Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Reading | Saturday 21st October 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Reading
Saturday 21st October 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Scott Oldham

Introduction
If it feels like an age since the Addicks last played... Well in some ways it is... If you put aside the clash against Aston Villa U21s, then it'll have been two weeks since our last competitive encounter - To be honest, not much has really happened in SE7 since the dramatic 2-2 draw with Blackpool last time out... Alfie May spilt some coffee, and some noisy neighbours from SE9 well they've... got a bit noisy... However that is a story for another day.

The Opposition
Name: Reading (22nd) | Manager: Rubén Sellés
Ground: Madejski Stadium
Previous League Result: Leyton Orient 3-1 Reading.

Flying across London on the Elizabeth Line, the next train is from... Reading

Where to begin... Honestly where to begin... Its rumoured that when Reading received their first points deduction, it was Wigan the EFL called out of habit first - Sadly those are two clubs who have been allowed to fall latest foul of bad ownership, and its the former who are first up before the end of October - Players haven't been fully paid, credible offers of interest for the club will be listened to... Just another story in the lower reaches of modern Football.

So its understandably been a difficult start to life back in League One for Reading, with a four point deduction and numerous transfer embargos - Its their first time at this level since 2001-02, the days of their Championship season from 2005-06, and a record points haul, nothing but a distant memory - The Royals haven't done too badly though despite their troubles off the field, three wins and a draw to date, but fives defeats out of five on the road... Well it may be a sorry situation. but its one the Addicks sadly have to take full advantage of... After all Football isn't a charity, although you'd be confused into thinking so, when watching our own defensive displays at times.

Charlton Team News
Two weeks for many to recover should see a bit of a selection headache for Michael Appleton this coming Saturday.

Scott Fraser has continued to put in the minutes since making a return from injury, yet does he really warrant a place in the starting line-up - Both Chuks Aneke and Miles Leaburn appear to be impressing more from the bench, but Alfie May needs a partner up front, so who goes alongside our top scorer this Saturday, well it remains to be seen.

On the injury front, and Pat Camara looks as though he is now back in the fold, you'd expect him to be eased back into contention though, and will be a surprise if he's anywhere near the bench for this upcoming game.

Maynard-Brewer
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Thomas
Dobson - L.Watson
May
T.Campbell - Leaburn - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Ness - Asiimwe - Fraser - Aneke - Tedic - C.Campbell

Comments

• What good players do Reading have fit and available?
  • A must win.
  • 3-1 May x2 and CBT
  • edited October 2023
    Leuth said:
    What good players do Reading have fit and available?

The names I recognise in their starting XI from the last league game are David Button in goal, Harlee Dean at centre back, Lewis Wing, Charlie Savage (son of Robbie) and Harvey Knibbs in midfield.

They otherwise seem to have an incredibly young squad that I can only assume is struggling to cope with the physicality of the league. Even Savage Jr himself is only 20. Other senior players like Sam Smith or Sam Hutchinson have been out injured.

I expect us to win and will be really disappointed if we don't.
  • For me, Asiimwe, Fraser, T Campbell and Aneke all start after impressing off the bench last game. I think if we start strong, this game is ours for the taking.

I expect Camara to be on the bench. But god knows who for.

Next two games should be six points against two out of form teams. They should all be fresh. Think it’s time to see if we’re any good.
  • 3 birthday points for FA
  • Let's face it, the break will scupper us.  0-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Who did May split the coffee with?
  • Form says 3 points but we never seem to come back from these breaks with any form plus we usually gift teams that are struggling the point’s unfortunately 
  • Asiimwe to start I hope. T Watson to be backup or play LB if we want more intent than TT on the left.
  • We should use my patented FM formation for this one

Maynard-Brewer
    Hector Jones Thomas
    Watson Dobson Fraser
    T.Campbell May Leaburn Blackett-Taylor 
  • edited October 2023
    This game puts us in a weird position with home/away split after Saturday. We'll have played 8 home games and only 4 away. It would've been 8/6 without the Wigan and Derby postponements.

It doesn't look like evening out in the near future either. Assuming one more postponement for internationals on Nov 18 (Northampton at home), by Xmas we'll have played 12 home games and 9 away games.
  • agree with the team in the preview, Aneke must be an impact sub

3-1 win
  • Reading are dreadful. We could play our U18's and beat them. With our first team we will stroll to a 7-0 home win.  Happy days.  May and Leaburn hatricks and a goal from Thomas from a corner to seal it.
    Going to be a 0-1 loss then.
  • Can't have T. Campbell playing the 10 role again, he has to be out wide.  May's done well behind the striker but I'd rather see 4-4-2 with Miles/Chucks up front with May than 4-2-1-3 as per the OP's formation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Come 5pm Saturday Charlton could sit as high as 9th position or as low as 19th.
    Likelihood with 4 of the teams below us playing away and Shrewsbury taking on Derby at home we will be closer to 9 th than 19th.
    I said before Exeter game that with 3 consecutive home games we would be happy with 7points fingers crossed we are on track.
    My main concern is we still sit in a false position with after Reading game we will have played 8 at home and only 4 away. 
    One thing is for certain we will have to play better than we did against Blackpol.
    Prediction 2-0

• There was an article in the Independent yesterday re Readings woes. The owner wants approx £75m for the club with no credible offers. If they go behind I expect their fans to make their feelings known. 
  • I feel for the Reading fans but not enough to not be hoping we batter their team tomorrow. A very comfortable 4-1 win - up the football league we go…
  • £75m seems a ridiculous amount to want for Reading in its current state. 
  • £75m seems a ridiculous amount to want for Reading in its current state. 
    i'd imagine you do get a ground and training ground included though
  • Reading have lost 6 out of 6 away games so far this season, scoring 4 and conceding 13.

Charlton have the 5th best home points total with 13 points from 7 games, scoring 15 and conceding 10.
    I've been supporting Charlton long enough to fully expect an away win!
  • I think the team pretty much picks itself at the moment, but there might be a bit of rotation for Saturday/Tuesday, I’m expecting Watson/Asiimwe and Aneke/Leaburn to start one game each 
  • Charlie Savage absolutely ran the show away at FGR after he came on last season. Hopefully his influence can be kept to a minimum...
  • Must be difficult for players to play for a club in turmoil.
    Yes they are professionals, but they will pick up on the negative and restless vibe of the fans.
    For us, the green shoots of recovery are apparent under Appleton, but we are not (yet) a well oiled machine.
    A strong start and early goal will test Reading's resilience and we may see how brittle they are.
    But we are difficult to predict imo.
    Heart says comfortable home win, head says narrow win or score draw.
  • Reading have lost 6 out of 6 away games so far this season, scoring 4 and conceding 13.

Charlton have the 5th best home points total with 13 points from 7 games, scoring 15 and conceding 10.
    I've been supporting Charlton long enough to fully expect an away win!
    I have that feeling too. Hope not obviously