Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Preview: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic | Friday 29 December - Kick-Off 19:45

Comments

• I think that supporting Charton in the 2020s is like reading a terribly sad book about someone who gets divorced at the end of each chapter. You think the next chapter is going to get better, that he/she is going to find the right person. You read on, with little hope but thinking that surely the author must be leading us to a happier somewhere, surely. Each chapter begins well but again this terrible story continues. Why can’t we put the book away never to read it again? 

One of the things about getting a new manager is that it begins somewhat cheerfully, and then when the players realise that the fans have turned against him - it's like reading the same sad chapter again. We move onto the next chapter and the author writes the same old sad story again.

Who is the author?
    There is not one author, there are many: the fans, the owners, everyone who works at the club.

This match may not only be the last match of the year but if the authors don’t get behind the manager, however hard that may be to do, it will be the last page of the Appleton chapter.

I think that as authors we need to write a new chapter ourselves, not about things coming to an end, but about knowing how good something was, how we did it, and that if we try that method again, however slow and hard it may be, this book will come to an end and everything in the new book will be different.

The new book will be about a relationship being given the chance to work. It’s not particularly strange or complicated to understand, but it needs courage and hard work to write.

Brilliantly put.
  • Well all these people who say poor ref  decisions even themselves out , today one we are owed . Rovers got a massive helping hand at the valley .. in their victory we are owed big time tonight ….

Matt Taylor has changed the way they play he gone 3 at the back …. they have some excellent players Arron Collins is still the player we should be going for better then Clarke-Harris .

Time to change the system we don’t have good enough wingers to play 433 especially in supporting the full backs .. so I would go 3421 
    AMB

Thomas
    Hector
    Jones

T Watson 
    Dobson 
    Watson
    Edun 

Fraser ( back in his proper role ) 
    May

Tedic 

• I think that supporting Charton in the 2020s is like reading a terribly sad book about someone who gets divorced at the end of each chapter. You think the next chapter is going to get better, that he/she is going to find the right person. You read on, with little hope but thinking that surely the author must be leading us to a happier somewhere, surely. Each chapter begins well but again this terrible story continues. Why can’t we put the book away never to read it again? 

One of the things about getting a new manager is that it begins somewhat cheerfully, and then when the players realise that the fans have turned against him - it's like reading the same sad chapter again. We move onto the next chapter and the author writes the same old sad story again.

Who is the author?
    There is not one author, there are many: the fans, the owners, everyone who works at the club.

This match may not only be the last match of the year but if the authors don’t get behind the manager, however hard that may be to do, it will be the last page of the Appleton chapter.

I think that as authors we need to write a new chapter ourselves, not about things coming to an end, but about knowing how good something was, how we did it, and that if we try that method again, however slow and hard it may be, this book will come to an end and everything in the new book will be different.

The new book will be about a relationship being given the chance to work. It’s not particularly strange or complicated to understand, but it needs courage and hard work to write.

It feels like watching Requiem for a Dream to me.
  • Reasons to be cheerful!
    Against Orient we made 6 defensive errors that could have cost us. But only conceded 1!
    Our luck has changed.

Also a video on You Tube came mysteriously on to my home page from the "Hipster Football Fan" who covered the Orient game , his video shows Alfie May shot, the ball clearly striking the defenders hand/ forearm but concludes  that it was "ball to hand" rather than anything else.I don't understand the new rules but I think that fits the video evidence.
  • I have a spare terrace ticket at face value if anyone fancies piling on some more misery! Will be in Bristol from 3ish for collection 

@DeflectedWide is this still going? Have DM'd you. cheers
  • edited December 2023
    Reasons to be cheerful!
    Against Orient we made 6 defensive errors that could have cost us. But only conceded 1!
    Our luck has changed.

Also a video on You Tube came mysteriously on to my home page from the "Hipster Football Fan" who covered the Orient game , his video shows Alfie May shot, the ball clearly striking the defenders hand/ forearm but concludes  that it was "ball to hand" rather than anything else.I don't understand the new rules but I think that fits the video evidence.
    That's the thing with highlights, it can never cover how gutless a performance it was. Personally I try to convince myself that the reason it was poor is because most of the gutless fuckers won't be here in a months time so they don't particularly care, I'm still trying to convince myself though. 
  • edited December 2023
    If other teams hadn't been fiddling the books, we'd be 13th and only 7pts from relegation zone. This is another awful season, that could (and likely will) definately get worse, and I think that the owners will be very aware of the reality facing their investment.

