Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview: Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic - Saturday 2nd December 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off

Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic
FA Cup 2nd Round
Saturday 2nd December 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sunny Singh Gill

Introduction
Charlton take another break this Saturday, as they return to Cup action, and the first of a double header in separate Competitions - The Addicks eventually managed to overcome Cray Valley Paper Mills in the last round of the FA Cup, and so setup a trip in Kent, with League Two; Gillingham awaiting our arrival - Just the one round before the real heavyweights make their yearly appearance.

The Opposition
Name: Gillingham (League Two) - Manager: Stephen Clemence
Ground: Priestfield Stadium
FA Cup 1st Round: Hereford 0-2 Gillingham

To reach the 2nd Round of the FA Cup; Gillingham had to overcome their own Non-League opposition, travelling to Herefordshire, and National League North side: Hereford - The Gills were victors, without the need of a replay, but did require an 88th minute penalty to guarantee their advance in the competition, and will be looking to reach the Third Round for the fourth time in the last six seasons.

Charlton have of course already faced Gillingham this season, albeit in a Pre-Season Friendly, ending up 3-1 victors, with goals from Tyreece Campbell; Corey Blackett-Taylor and Jack Payne... Will Wright scored the sole goal for Gillingham but has since moved on to Crawley Town

He's not the only one to have left Medway; Manager... Neil Harris, was surprisingly sacked at the start of October, leaving the Kent side in 8th spot, having spent the early stages of the season in the top three - His replacement; Stephen Clemence is in his first official Managerial job, having eeked out a career as a Midfielder in the Premier League for Tottenham, Birmingham and Leicester... He has just four wins since taking charge, three of those at the Priestfield, including a 1-0 win over AFC Wimbledon, on Tuesday night.

Charlton Team News
There were a good few fans that were left unhappy with Appleton's selection choice against Cray Valley... at the Valley - When it came to the replay, we got a much stronger team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of the same this coming Saturday - It will however be a chance for Lucas Ness and Nathan Asiimwe to get minutes, whilst our options in attack have no doubt been depleted what with Miles Leaburn picking up a fresh injury

As a result we could well see another appearance on the bench for youngster: Micah Mbick, who has had a sudden rise in the Addicks ranks

Maynard-Brewer
Asiimwe - Ness - Jones - Edun
L.Watson - McGrandles
Fraser
T.Campbell - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Hector - Thomas - T.Watson - Dobson - Tedic - Mbick - Kedwell - Casey

Comments

• Options
    Just read that we lost to them during the premier league days (2004)! I'd completely forgotten. We had Claus Jensen in the team (from the picture) etc. I'm never over confident especially in the Cup. However I enjoy the more attacking games in the Cup and expecting a white knuckle ride (!). COYR
  • Options
    Like your team FA, except I think MA will start with Tedic instead of May, to give him minutes tomorrow and Wednesday, before the next league game
  • Options
    I hope we win three nil and Tedic proves me wrong by getting all three. 
  • Options
    Spoke to someone whose son works at Gillingham, they have had the covers on the pitch, so fingers crossed, check before you leave.
  • Options
    The game has been picked for coverage abroad so there’s likely to be streams available tomorrow afternoon.
    I’m being really thick here but how does one who is abroad get to view the match if it’s not on bbc? 🥸
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Hmmmmmm.  FA Cup at the Jills, which Charlton will turn up? If the relatively mid table L1 outfit with at least 1 rickett built in turn up  I reckon 1-1 and a replay. 

Love it if we smash em, but we rarely do that.
  • Options
    0-2 should be comfortable win.

But we will freeze our nuts off watching from the stand sponsored by Meccano
  • Options
    Didn't they have a big screen up in one of the bars for the 2004 game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure why but i have a bad feeling about tomorrow. We should win with a full strength side but i'd be happy to take them back to Valley and be in the 3rd round draw , whenever that is?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Solidgone said:
    The game has been picked for coverage abroad so there’s likely to be streams available tomorrow afternoon.
    I’m being really thick here but how does one who is abroad get to view the match if it’s not on bbc? 🥸

No it's a good question. Realistically there's three options...

