Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Leuth said:
    No idea. Here he is batting. These shots are insane. Even if he's 2, 3, 4 years older than he claims (and there doesn't seem to be a dispute) they'd be insane shots 

https://youtu.be/8-GZ7A7BTWw?si=ab8BfYTfLRzF2ZLw
    There is a minor one. But it would only make him 15, rather than 13. So still mightily impressive either way.

https://www.business-standard.com/cricket/news/bihar-cricketer-vaibhav-suryanavnshi-debuts-at-12-on-radar-for-age-fraud-124010500606_1.html

• Sky have bought the rights to the Pakistan series (who saw that coming eh?)
  • Liam Dawson has been voted PCA Men's Player of the Year - the first domestic player to receive the award since 2018. The fact that he was forced to turn his back on England and forge a career with franchises, when he is the best overall spinning all rounder in all forms of the game, is a real reflection of how central contracts can limit who is picked to play. 
  • Was it not the case that he was going to be picked for the India tour but decided he wanted to play for a franchise instead? He isn't blameless in this either 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c5y08137j54o

Rookie spinner Jafer Chohan in the England white ball squad for the Windies tour.

Rookie spinner Jafer Chohan in the England white ball squad for the Windies tour.
    I thought he might break through at some point, purely as Rashid needs replacing and we're short of mystery spinners 
  • fenaddick said:
    Was it not the case that he was going to be picked for the India tour but decided he wanted to play for a franchise instead? He isn't blameless in this either 
    I can sympathise why he turned England down after being ignored for so long.

The thing about spinners, is that they do mature later. England have got into a horrible habit of picking very young spinners, who end up as ex-England players at a very young age, rather than being allowed  to learn their trade in their own time.

Will Hartley ever play for England again? The likes of Bess and Matt Parkinson were once the future...

First SACA graduate to be called up, a nice moment
  • Am surprised Topley has kept his place, thought we might have seen David Payne after leading Glocs to the Blast. I know he's not been in the best of form this year but the continued omission of Sam Hain will always confuse me. 
  • edited October 2
    fenaddick said:
    Was it not the case that he was going to be picked for the India tour but decided he wanted to play for a franchise instead? He isn't blameless in this either 
    What actually happened is that Moeen Ali was asked to come out of retirement for the Ashes instead of Dawson being called up to play. As he also wasn't one of the 26 players to be offered a central contracted players he believed that this confirmed that his playing days for England were over. He was then asked about the India tour but had already committed to playing in the SA20 (worth in the region of £150,000-£200,000). Even if he played in all 5 Tests in India he would only have received £100,000 and he would also have harmed his relationship with the franchise owners. Equally, he might not have actually played in any of them, given what Rob Key said about the situation, explaining exactly what he and the selectors thought of Dawson's ability:

"Liam Dawson is probably not someone who wants to go around India as the 15th or 16th man. I don't think it's high on his agenda to be going as, essentially, a replacement bowler. I just feel like the style of bowling that Hartley has actually puts him ahead of [Dawson], to be honest."

So Key believed that Hartley was the better bowler and that Dawson would only get a game if needed. This is the same Hartley that has taken 5 wickets at 81.80 each this summer as opposed to Dawson's 54 wickets at 25.14 and with the bat, 956 runs at an average of 59.75.  

That is also the weakness of central contracts. The likes of Bairstow, Malan and Robinson can be paid up to £500,000 for not representing their countries but someone like Dawson is expected to give up his financial security because England, who have only ever given him three Tests, come calling once in a blue moon. It also explains why England are throwing so many rookies at the wall to see if they stick - because they do not have any outside commitments to give up.  
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c5y08137j54o

First SACA graduate to be called up, a nice moment
    He would never have received that recognition but for SACA. The fact that there has been a need for SACA confirms what I have been saying for a decade on here prior to their formation. That unless you were in the private school/county pathway, your chances of being even seen were next to nil. 
  • fenaddick said:
    What actually happened is that Moeen Ali was asked to come out of retirement for the Ashes instead of Dawson being called up to play. As he also wasn't one of the 26 players to be offered a central contracted players he believed that this confirmed that his playing days for England were over. He was then asked about the India tour but had already committed to playing in the SA20 (worth in the region of £150,000-£200,000). Even if he played in all 5 Tests in India he would only have received £100,000 and he would also have harmed his relationship with the franchise owners. Equally, he might not have actually played in any of them, given what Rob Key said about the situation, explaining exactly what he and the selectors thought of Dawson's ability:

"Liam Dawson is probably not someone who wants to go around India as the 15th or 16th man. I don't think it's high on his agenda to be going as, essentially, a replacement bowler. I just feel like the style of bowling that Hartley has actually puts him ahead of [Dawson], to be honest."

So Key believed that Hartley was the better bowler and that Dawson would only get a game if needed. This is the same Hartley that has taken 5 wickets at 81.80 each this summer as opposed to Dawson's 54 wickets at 25.14 and with the bat, 956 runs at an average of 59.75.  

