Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD [+POST p9]: Charlton Ath v Sutton Utd: B.S.M. EFL Trophy: Tues 21st Nov 2023 | KO 19.00

So, another home cup tie, this time The Bristol Street Motors Trophy to give it it's full title, with Sutton United visiting "The Valley of Dreams", and tonight it is a must win to enable us to progress to the next round, with both sides level on 3 points each, it is in effect a knockout tie, with a penalty shootout should scores be level after 90 minutes, can't quite get some of the comments about this match being unimportant, a win is a win, and will add to the feel good within the club, so yes a must win...
Apples has promised a strong enough team to beat Sutton, and I look forward to his selection, what we don't need is another Cray Valley farce tonight, and I fully expect that not to be repeated, and we do go through..

Anyway, let's see...here we go...

Michael Appleton has made three changes for tonight’s tie against Sutton United.

Tennai Watson, Louie Watson and Tyreece Campbell come back into the starting XI following Wednesday's 6-1 Emirates FA Cup success at Cray Valley PM, with Lloyd Jones, George Dobson and Alfie May moving to the bench.

Meanwhile, U21s goalkeeper Prince Adegoke is named in a senior squad for the first time

The Addicks are expected to line-up in a 4-3-3 formation with Nathan Asiimwe, Lucas Ness, Tennai Watson and Tayo Edun starting in front of Sam Walker.

Scott Fraser, who captains the side, will operate alongside Conor McGrandles and Louie Watson in midfield, behind a front three of Tyreece Campbell, Miles Leaburn and Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Jones, Dobson, May and Adegoke are joined on the bench by Harvey Kedwell, Chem Campbell and Slobodan Tedić.

Charlton: Walker; Asiimwe, Ness, T.Watson, Edun; McGrandles, L.Watson, Fraser (c); T.Campbell, Leaburn, Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes: Adegoke, Jones, Dobson, Kedwell, C.Campbell, May, Tedić

Happy enough with that line-up, bench looks good as well...

Comments

• Options
    Strong team, except at CB. I'm assuming T Watson will play there from the order on the teamsheet?
  • Options
    Where are we in the table & what do we need to qualify for the knockout stage....(wow....makes it sound like a proper competition like the Champions League 🙄). 

• Options
    Where are we in the table & what do we need to qualify for the knockout stage....(wow....makes it sound like a proper competition like the Champions League 🙄). 

2nd & win...
  • Options
    Looking at that team, you certainly can't say Appleton isn't taking this game seriously!
  • Options
    Looking at that team, you certainly can't say Appleton isn't taking this game seriously!
    Playing two not interested & stroppy forwards in a cup competition no-one wants to be in. Yeah...I'm sure they will be going hell for leather tonight 🙄.
  • Options
    Why CBT when MA said he was suffering from a slight injury in the last two games
  • Options
    Surely Asiimwe CB not T Watson?
  • Options
    Didn't realise this was @ 7pm... Thought it was a 7:45pm KO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Why CBT when MA said he was suffering from a slight injury in the last two games
    Apples said that he had recovered and was set for tonight...so let's hope he performs
  • Options
    Aren’t these games always at 7? Can’t remember the last time we had a 7:45 in this comp.
  • Options
    Late surge in the crowd needed looks about 200 there 😂
  • Options
    London calling....no-one there by the looks of it!!
  • Options
    Late surge in the crowd needed looks about 200 there 😂
    Nah. Sutton have brought thousands -you just cant see them from this camera angle! 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Surprised at the line up. Not sure the need to risk CBT as others have said.  Was always a competition some kids got a run out in.  I guess we have Kedwell on the bench but as I said in pre match would have liked to see Bower, Casey and Adigun on there too.

Getting injuries to key first teamers in this competition would be crazy, let's hope we don't 
  • Options
    Sutton kick off, and then get told to do it again.
  • Options
    Edun tries to send it downfield but it goes out for a throw by the halfway line
  • Options
    Surprised at the line up. Not sure the need to risk CBT as others have said.  Was always a competition some kids got a run out in.  I guess we have Kedwell on the bench but as I said in pre match would have liked to see Bower, Casey and Adigun on there too.

Getting injuries to key first teamers in this competition would be crazy, let's hope we don't 
    It’s the rules 
  • Options
    Now they have a long throw level with our area, which gets launched into our box and Leaburn heads away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    GRRR buffering.
  • Options
    All Sutton in the first 5 minutes, they are pressing well

• Options
    CBT runs the ball out of play in the area, when a quick return for Fraser was the pass needed...
  • Options
    Ooh, Leaburn hits the post after a good pass from Edun, but Fraser puts the follow up over the bar.
  • Options
    Lovely move, Miles hits the post and Fraser misses the follow up
  • Options
    Game stopped for Ness to get treatment, now back. T Watson makes a good challenge on the edge of our area to get the ball back.
  • Options
    Virat Kohli looks quite lively for Sutton.
  • Options
    Good ball forward by L Watson to Campbell but then he gets muscled off the ball.
  • Options
    Ball in the net, but Fraser just offside...
  • Options
    Nice work between Asiimwe and Campbell, gets the ball to Fraser who puts it inot the goal, but the whistle's already gone cos he's offside.