Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke Harris Thread

Comments

• Options
    Rolls Royce in attack..Morris minor at the back!
  • Options
    He is a goal getter at this level, no two ways about that. Nothing wrong with signing players for the level we are clearly going to be playing at next season either. What I'm less comfortable with is the inflexibility shown by the last handful of managers in having a preferred formation and refusing to budge on it. 

He is well capable of holding the ball and pinning centre halves and flourishes in attacking sides. 

Its all set up assuming Blackett-Taylor leaves, for a diamond midfield or 352 with Edun and Watson proving the width, neither of them can defend for shit so its just me putting 2 and 2 together, playing 3 centre halves and then not looking to shoehorn people into a weird, unbalanced 433 with no focal point. 

• Options
    I'll be happy if he signs as he will guarantee goals but i can't for the life of me understand why he wants to leave Peterborough for us. Surely we aren't going to pay him that much more than he'd be on at Peterborough?

He was already an established league one striker when they signed him for over 1 million, so he must be on decent enough money.

You could also argue that if we're happy to spend 450k on a player, it would surely be better off spent on a defender.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    This explains Tedic going then.
    He’s not signed yet, don’t count your chickens etc etc.
    Yep, hope we get him but still reckon less than 50% chance of us getting it across the line. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    For me this shows a lack of ambition from JCH and another expensive mistake from us, why when he can leave on a free and negotiate a whopper contract at the end of the season would you sign for a shitshow-gonowhere club in January.  He's only going to entertain us if we've offered him a stupid contract and he's not confident that a championship club will be interested in him come May so he's just gonna take the money and fuck it...
    Christ, now we're getting annoyed at players for wanting to sign for us. That's a new one
    I genuinely laughed out loud when I read flumbuff's comment

But as someone who watches us every week, I would particularly want to sign for us. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    For me this shows a lack of ambition from JCH and another expensive mistake from us, why when he can leave on a free and negotiate a whopper contract at the end of the season would you sign for a shitshow-gonowhere club in January.  He's only going to entertain us if we've offered him a stupid contract and he's not confident that a championship club will be interested in him come May so he's just gonna take the money and fuck it...
    You’ve never had professional pride in any job you’ve done ? Do you just rock up and give the bare minimum at work because you’re getting paid anyway or has it crossed your mind that some people always try their best. Quite remarkable.
    Well I’ve never been a jobbing lower league footballer bumbling from one contract to the next but otherwise a great comparison
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Christ, now we're getting annoyed at players for wanting to sign for us. That's a new one
    I would question their sanity to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    1. They’ve not played him much and want a younger squad.
    2. We’re a bigger team with a higher ceiling.
  • Options
    Struggle to believe we’re paying 450k in reality

ignoring the fact we are tight as fuck, that would be mental money for a 29 year old in league one out of contract in a couple of months 

sure mouthy macanthony will want that soundbyte though 
  • Options
    Rolls Royce in attack..Morris minor at the back!
    Trabant midfield...
  • Options
    Brilliant news assuming it goes through. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    You could have Alfie May,Clarke Harris and Thierry Henry up front.

But if you can't stop shipping pathetic goals it's all futile.

Getting a physical striker is one of various improvements we need to stop conceding so many. It’ll give us an outlet to hold up the ball and another big player to defend set pieces with.
    This is very true. 👍
    If you’ve ever played football at a low level, like Sunday League, you’ll know that you can win some matches six or seven nil because you are a better side than your opponents. 
    Next week you might lose five nil, because you are worse than your opponents. 
    Charlton concede goals because we are not a very good side, especially when key players are injured. 
    It’s not just down to the defence. You keep the ball out of the net by being a better side than the opposition, all over the pitch. It’s pretty basic stuff.
  • Options
    I good front line might encourage new play maker(s) to join which in turn gives confidence to incoming defensive players . Build from the front backwards sort of thing?
  • Options
    Just hope he wont be the next Marcus Maddison and is on his way down.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Or it’s just Peterborough leaking this because they’re desperate to get some money for him before he walks away for free in the summer. Perhaps JCH has no intention of signing for anyone now unless it’s silly wages. He could get a signing on fee and championship wages if he waited till the end of season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Or it’s just Peterborough leaking this because they’re desperate to get some money for him before he walks away for free in the summer. Perhaps JCH has no intention of signing for anyone now unless it’s silly wages. He could get a signing on fee and championship wages if he waited till the end of season.
    Could he? If he was so in demand then other clubs would have come for him in the summer. I think he’s a really decent signing for us (if it happens) but can’t realistically see any championship side going for him in the summer. Potentially a relegated one. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    It’s a struggle to be positive about anything at Charlton but we have paid a fee for a player it’s a difference to past. We need quite a few more signings before we can compete with the top six but Apples has to start somewhere. 
    We ain’t losing today so I’m having a good day. 
    We've paid fees for DJ, Kirk, Fraser, Lavelle, Chuks, and May in the last couple of years. JCH, along with May, probably represent the lowest risk we've made when paying a fee for a player. 

You could have Alfie May,Clarke Harris and Thierry Henry up front.

But if you can't stop shipping pathetic goals it's all futile.
    Having a striker who can hold up the ball and allow the whole team to get up the pitch and relieve pressure is part of being a good defensive side. 

Back four and the midfield also needs attention from a defensive perspective but someone like JCH is part if the jigsaw, imo. 

In the summer when his move to Bristol fell through I understood not wanting to pay £1m for a League One striker when you don't feel like he's the final missing piece. I still don't think he's the missing piece, but you're bang on when you point out that when the ball goes forward to him it sticks, and the only other forward who does that for us consistently is Chuks.

I think this is also a move planning for life after Miles. And if that's the case, then it's good forward thinking because JCH may not be available or may not want to come here in the summer.

Still have to get it over the line, but it would be a good signing and it would certainly show intent. 
    I’m going to blame Saturday drinking. 
  • Options
    A front line next season of JCH and May should be superb. If we still have them then Leaburn or Aneke off the bench and that would be better than anything else in L1.  Get JCH in. He won't sort all our problems but he would be a big part of a jigsaw.  
    Just need a proper manager with them. 
  • Options
    Absolutely nailed on that if this falls through and he goes to Wrexham this place will go into meltdown.

FWIW I think he will be through the door before the online meeting next week as it will be seen as a statement of intent and the board will hope it gives them an easier ride.

Him and May should be perfect together.
  • Options
    So his first game would be home to Peterborough? 
  • Options
    Are we really spending £450k when to date (and still) we see unknown loanees ?

I don’t know to believe it or not. 

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Could he? If he was so in demand then other clubs would have come for him in the summer. I think he’s a really decent signing for us (if it happens) but can’t realistically see any championship side going for him in the summer. Potentially a relegated one. 
    I could, he would be out of contract and his wage demands wouldn’t be as high as other established Championship strikers, perfect as a back up striker. For JCH he could double his wages, more than we could ever offer. If we do get him, then brilliant, he’s quality for this league, just not sure this is a done deal yet. Hope I’m wrong.
  • Options
    Are we really spending £450k when to date (and still) we see unknown loanees ?

I don’t know to believe it or not. 

You added a K by mistake.