Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Preview: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic | Friday 29 December - Kick-Off 19:45

Comments

• Hard to see anything other than a Bristol Rovers win, got a very decent manager in Taylor, just beaten Bolton and Pompey in the last 2 weeks, got some very decent players.

I think 2-1 or 3-1 rovers but I also wouldn't be surprised if we sneak a 1-1 draw.

They haven't kept a clean sheet in 8 games in a row so I expect us to get a goal at least 
  • They’re in great form. We’re in awful form. 

It’s L1 so put your house on a Charlton win 
    This has got a ‘Luton’ or ‘Brighton’ away score line written all over it. Same number for the home team and just a question of whether we get 1 or nil
  • edited December 2023
    A real test of Appleton's management. The last two games have been dire, losing is one thing but losing the way they did against Orient displays a lack of desire to fight for the shirt. Appleton mentioned that when things are going against you, such as poor refereeing decisions, heads drop, well whether I think you are a good manager or not, it's your job to lift players or remove those who can't be asked. Only a Barnsley like performance will do and a change in formation might give them a chance, if Chem Campbell is a winger then play him as part of a front three and let Alfie May drop into that forward midfield role 
                Maynard-Brewer
         T Watson Hector Jones Edun
                Watson Dobson 
                         May
        C Campbell Kanu Blackett-Taylor
  • Just hope we don't sabotage the future of any more of our promising youngsters.

Be interesting to see if there is an angry professional reaction to the Boxing Day debacle or if Appleton has lost them already.

Not that interesting though. 

3-1
  • If we witness another dreadful performance please can someone ask Appleton is considering his position or at least fearful of the sack.
    in addition, he needs to justify recent team selection and tactics.
    He seems to get off lightly when he needs to be more accountable.
  • For the first time this season

Not buying the stream
    really don’t care 
    feel for those that are travelling 
    expect us to lose 2-0/3-0

you know this is the game we go and put in our best performance of the season
  • edited December 2023
    One of two things has to happen. Some of our players need to be ashamed of what they are doing and put in a performance or they have to accept they have been very lucky playing for us with their inability to show any bite or courage. Too afraid to tackle, too afraid to play quick incisive ball. Of course neither of those two things will probably happen and we lose 3-1.

Forgetting about the result, the Orient game was very poor. Two very poor sides unable to play even the simplest football. I personally think it is a disgrace.
  • A must win.
    But a shrug of the shoulders defeat I suspect, from a manager who will be hurting far more than the 700 odd fans who schlepp their way down there.

• the Pesky Little Pirates will be out to pillage us again ! .. and the form they're in, they might just do it .. with Matt Taylor they have gained at Rotherham's loss
    This will be a tough one and once again (boring) I'll be happy(ish) with a draw and wait with high expectations to see what transpires with us during the 'January Window'
  • Sponsored links:

• Just can’t see past an easy win for Rovers 2-0
  • Sort of game where you fear the worst, whist hoping for the best...
    And certainly wouldn't put it past them to turn in a 1-2 win, forever glass full...🍺
  • They’re in great form. We’re in awful form. 

It’s L1 so put your house on a Charlton win 
    normally, wouldn't be able to fault the logic on this one but we are a genuinely rudderless ship atm and can see the losing margins getting bigger and bigger - we've played some pretty poor teams in the last few weeks - some half decent teams will go straight through us as we have bugger all to worry them - season was over when leaburn and aneke got injured.   
  • edited December 2023
    A lot of the players aren't good enough, so need to digest this! If the owners do open the purse strings and allow a few signings, these shirkers and poor performers will be out of the team, and likely stay out. Either they request a move in January to rekindle their careers, or linger in the reserves. It will be telling whether there is any upturn in individual performance and accountability. Failing a huge change in attitude, I fear (without actually caring) what will become of these players.

2-0 and Appleton is really up against it, as will the owners be. 
  • Aw, do we have to play again. So soon?
  • Forget the result as I can’t see anything but a loss but if they put in another performance like the last couple things could get nasty
  • 1-1    Fraser for us then we concede in the 98th minute for a draw
  • seth plum said:
    A must win.
    But a shrug of the shoulders defeat I suspect, from a manager who will be hurting far more than the 700 odd fans who schlepp their way down there.

I don’t actually think it really is a “must win”, there’s no chance of playoffs now and little chance of relegation. There’s just 24 matches stretching out across the next five months that will bring nothing but mediocrity.
  • edited December 2023
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.

I don’t actually think it really is a “must win”, there’s no chance of playoffs now and little chance of relegation. There’s just 24 matches stretching out across the next five months that will bring nothing but mediocrity.
    ‘Little chance of relegation’ ? There’s 7 games between now and the end of January and on current form every one a likely loss, though we might see one or two draws. That gap between us and the relegation spots will narrow if there isn’t a big change in form and then we will be in a relegation battle for the rest of the season

• Sponsored links:

• Can someone please cover me for the next couple of previews? I’ve had a hand operation and typing out on the phone with one hand is challenging enough.

A change of formation with Thomas coming in to the team. Can see maybe Edun being pushed into midfield 3 with CBT as wing-back. May and Kanu up top. 

Credit to anyone who is making the trip on a Friday night to watch this shower.
  • Leuth said:
    The idea that we'll be in a relegation battle is a fantasy dreamt up by people who can't face up to the tedium of what our actual fate is (mid-table drudgery again)
    Have you actually being going to any games lately ?
  • Hard to see anything other than a Bristol Rovers win, got a very decent manager in Taylor, just beaten Bolton and Pompey in the last 2 weeks, got some very decent players.

I think 2-1 or 3-1 rovers but I also wouldn't be surprised if we sneak a 1-1 draw.

They haven't kept a clean sheet in 8 games in a row so I expect us to get a goal at least 
    Yep I'll say the same, just hope Alfie gets our one to get him firing again.
  • Sage said:
    Can someone please cover me for the next couple of previews? I’ve had a hand operation and typing out on the phone with one hand is challenging enough.

A change of formation with Thomas coming in to the team. Can see maybe Edun being pushed into midfield 3 with CBT as wing-back. May and Kanu up top. 

No probs, unless someone else is keen. 👍
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    The idea that we'll be in a relegation battle is a fantasy dreamt up by people who can't face up to the tedium of what our actual fate is (mid-table drudgery again)
    Have you actually being going to any games lately ?
    No, it's all an elaborate ruse, I'm actually a Stalybridge Celtic fan getting his kicks 
    Hope you still have a roof on your house there 😂
  • Agree with Sage to bring Thomas back into the team. Three at the back, with Aslimwe and Watson or Edun as wing backs. Dobbo with Watson and Fraser. May with Tedic/Kanu up front. After about 60 minutes let CBT loose for his last game with us. 
    Priority to sign someone better than Fraser and a winger to replace CBT who will track back.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Sage said:
    Can someone please cover me for the next couple of previews? I’ve had a hand operation and typing out on the phone with one hand is challenging enough.

No probs, unless someone else is keen. 👍
    Thank you!