That is also the weakness of central contracts. The likes of Bairstow, Malan and Robinson can be paid up to £500,000 for not representing their countries but someone like Dawson is expected to give up his financial security because England, who have only ever given him three Tests, come calling once in a blue moon. It also explains why England are throwing so many rookies at the wall to see if they stick - because they do not have any outside commitments to give up.  
    Just as Essex are "lucky" with Porter and Sam Cook, Hampshire are lucky to have such a good player available all summer.
  • Aren't we due a new central contracts list? Will be interesting to see if the likes of Robinson are retained for 2025 as he was only on a one year 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Aren't we due a new central contracts list? Will be interesting to see if the likes of Robinson are retained for 2025 as he was only on a one year 
    You imagine not. He hasn't given up on England though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c77xd6lj4xro
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Aren't we due a new central contracts list? Will be interesting to see if the likes of Robinson are retained for 2025 as he was only on a one year 
    They came out last year on 24th October even though they started over three weeks earlier on the 1st. So, most of the players know whether they are likely to be contracted but, equally, some still have one or two years left on those announced last year. 
  • MarcusH26 said:

I'm not surprised he hasn't given up on England, I just think Key will look elsewhere in terms of pace bowlers. Robinson got outperformed by both Jayden Seales and Jaydev Unadkat as overseas players this season and I'd expect to see the likes of Tongue, Pennington,Hull ,Carse and Potts before Robinson. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I'm not surprised he hasn't given up on England, I just think Key will look elsewhere in terms of pace bowlers. Robinson got outperformed by both Jayden Seales and Jaydev Unadkat as overseas players this season and I'd expect to see the likes of Tongue, Pennington,Hull ,Carse and Potts before Robinson. 
    Robinson being a bit of a knob doesn't help his cause either!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Robinson being a bit of a knob doesn't help his cause either!

Yeah he's completely dislikeable. I'll believe the fitness stuff when it actually happens with him, feels like every time he's dropped he talks about getting fit and it never happens. Will be interesting to see him in County Div 1 next season 
  • edited October 3
    https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/4139122/england-lions-name-squad-for-south-africa-development-camp

Lions squad is interesting reading . Looks like express pace is the name of the game. 

England Lions Squad

Farhan Ahmed (Nottinghamshire)
    Zaman Akhtar (Gloucestershire)
    Kasey Aldridge (Somerset)
    Pat Brown (Derbyshire)
    Jafer Chohan (Yorkshire) – part involvement
    James Coles (Sussex)
    Henry Crocombe (Sussex)
    Josh Hull (Leicestershire)
    Matt Hurst (Lancashire) – part involvement
    Tom Lawes (Surrey)
    Freddie McCann (Nottinghamshire)
    Ben McKinney (Durham)
    Harry Moore (Derbyshire)
    Dan Mousley (Warwickshire)
    Dillon Pennington (Nottinghamshire)
    James Rew (Somerset)
    Hamza Shaikh (Warwickshire)
    Mitch Stanley (Lancashire)
    John Turner (Hampshire)

• Hull with the Lions presumably means he's not under consideration for the main NZ party.
  • Sponsored links:

• No Kent players 😂
  • What most of us feel has happened with regards to Robinson and why his chances of returning under this regime are minimal are exposed by Mark Butcher:

“I don’t think there’s any denying his [Robinson’s] skill as a bowler, and I’m pretty sure that is not the reason why he’s on the outside at the moment,” said Butcher, speaking on the Wisden Cricket Weekly podcast. “I think there’s been a breakdown in trust between him and the management. From what I’ve heard and what I think I know, the covenant of trust between those guys and the player has broken down almost irretrievably.

“The management would firmly place the blame at his door; he may respond to that, but that is essentially it. There’s no doubting the stats or his ability. However, the management gives the England players a great deal of latitude when it comes to their trust, and I believe he has betrayed that trust too many times for both Ben Stokes and Brendan McCullum, so he is now on the outside.”
  • Really nice interview with Woakes here about playing abroad, Anderson as a coach and a bit about grief at the end. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/oct/03/chris-woakes-interview-england-test-cricket-pakistan?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Stokes out of the First Test against Pakistan. The review King that is Ollie Pope will continue to captain the side. 
  • Bryson Carse makes his Test debut, in the revolving door that is the England seam bowling department post Jimmy and Broady.
  • Bryson Carse makes his Test debut, in the revolving door that is the England seam bowling department post Jimmy and Broady.
    They're trying so hard to make this happen aren't they. His recent FC record is....let's be polite and say it isn't encouraging. But, yknow. He has attributes
  • edited October 5
    Carse has played FOUR county championship games this summer, taking 4 wickets at 106.

But pace is everything...
  • Carse has played FOUR county championship games this summer, taking 4 wickets at 106.

But pace is everything...
    Not sure how many of those were kookaburra games ? Maybe none - I have no idea 
  • Leuth said:
    Bryson Carse makes his Test debut, in the revolving door that is the England seam bowling department post Jimmy and Broady.
    They're trying so hard to make this happen aren't they. His recent FC record is....let's be polite and say it isn't encouraging. But, yknow. He has attributes
    Rewind 5 months and delete cares and add Atkinson and I could be reading similar posts on the same thread
  • Leuth said:
    Bryson Carse makes his Test debut, in the revolving door that is the England seam bowling department post Jimmy and Broady.

I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't get it as a selection in any format. Shame Josh Tongue has spent most of the year injured because he'd be a far better move than Carse.