Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

🎄CHRISTMAS TV FILM WATCH 2023 🎅

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Just watch "Bull" on Netflix, based on the recommendation here. 

Jesus. Not exactly Christmas family viewing and certainly not for the faint-hearted, but I absolutely loved it. Not sure how or why it's passed me by until now.

9/10 for me
    Great isn’t it.
    But I always think the fella who plays Bull is Tubes from SoccerAM 🤷‍♀️🫣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Jesus. Not exactly Christmas family viewing and certainly not for the faint-hearted, but I absolutely loved it. Not sure how or why it's passed me by until now.

9/10 for me
    Great isn’t it.
    Nah, it's Rod from the Football Factory. 

Most of the films I've seen him in since that have been fairly crappy low budget things and he hasn't been particularly convincing, but he certainly pulls this role off superbly. Very impressive.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

9/10 for me
    Great isn’t it.
    He was one of my best mates growing up. Went Bexley Grammar together and then college in Dartford,  drifted away from our group after that. Lovely guy.  Last bumped into him about 3 years ago over Greenwich Park 
    Tubes?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

9/10 for me
    Great isn’t it.
    He was one of my best mates growing up. Went Bexley Grammar together and then college in Dartford,  drifted away from our group after that. Lovely guy.  Last bumped into him about 3 years ago over Greenwich Park 
    Tubes?
    No Neil Maskell, the actor you’re talking about 
  • Options
    Off_it said:

9/10 for me
    It’s good innit 😀
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

9/10 for me
    Great isn’t it.
    Tubes?
    No Neil Maskell, the actor you’re talking about 
    I know, I know ......
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Saw an early Norman Wisdom film yesterday and surprised to see him beaten up by a young Oliver Reeds gang, and saved by younger Michael Caine and his gang.
    Are you sure this wasn't a dream?

• Options
    Off_it said:

9/10 for me
    Great isn’t it.
    Wow! That’s class.
    Was his nickname Tubes? 🤣🤣🤣😜😜😘
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Subjected myself to most of Last Christmas. While I already knew what the twist was, it still was totally contrived rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've seen it before, and despite the fact I really like Wham, enjoy the occasional romcom and have liked the main cast in various other things, I was struggling to make it through to the end. Didn't help that I kept thinking at various points "why did you use this song here, when that one would have been more appropriate?"
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Die Hard is my choice 
  • Options
    I have to watch Die Hard every Xmas. Love it.
  • Options
    Genuinely a lot of younger people won't entertain stuff even like American Pie because of perceived sensitivities, completely missing the point of acting, comedy etc 

Ferris Buellers day off is a classic and still blows my mind Connor Roy was in it! 

Die Hard, great movie 

All Christmas films have a long way to go to beat A Muppets Christmas Carol however, still the truest depiction of the Dickens book in my humble opinion 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Genuinely a lot of younger people won't entertain stuff even like American Pie because of perceived sensitivities, completely missing the point of acting, comedy etc 

Ferris Buellers day off is a classic and still blows my mind Connor Roy was in it! 

Die Hard, great movie 

All Christmas films have a long way to go to beat A Muppets Christmas Carol however, still the truest depiction of the Dickens book in my humble opinion 
    Of all the films I’ve shown my 15 year old son expecting him to like, some of which he didn’t much including American Pie, Ferris Bueller is his favourite. 

If you describe it to someone it sounds a bit banal but it’s one of those films that just works.
  • Options
    Watched Love Actually last night, a must at Christmas.
  • Options
    I was going to put that as my film to avoid ! 
    I hate that film with a passion but I know lots of people love it for some unknown reason . 
    Ah c'mon Beds. It's an easy watch, feel good film. Bah humbug to you !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was going to put that as my film to avoid ! 
    I hate that film with a passion but I know lots of people love it for some unknown reason . 
    Ah c'mon Beds. It's an easy watch, feel good film. Bah humbug to you !!
    To be fair my a wife loves it as well . 
  • Options
    Seen Die Hard once already a couple of weeks ago but certainly won’t miss the opportunity to watch it again.
  • Options
    We watched it with our 15 year old daughter last night. 1st time she’s seen it and she loved it. Couple of awkward scenes though!
  • Options
    Saw Belfast in the end yesterday. Thought it was ok. Liked how it was filmed but like 1917 there are bits I can not stand. Farmhouse bit in 1917 and a bit at the end of Belfast with Billy the bully. Won't mention anymore cos neither are terrible films. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    CHRISTMAS EVE 
    ----------------------------------------
    5.45PM              -            CHANNEL 4     -         MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET

9.00PM             -              ITV 2           -           THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY
    10.50PM           -              FILM4            -          ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
    8.00PM              -              SKY CINEMA CHRISTMAS          -             ELF 
    8.00PM              -               SKY CINEMA SCI-FI/HORROR       -      BACK TO THE FUTURE  
    ANYTIME           -               NETFLIX                -             THE LITTLE THINGS 

FILM TO AVOID
    -----------------------
    3.25                     -               CHANNEL 5                -              THE HOLIDAY

RECOMMENDED FILM OF THE DAY

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD                              

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeMaP8EPAA

• Options
    Once upon a time in Hollywood is really good 

Love Actually makes me angry, not the film itself but that people like it. Richard Curtis has a formula, get a load of upper middle class actors to play upper middle class people like, the men all have to be bumbling, stuttering idiots, make some kids swear, make some posh people swear, make some posh woman get improportionately upset about a perceived slight, posh man apologises and maybe irons someone put with 1 straight arm punch or by running somewhere and everyone lives happily every after 

Love Actually gives me problems over the following 

Andrew Lincolns character full stop
    Keira Knightlys character same 
    The slaggy chick who wants to bang Alan Rickman 
    Alan Rickmans character 
    Colin Firths character

I don't mind Bill Nighys character but still fall on the side of dislike somehow 

• Options
    Carter said:

Ferris Buellers day off is a classic and still blows my mind Connor Roy was in it

Die Hard, great movie 

There're even some similarities between those two characters I think. Both Connor and Cameron are rich kids and both want the love and attention of their rich fathers! :D
  • Options
    Carter said:

Love Actually makes me angry, not the film itself but that people like it. Richard Curtis has a formula, get a load of upper middle class actors to play upper middle class people like, the men all have to be bumbling, stuttering idiots, make some kids swear, make some posh people swear, make some posh woman get improportionately upset about a perceived slight, posh man apologises and maybe irons someone put with 1 straight arm punch or by running somewhere and everyone lives happily every after 

Alan Rickmans character 
    Colin Firths character

I don't mind Bill Nighys character but still fall on the side of dislike somehow 

I find it odd that some people like films that glorify in violence or murder or films that frighten the shit out of you but I don’t get angry about it. There are films, like music it’s all subjective and you like what you like and don’t watch what you don’t.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Alan Rickmans character 
    Colin Firths character

I find it odd that some people like films that glorify in violence or murder or films that frighten the shit out of you but I don’t get angry about it. There are films, like music it’s all subjective and you like what you like and don’t watch what you don’t.
    Its not so much the subject matter or genre, I think romantic comedy when done well is magnificent. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Just Friends are two examples off the top of my head. 

What grinds my gears is how the working class are portrayed in these films, written by, performed by and produced by exclusively middle to upper class people who invariably produce something a bit patronising. If they get that wrong it isn't entirely their fault as actors are just that but it shows a mile off that nobody involved has any concept or lived experience of what they are committing to screen. 

Violence, shagging, murder, even posh people doing posh people stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest if it is relevant. Shower scenes in 90s films always just seem distracting and not entirely relevant to the plot but complete full frontal nudity in a comedic context or if two people are shagging is totally relevant, especially if its the culmination of some well built sexual tension. As a 42 year old, straight, filthy minded male I always appreciate an attractive actress not wearing any clothes however I thought the scene in Brokeback Mountain where Heath Ledger starts giving Jake Gylenhall the good news in that tent whilst being eye wateringly graphic was totally relevant and necessary

• Options
    Santa claus the movie - 1985 currently being watched as it does traditionally every Xmas eve.