- be in one of the broadcasting countries and sign up to the local TV channel (e.g. here in the US you'd have to pay $11 for a month of ESPN Plus, using a US bank card) - if you can find a country with a service that doesn't require paying in local currency for access, that'd be brilliant but don't expect that to be possible...

- get hold of a "special" Amazon Firestick and find the game on there about 5-10 minutes before kick off... I think there's people on this forum who can help with that but might be tight to get it sorted in time for tomorrow

- be on here / twitter close to kick off and someone will probably post a link to a website that has a stream of the game - be warned that these websites are usually quite dodgy and if you click the wrong thing (somewhat easy to do if you've never done it before) then you risk bad things happening to your computer.
  • Options
    0-2 Addicks CBT and Mbick
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I’d certainly like to see Dobbo starting what is probably going to be a tough, physical game. We absolutely cannot afford to be playing anything other than our first choice team, especially as injuries have shorn us of Leaburn, Aneke and Camara.

Although Tedic has yet to impress, maybe Appleton will give him a start, with Alfie tucked in behind. 

It would be great to be in the 3rd Round draw - a rarity in recent seasons - whilst the £67,000 prize money for beating Gillingham would also come in handy.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    AMB

Asiimwe, Hector, Ness, Edun

Watson, Dobson

Campbell, Campbell, CBT

May

Jones rested.  
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Need to watch out for their danger man Bonne, who has amassed 3 goals in 19 appearances. 
    Hopefully he'll be a passenger and not a driver of their most dangerous attacks!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Need to watch out for their danger man Bonne, who has amassed 3 goals in 19 appearances. 
    Guaranteed to score now. 
  • Options
    I know it's jumping the gun but when is the third round draw?
  • Options
    Around 1pm on Sunday ahead of Eastleigh vs Reading on ITV

Us and Gillingham are Ball.58

When is the FA Cup third round draw? (msn.com)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Around 1pm on Sunday ahead of Eastleigh vs Reading on ITV

We are Ball.58

When is the FA Cup third round draw? (msn.com)
    Fixed it for you FA...ok..👍
  • Options
    Just read that we lost to them during the premier league days (2004)! I'd completely forgotten. We had Claus Jensen in the team (from the picture) etc. I'm never over confident especially in the Cup. However I enjoy the more attacking games in the Cup and expecting a white knuckle ride (!). COYR
    AND we went 1-0 up very very early on.

Should have led to a comfortable 4-0 away win but you know Charlton Athletic in the cup against lower league sides......

That's why I'm going for a defeat tomorrow. If Bonne plays he's likely to score and seeing as Mr Tinkerman will probably play a half arsed side I'm not expecting to be meeting Spurs or Arsenal in January. 

2-1.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Guaranteed to score now. 
    If not Bonne Lapslie.
  • Options
    Really hoping for a win and a big home cup draw afterwards. Will be tough as they often beat us. Leaburn reduces the options but CBT and May should ease us through, 2-1 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Really hoping for a win and a big home cup draw afterwards. Will be tough as they often beat us. Leaburn reduces the options but CBT and May should ease us through, 2-1 to the Addicks.

Only won 7 out of the last 39...hardly often!, and will be 40 after tomorrow...👍
  • Options
    I'm expecting it to be a scrappy affair, with not much in it, except a few goals.  1-4
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Chunes said:
    Guaranteed to score now. 
    If not Bonne Lapslie.
    Or Jonny Williams...
  • Options
    A scrappy disjointed game played in challenging conditions..Charlton win ugly 
  • Options
    How about this team tomorrow we can’t risk major players now … 

Walker
    Asilmwe
    Ness
    Abankwah
    Thomas

McGrandles
    L Watson
    Fraser

CBT
    Mbick
    T Campbell 

Subs