For me is it's a bit like buying a 2nd hand mid-range car with 100,000 on the clock, that was running fine when you bought it, but then it needed 4 tyres, a new exhaust, the brakes need doing and a now gearbox too. Suddenly it's turning into a nightmare purchase, but unless the gearbox gets fixed, it's useless and nobody will buy it from you, for anywhere near what you paid. So, do you suck it up and take the pain or scrap it and lose pretty much everything invested so far. The later, at least you are off the hook! 
  • It would be a good analogy but the club wasn’t ’running fine when (they) bought it’. All the things that need fixing now needed fixing then and they sacked their first mechanic without giving him any decent new parts except a laser gun (Alfie May) which is no good if the car’s stuck in the garage.
  • After the debacle at Orient I am thankful I had attending all four matches over the holidays vetoed but I hope those heading to Bristol get a performance and ideally a result too.

Will probably still try to negotiate watching it on the stream tonight though, just cannot escape this curse of being a fan. 
  • The only reason I’ll watch is because I’ve paid for the Annual subscription. More of the same from Apples I’m afraid. Square pegs in round holes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hard to find something positive to say about this match. Our away form is appalling and the performance on Tues was pathetic. Expect more of the same here against a super confident in form team. Just blame the injury list Apples, 3-0 Rovers.
  • So will the manager again play the striker on the wing the winger in number 10 the number 10 in cm and have the defenders line across the 6 yard box marking space instead of marking any of the opponents. 
    Yes probably because it’s the thing to do. 
    Hopefully we might snatch another draw tonight. 

Who is the author?

That would be the logical approach. The problem is we have had owners, Not just these ones, who have egos that make them  think they more how to do it than examples of how it has been done successfully before. 
  • We have been crap for our past three games or so, but really, Brizzle? They are barely better than us and have the donkey Marquis leading the line. I think we will grit out a 0 1 win. Hope so 'cos I've just bought a TV pass. I never learn...
  • My head says a Rovers win, but this is Charlton and we always seem to upset the bookies when least expected. 

1-3. 
  • We have been crap for our past three games or so, but really, Brizzle? They are barely better than us and have the donkey Marquis leading the line. I think we will grit out a 0 1 win. Hope so 'cos I've just bought a TV pass. I never learn...
    Marquis hat-trick incoming..lol
  • Well all these people who say poor ref  decisions even themselves out , today one we are owed . Rovers got a massive helping hand at the valley .. in their victory we are owed big time tonight ….

Matt Taylor has changed the way they play he gone 3 at the back …. they have some excellent players Arron Collins is still the player we should be going for better then Clarke-Harris .

Time to change the system we don’t have good enough wingers to play 433 especially in supporting the full backs .. so I would go 3421 
    AMB

Thomas
    Hector
    Jones

T Watson 
    Dobson 
    Watson
    Edun 

Fraser ( back in his proper role ) 
    May

Tedic 

Fraser can feck right off. I’ve had enough of his Kirk impression. 
  • A defeat, at least two goals conceded, a terrible mistake leading to one of those, bad refereeing and a sending off is my prediction.
  • We won’t lose tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Been in bath for a lovely 3 days - heading to Bristol for Charlton to ruin the trip, fully expecting to be beat 3-0 at least.
  • Can't bear to watch tonight. If I watch we'll be awful & lose.
    So there's a good chance we'll win. 
  • We won’t lose tonight
    Have you switched to Bristol Rovers?
  • We will all be moaning after calling everyone gutless which is probably true. Don’t expect too much tonight they are on a roll, with a manager we could have had in the summer. Get the tissues ready. 
  • The good news tonight, for those standing on that horrible open terrace, is that it'll be dry.
  • Having missed the Orient game, will be watching the stream for this. 

Appleton HAS to change something. He can't keep playing the same players in the same system, as it's not working, and making us a bit predictable. 
  • We sneak a crafty 2-1 defeat after being 1-0 up with 85 mins to go ..Applecuse says its because his players aren't experienced enough to cope with the west country wind 
  • Can anyone tell me if the new parking restrictions have come in at Charlton yet. Cheers 

Who is the author?

And that folks is what living in France does to your brain. 

Now, if you were in London, you wouldn't be thinking like that. Sadiq Khan has purified the air now that ULEZ has stretched to the M25. 
  • Having missed the Orient game, will be watching the stream for this. 

Appleton HAS to change something. He can't keep playing the same players in the same system, as it's not working, and making us a bit grumpy.
    adapted for my viewpoint.