Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough United | Saturday 13th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough United
Saturday 13th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Purkiss

Introduction
Our performances on the road this season really do seem to be turning into a parody at the moment - Three times we led in Staffordshire last Saturday, only to (somehow) come away with a single point, thus ensuring our away form stayed at just the single win this season... Be far too generous to allow us the satisfaction of having two wins away from the Valley - Thank god we're back in SE7 this coming Saturday

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United (3rd) | Manager: Darren Ferguson
Ground: London Road
Previous League Result: Derby 2-3 Peterborough

Once again Darren Ferguson appears to be working his (temporary) magic in Cambridgeshire - The Son of the Legendary Manager is well versed at this level with Peterborough, and knows how to get this side promoted from League One, Posh visit the Valley this Saturday in a very comfortable third place, and as someone who hasnt really paid attention to the League Table in recent weeks, it looks as though they've quietly snuck into contention for the automatic promotion slots.

Peterborough after all are undefeated since a 2-1 loss at Wigan on the 7th November, and have picked up six wins out of a possible nine since - It will be surprising if our opponents don't make the Play-Offs, given they've spent all but six weeks in the top six - But now, along with the likes of Derby are hunting down Bolton in second place.

Naturally though, all eyes will be on the upcoming team sheets this Saturday at 2pm - Its no secret that Charlton are chasing their joint top scorer: Jonsson Clarke-Harris, who has six goals in the League this campaign, he missed their FA Cup clash with Leeds due to a "calf-injury" - However, even if our transfer target doesn't appear, we'll still need to worry about Kwame Poku, also with six goals to his name this campaign.

Charlton Team News
So at the time of writing this Preview, we're all sitting around, eagerly awaiting the news of Conor Coventry who should be signing today on a Permanent Transfer - If you're reading this after he's signed, what a great piece of business that was - If you're reading this after he gets injured in training this afternoon... Bugger!!

Coventry along with Bakinson and Fiorini will hopefully add much needed strength and depth to our Midfield, which in recent games has dealt with opponents like butter dealing with a hot knife - Whilst Fiorini may well be absent for a while longer, we could see Conor and Tyreeq involved tomorrow, given the fact that both had been involved in match day squads in recent weeks, for their previous clubs, so do have match fitness.

Maynard-Brewer
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Edun
Bakinson - Dobson
L.Watson
Kanu - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Isted - Thomas - Asiimwe - Coventry - Fraser - T.Campbell - Casey

Comments

• Despite the new signings I’m not expecting anything from this game. They’ve just beaten in form Derby away from home. 
     1-2
  • The midfield should be better (it will be interesting to see who is left out...) but our defence is still like swiss cheese, so it'll be another home defeat IMO.  1-3.
  • These are usually the games we win against in form oppo then lose against bottom of the league next game! 

That being said, id take a draw here but think its a loss. Hopefully there are some positive signs of the new signings making a difference.
  • Another game already? Don't these bar stewards think we've suffered enough?

We've got new signings - woohoo! - but are they fit enough to bring into the matchday squad? Will they able to make a difference to the balance in the side or are they just new baby-sitters for the youngsters?

I think we'll get a result and our fortunes will change.

The result will be a 0-2 defeat but we won't concede after 80 mins (that's the fortune-changing bit).

Grim.
  • 5-1 to the Posh. They score three in injury time 
  • Good News- we score 3! (Cheers)
    Bad News - we concede 4 (Boo)
  • If the Peterborough guy on Charlton Live is anything to go by then they are the best team in the world at present. I am going for a 2-2 but of course unless Alfie returns I am not sure where our goals will come from. UTA.
  • Whilst we have a fantastic record against Portsmouth especially at Fratton Park, the opposite can be said of our record against our opponents tomorrow 

Charlton have failed to beat Peterborough in the last 12 league games home and away 
  • I thought May and CBT were out for this one?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 12
    Croydon said:
    I thought May and CBT were out for this one?
    To be honest I hadnt heard anything about CBT - May I was presuming would be closer to being available given he was 50/50 last Saturday

Edit: Sounds like May is very close to being involved, going by Appleton's Press Conference
  • Reading between the lines of the press conference, Fiorini on bench tomorrow as well?
  • Reading between the lines of the press conference, Fiorini on bench tomorrow as well?
    Yeah wondering if Fraser or Louie Watson will be absent for that to happen. - Either that or May wont be available from my line-up, meaning Tyreece Campbell will start, with Kanu central, and Fiorini on the bench
  • Isted on bench according to MA, all new signings should be available for Saturday
  • edited January 12
    Good preview, 

I'll go 3-1 Peterborough. Most potent team in the league, bogey side, familiar manager, quality all over the pitch.

Well and truly think we will get schooled and I've got my eyes on Burton away already.

Unfortunately this might be the first league game I miss this season which will end the streak. Struggling to get it off work & won't know till later today.

Safe travels everyone 👍🏻
  • "Sam Purkiss will be the man in the middle on Saturday. The referee has overseen 20 matches so far this season and has shown 96 yellow cards and eight red cards."

Could be some cards out there tomorrow looking at that. 8 red cards in 20 matches is something else!
  • Rose tinted glasses ready to be donned…Victory to the Addicks!
  • Solidgone said:
    Rose tinted glasses ready to be donned…Victory to the Addicks Addicks to Victory!
    Bringing back those memories! 
  • edited January 12
    Important info....
    "Transport for London have confirmed the planned closure of the Southbound Blackwall Tunnel for five weekends due to maintenance work, so allow extra time for your journey if coming that way and find an alternative  route"...👍

• Sponsored links:

• Two late goals to snatch a charlton win. EFL announce an enquiry will be held to determine how it occurred. Betting industry statement fully supportive of the result standing as nobody had actually backed it. Peterborough sack their manager. 
  • I predict Posh win comfortably and I get completely rinsed by all my Posh fan colleagues on Monday. Their wingers will have Watson and Edun on toast
  • A must win.
  • fenaddick said:
    I predict Posh win comfortably and I get completely rinsed by all my Posh fan colleagues on Monday. Their wingers will have Watson and Edun on toast
    In the same boat mate 😂
  • Wow, we have some real die hard pessimists on here don't we...🙄

• Wow, we have some real die hard pessimists on here don't we...🙄

It’s easier than being the guy that thinks Terry Taylor is the second coming of Zidane and that we are going to win 6-0 every week .  
  • wmcf123 said:
    Wow, we have some real die hard pessimists on here don't we...🙄

It’s easier than being the guy that thinks Terry Taylor is the second coming of Zidane and that we are going to win 6-0 every week .  
    Certainly is it seems...🤔
  • Surely we must be due a win against the pishe, thumping home win 2-1.
  • We all know we don’t stand a chance of anything out of this game but this is Charlton we can’t beat Burton etc but ……. Well you all know 😂 3-2 victory