Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 11th November 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off

Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 11th November 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Allison

Introduction
Well I guess in some regard, that Charlton will be going into this next game, with hopefully something to prove - Our last fixture will no doubt go down as the worst result in the clubs history... Thankfully we're heading to a venue, where for once we appear to be the bogey team, it never feels right.

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth (1st) | Manager: John Mousinho
Ground: Fratton Park
Last Time Out: Chesterfield 1-0 Portsmouth

Charlton after all making their way to the South Coast this weekend, and a location that has been a happy hunting ground of late - After all Fratton Park has almost felt like a second home in recent years, you have to go back to 2005 to when Pompey got anything against us at their own Ground... The Addicks having won the last seven encounters.

This could be the year where Portsmouth change all that, they've started the season strongly, and have only just lost their first game of the season, their own embarrassing FA Cup result coming at Chesterfield last weekend, and that with the majority of their first team - In terms of the League, Pompey have picked up home wins over Barnsley and Peterborough, whilst they drew at Derby County and Stevenage, so have mixed results so far against top six opponents.

In terms of individuals and Colby Bishop is the stand out in terms of a goal threat, he has nine League goals in 15-appearances this season, so is the obvious name to watch out for - Pompey too suffered injuries last weekend, so this is potentially the best time to face them - Either way, will this finally be the season Portsmouth return to the Championship, or is it a case of being patient and waiting for their yearly implosion?

Charlton Team News
The worst aspect of the performance against Cray Valley wasn't the result per say... Instead it was the individual performances that were disappointing - With so many changes, it was a chance for many to stake their place amongst the starting eleven in the League, however no one really stood out.

You'd expect as a result to see a repeat of the team that picked up three points at Wigan, last time out.

If anything, we've learnt the answer as to why "X" isn't involved when "Y" is playing so poorly.

Maynard-Brewer
Asiimwe - Hector - Jones - T.Watson
Dobson - L.Watson
May
T.Campbell - Leaburn - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Ness - Edun - McGrandles - Fraser - C.Campbell - Tedic

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I think our poor away form will come into it as well.

If Portsmouth don't even get a draw against us, then I really don't expect them to finish top two

Very much a "Don't lose" game, if we can get away with it.

Blackett-Taylor on the other hand, has absolutely terrorised them in previous games
  • Options
    Good preview as usual FA
    Going for a close game, but at the same time extending their misery with CAFC after another victory, with a 1-2 scoreline...or am I being too over optimistic...Nah we will win.
  • Options
    For those driving on Saturday.
    Be aware there are long term roadworks at junction 10 (M25/A3) and can cause quite long delays.
    Also Wisley interchange (junc 10) has the highest recorded collision rate across Highways England network.  :(
  • Options
    Law of averages, we will lose this one. Hope not. Really hope not. Why don't the law of averages apply when we play Millwall?? Take a draw all day long for this one. 
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks last weeks cup matches for both clubs has any influence on tomorrows game needs to have a lay down .. .. this is a tough game no matter when we play them but like Bolton and MK Dons with the valley .. we seen to live Fratton Park and considering over the years it different players it quite incredible the record we got .. interesting their manager  taking about it then playing it down strange .. 

Pompey have to be favs but as long as we defend as a team and that’s what going to win or lose this game I think we can come away with a point . 

• Options
    They've only conceded 10 goals in 15 games. Gonna be a tough one.
  • Options
    Be aware there are long term roadworks at junction 10 (M25/A3) and can cause quite long delays.
    Also Wisley interchange (junc 10) has the highest recorded collision rate across Highways England network.  :(
    Should be okay going south. Coming back expect a hold up outside Wisley.
  • Options
    We will win this then embarrass ourselves on Wednesday against Cray Valley live on TV 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Charlton’s last 15 league visits to Fratton Park

W: 11
    Draws: 1
    L: 3
    GF: 25
    GA: 15

10 of those wins have come in the last 11 visits
  • Options
    Recent form suggest that we will get rinsed 3-0. Previous years count for nothing, sadly. 
    I hope I am wrong as I will be there
  • Options
    I like your team FA, but would expect Edun to start at LB
  • Options
    A must win
  • Options
    2-2 draw. Blackett Taylor, Watson and Campbell will create enough but anytime Pompey feel like scoring it will happen. I wouldn't put it past us to win but we only have 3 decent defenders.
  • Options
    The way Pompey are playing this season, we will have to lead by at least four goals and then we may get a draw 🥴
  • Options
    I think Appleton may revert to bringing on Asiimwe and T Campbell as second half impact subs, so I think T Watson at RB and Tedic RW again. Thomas or Edun at LB.

I think our good record at Fratton Park will continue, but that we will draw this 1-1. If CBT has one of his good days I can even see us sneaking a win, and this will be the start of the great Pompey implosion! 
  • Options
    Can't wait to get to this game. Proper football ground and hopefully a great day out. Also juniors first visit to the den of the South Coast. COYRs
  • Options
    We'll come out the blocks lively and up for it and May will get a goal inside the first 20 minutes.  We'll ease off and they'll (sadly) dominate and win 2-1, even though I've got a bet on for us to win 2-1!
  • Options
    Portsmouth win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Finally going to make an away game 
    Hopefully we can get a result not going to be easy 
    But possible 
    Going for a good 
    2-1 win for the mighty CAFC COYR
     B) 
  • Options
    Should be okay going south. Coming back expect a hold up outside Wisley.
    Not when I'm coming up for a home game.
    Always a massive queue on the M25 at the junction.
  • Options
    6-0 Pompey

May to get a season ending injury and there's major traffic delays on the way home. 

You are a barrel of laughs mate.. 
  • Options
    2-2.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    It is a really important game for us. If we lose it won't be the end of the season, but if we win we will be making a serious push despite a couple of recent defeats. The problem Appleton has for me is that he has to really go for teams and can't respect them as we can't hold out under pressure. He will have this problem until January so he needs to go for it, which I think he knows too well.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In order to achieve the points needed for automatic promotion this is a must win.
    Please stop with the tiresome must win posts each week. We are not gonna get automatic promotion in a million years anyway 
  • Options
    Meeting a couple of mates who are Pompey season ticket holders before the game, so it should be a cracking day out. I'd be well pleased with a point but I fear our defensive frailty will prove our undoing against an in-form side who are also dangerous at set-plays.

We're look a little light in midfield for a difficult away game and over reliant on Dobbo to plug the gaps. I wonder if Appleton might go for a third central midfielder and use Tyreece from the bench, although with Camara and Taylor out and Fraser not known for his defensive contribution and energy levels, I suppose the manager's only real options are Karoy Anderson and Conor McGrandles.