Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Anderson deserves that. Tiniest of edges gets Ashwin.

364-7

Ashwin 20 (37) c Foakes b Anderson
  • After a few overs yesterday I thought this is a 400 score for India and a great toss to win.
    After watching Jaiswal's first over yesterday I thought he looked nervous and England could get him out cheaply 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • edited February 3
    After a few overs yesterday I thought this is a 400 score for India and a great toss to win.
    After watching Jaiswal's first over yesterday I thought he looked nervous and England could get him out cheaply 🤦🏻‍♂️
    He’s found Anderson unplayable but looks in no trouble at all against the spinners. Something like 10-15 runs off 60 odd balls faced from Jimmy.
  • Anderson gets Jaiswal after he gets impatient and charges down the wicket at him. Skied it and caught in the deep.

383-8

Jaiswal 209 (290) c Bairstow b Anderson
  • edited February 3
    After a few overs yesterday I thought this is a 400 score for India and a great toss to win.
    He’s found Anderson unplayable but looks in no trouble at all against the spinners. Something like 10-15 runs off 60 odd balls faced from Jimmy.

Spot on Callum and it's good to see Jimmy has taken his wicket after a double century.

Anderson still showing at 41 that his is a master craftsman.
  • Out goes Jimmy, in comes Rehan and another wicket falls. Edged to slip.

395-9

Bumrah 6 (9) c Root b Rehan
  • That’s the last wicket down! Bashir takes the last one, another edge to slip.

396 all out

Mukesh 0 (3) c Root b Bashir
  • edited February 3
    England will be delighted to have kept the Indian first innings score below 400.

Jaiswal scored 209 and the other ten batsmen combined scored 185. We keep hearing the pitch is good for batting and I suppose we’ll soon find out whether that’s true or not.
  • edited February 3
    The wicket is doing a lot more on the second day and I fear England will be 150 runs short of India. Really hope I'm wrong.
  • Ben Duckett needs to get his eye in quickly as 2 inside edges off his first two balls faced !
  • Sponsored links:

• Crawley and Duckett with their 5th Opening partnership of 50+ in a row.
  • 4x4 by Crawley in one over.
    The big man is in overdrive.
  • edited February 3
    Got to slow it down now though, Pope should have been stumped first ball. Indian spinners have put the pressure on.

... I say as Crawley drives a 4 down the ground. 

Edit: and a 6 to bring his 50 up.
  • Zak hits a six to bring up his 50 after Pope gets fortunate not to be stumped.
  • 75/1  after 15 overs.
  • edited February 3
    Not that long ago Crawley looked like a walking wicket for England. 
    Plenty we're calling for him to be dropped. 

So full credit to the coaches and selectors who saw something in him and kept faith in him.

Hopefully I've not jinxed him now.
  • Only one reverse sweep in 19 overs by England and Pope missed it and was nearly LBW. No reverse sweeps by Duckett at all which shows this is a different pitch at the moment to the 1st test. Great contest again.
  • 105/1 after 20 overs.
  • Not that long ago Crawley looked like a walking wicket for England. 
    Plenty we're calling for him to be dropped. 

So full credit to the coaches and selectors who saw something in him and kept faith in him.

Hopefully I've not jinxed him now.
    Agreed. He is looking imperious at present.

Ben Duckett has gone a bit under the radar. He might not be as cavalier as Crawley but averages 42.20 in Test cricket and 50.64 if you take out the 110 runs he scored in four Test matches back in 2016 before he was dropped - for six years! Perhaps if the same regime had been in situ back then we might have had an opener for the last eight years. 
  • India 1.62
    England 3.65
    Draw 8.80
  • Sponsored links:

• Another 50 partnership Crawley/Pope
  • A remarkable stat from India's innings. We conceded just 2 extras out of a total of 396, one of which was a leg bye. That  demonstrates remarkable control and discipline - in a tight Test match that can be crucial but it is more from the perspective of what sloppy bowling and keeping does to the overall mentality of the side. 
  • Oh Zak 😫
  • Crawley comes down the track to Axar's fourth ball, doesn't quite get to the pitch of the ball and is brilliantly caught by Iyer running back and over this head for an excellent 76 off 78

114-2 
  • First mistake and Crawley is out after looking so good to an excellent catch.
    Root does the 2nd reverse sweep of the innings and gets a 4.
  • edited February 3
    It is very difficult to be critical of a Pope, given what he achieved in the first Test, but he just looks like he is falling over, mainly against the quicks, a bit at times and his head isn't in line with the ball. The danger is that he could be vulnerable to an LBW if he misses one doing so. 
  • Root gets caught at slip to a ball from Bumrah that he really should be leaving for 5 (10)

123-3
  • Here it comes collapso cricket 
  • Here it comes collapso cricket 
    That's the spirit 
  • Vital wicket of Root for India.
    The memory of the 3-1 come back by India on the last tour is still stuck in my mind.
    Crucial time now as we can't afford a change of momentum.