for most of my life. My eyes have been opened now and my views are completely different. 

But you can do that in life, you dont need a one sided forum to tell you that.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Were there really many neutrals looking into the HoC thread on CL with an open mind in the first place though? I didn't sense that. Those with intransigent views, at both ends of the spectrum btw, were far more dominant and frequent contributors to it.
    If it opened one person's eyes to how they were being hoodwinked, it was worth it, Swordfish.   
    It was certainly the case for me, as I was staunchly Tory for most of my life. My eyes have been opened now and my views are completely different. 

But you can do that in life, you dont need a one sided forum to tell you that.
    One sided or weight of opinion?
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Overall I think the interactions got better than they had in the past. I presumed it'd been locked for Xmas as mods would be online less... completely missed what triggered the final act. 

Personally I think exchanging views is healthy, in a world where our thoughts are pushed a certain way with algorithms.
  • Options
    I don't think there would be grey areas. I can say your views are wrong IMO but I can't call you a fascist or an anti semite or even an idiot or similar word. I can't tell you to stop posting or imply you are a winker like some did to Seth. Just ignore him or disagree him if you don't like what he is saying. Sorry to highlight Seth, I am using him to make a general point.

I have complained twice about being directly called Anti Semitic, the person in question declared they didn’t have to supply any evidence for the accusation, and then repeated the accusation a couple of months later.
    My complaint didn’t trouble the moderators, I suspect because my attacker is a well known and long established poster on Charlton life.
    The person in question, if they are reading this, knows full well who they are, and anyway the accusation is totally ridiculous.
    However that public accusation still rankles big time.
    When something like that is allowed to ride (and fester) it is the kind of thing that leads to the Urban Myths, and the wrong assumption that it must be me that got the HoC closed down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oh dear.

There were a little cadre of people who used to post on there who were convinced that they were so morally superior and that their view of the world was absolutely right that they would not countenance any alternative view because they couldn't possibly be wrong.

Those that posted without facts to back things up were usually on the right, though not exclusively.

They mostly moaned that their opinions were being silenced (whilst expressing their opinion) because people were posting facts to prove them wrong. I was never for telling people not to post their opinions, but I was always ready to point out a lie, exaggeration or when a point they had raised had already been proved wrong, but they insisted in repeating it anyway.  

And some people used phrases like "Oh dear", "morally superior" and "couldn't possibly be wrong" and somehow thought that was conducive to civilised debate and wasn't provocative.  ;)    
    Any sources the "so called right" quoted that weren't the BBC or Guardian were derided and ignored by "the left" which is no surprise as quashing dissent from left wing doctrines is part of the raison d'etre of the left.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    Reminds me of the old ubiquitous football chant…

’Ere we go, ‘ere we go, ‘ere we go,
    ‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go, ‘ere we go-o
    ‘Ere we go, ‘ere we go, ‘ere we go,
    ’Er we go!

When was that last sung?
  • Options
    edited February 6
    LenGlover said:

Oh dear.

Any sources the "so called right" quoted that weren't the BBC or Guardian were derided and ignored by "the left" which is no surprise as quashing dissent from left wing doctrines is part of the raison d'etre of the left.
    Assuming the word I have highlighted was a typo, and you meant right, Len. I admit that is true from me at least. But it comes from experience when we are talking Sun, Mail, Express, and various proudly right wing websites who have been proved liars or hypocrites again and again. Despite the recent track records I would and do give some credibility to the Telegraph or the Times or even the Spectator.        
  • Options
    swordfish said:

So anyone whose views don't align with yours were being hoodwinked? Nothing to do with their experiences or perspective on life then? Interesting to say the least.

Anyway, I will leave you to your life's work of educating the masses whilst I head off to the Guardian's website to make sure I'm not hoodwinked in future. :-)
    See - there you go - claiming I have said things I haven't. Namely anyone whose views didn't align with mine was being hoodwinked, and that my life's work is educating the masses. I have claimed neither. It's nice to have at least a part of my earlier post proved correct so swiftly I guess? 

Read the smiley face.

And I look forward to all your future posts putting us all right.
  • Options
    swordfish said:

So anyone whose views don't align with yours were being hoodwinked? Nothing to do with their experiences or perspective on life then? Interesting to say the least.

Anyway, I will leave you to your life's work of educating the masses whilst I head off to the Guardian's website to make sure I'm not hoodwinked in future. :-)
    See - there you go - claiming I have said things I haven't. Namely anyone whose views didn't align with mine was being hoodwinked, and that my life's work is educating the masses. I have claimed neither. It's nice to have at least a part of my earlier post proved correct so swiftly I guess? 

Read the smiley face.

Oh - it was all a laugh? Cor - silly ole me...  :)
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Read the smiley face.

Oh - it was all a laugh? Cor - silly ole me...  :)
    Correct.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!