Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Reading | Saturday 21st October 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• I feel sorry for their fans and such, but our attitude towards them should be like the attitude Ipswich had towards us at Portman Road the last two seasons.
  • Not so confident of a big win. I am going 1-0 or 2-1. 
  • edited October 2023
    seth plum said:
    I feel sorry for their fans and such, but our attitude towards them should be like the attitude Ipswich had towards us at Portman Road the last two seasons.
    Get into em, F em up?

We should approach this like we should every game. A level playing field where we need to go about our business as though our opponent is top end of the table and we need to be at our best.

No more being complacent about our opponents. I think Appleton would be approaching games in this way. 
  • Same team and formation as the preview, continue with the 4231/442 with May in the 10/ supporting striker role. Its working well and enables us to get our best players in their natural positions and roles. 

2-0 

• Thank you for the preview. 
    I am unusually optimistic about this one. 
    3-0 win for us. Chucks runs riot. 
  • Probably end up with a right old struggle,2-1.
  • clive said:
    I was in the anti-appleton brigade but week by week he continues to impress me, finally someone at the helm who steadys the ship.
  • pettgra said:
    There was an article in the Independent yesterday re Readings woes. The owner wants approx £75m for the club with no credible offers. If they go behind I expect their fans to make their feelings known. 
    Yes I read that too but I think it was in the I. We should have a bit of sympathy for their fans given the shocking mismanagement of their club since the departure of Sir John Madejski in 2012.  Reading fans are planning a big protest in the town next Saturday before their home game and I wish them well with it.

Having said all that, I hope we beat them of course and stop conceding two or more goals at home.

2-1

May and Chuks

• Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

what is this shitty math?
    We haven't played them 66-times is the problem 
  • I can see them parking the bus and looking for mistakes/loose passes (which we are always capable of). And a bit concerned about knibbs and a returning Sam Smith.
  • sam3110 said:

what is this shitty math?
    You never heard of the ‘Three Rs’, Reading, Riting and Rithmatic ?
  • It should be a comfortable home win, but probably won't be! However, I still think we should have enough to beat Reading, so predicting a 3-1 home win.

The starting line up is starting to pick itself (which is good). However, I would rather see Nathan Asiimwe starting than T Watson (who only seems marginally better than Sean Clare), and perhaps Fraser starting in place of Louie Watson (even though he has been excellent). It is great having options from the bench, something we have been lacking for a long time.
  • pettgra said:
    There was an article in the Independent yesterday re Readings woes. The owner wants approx £75m for the club with no credible offers. If they go behind I expect their fans to make their feelings known. 
    Yes I read that too but I think it was in the I. We should have a bit of sympathy for their fans given the shocking mismanagement of their club since the departure of Sir John Madejski in 2012.  Reading fans are planning a big protest in the town next Saturday before their home game and I wish them well with it.

Having said all that, I hope we beat them of course and stop conceding two or more goals at home.

2-1

May and Chuks

Ah yes it was the “I”. Getting sick of all these chancers in football. 
  • My earliest memory of playing Reading is on a warm and sunny autumn day (around this time of the season) early 90s.... Mark Robson scoring a bullet header from a corner as the smallest man on the pitch.
  • My earliest memory of playing Reading is on a warm and sunny autumn day (around this time of the season) early 90s.... Mark Robson scoring a bullet header from a corner as the smallest man on the pitch.
    probably not my earliest but a big memory of reading in the 90's was Trevor Morley getting dogs abuse for, well, you know
  • seth plum said:
    I feel sorry for their fans and such, but our attitude towards them should be like the attitude Ipswich had towards us at Portman Road the last two seasons.
    Seem to recall that at one of the more recent matches we played them at the Majeski, their "faithful" bombarded us with gleeful chants about our so called demise since the Prem days. 
  • Solidgone said:
    Reading lost 5 aways on the spin…I’m sure we will stop that run. Merry Christmas Reading 🎅🏿
    Sorry I was being lazy but just checked. 2:45hr. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    Reading lost 5 aways on the spin…I’m sure we will stop that run. Merry Christmas Reading 🎅🏿
    According to the records that I am looking at the last 9 nine league away games have all ended in defeat.. 
    Have to go back to 1st April 2023 Bristol City away for last away point, and November 2022 for last away league victory against Hull City.
  • It said that we had met 66 times they have won 17 we have won 15 and 11 draws, so does that mean there have been 23 abandoned  matches then.

or are they just poor t maths.
  • Throw pigs on the pitch 20 times and taxi’s 3 times.
  • Charlton go behind ( as usual ) before CBT and Chuks score to clinch the 3 points.
  • Nice to see a lot of positivity as usual from some on here  :/

Got to fancy us at home at the moment, going for a 3-1 win!

COYR!!!!
  • edited October 2023
    If Reading don't beat us or Shrews they will not have won away for a whole year!
  • Reading a really poor team away from home and we are strong going forward.

If we start strong I think we’ll prove to be too much for them.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Ness in the team and Camara in the squad. However, if Jones is fit, Ness will be on the bench.

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Reading
    May
    Aneke
    Tedic

• Away table so far this season, and with us being the league top scorers at home, it should be a comfortable win. Will go for 3-1 as  can’t see us keeping a clean sheet. 
  • Any danger of  waterlogged pitch?
    Think I'm being influenced by living somewhere that had constant rain all day today 
  • Reading are there for the taking. 6 consecutive away defeats going to the top home scorers in the division. 

5-1. CBT x2, May x2 & Aneke.

Think we will have too much attacking talent for a side who will be fighting relegation come end of the season.