Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Exeter City | Tuesday 3rd October 2023 | Match Preview, News & Views

edited October 2023 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Exeter City
Tuesday 3rd October 2023 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
David Rock - previously officiated Charlton in our 3-2 home loss to Morecambe at the end of last season. Mr Rock has also been involved in the most goals in games when being the man in the middle this season. He was the referee for Barnsley's opening day 7-0 win against Port Vale, and again the referee in the latest 5-4 score line in League Two at the weekend between Colchester and Notts County.  

Introduction
Life under Appleton has started unbeaten, but that doesn't tell the whole story. A draw away from home and a clean sheet in normal circumstances is a good point, but against a Shrewsbury side who had lost 5 of their last 6 leading up to the game at the weekend, and a side who has only scored 4 in the league all season, it's a game we ought to be winning if we want to be pushing for top 6. The first half display was unacceptable whilst we showed fight and created some decent chances in the second half. Up next is a return back home (win your home games!) against a side who started brightly but have since dropped off a bit, a long journey up to the capital awaits for Exeter City.

Opposition
Stadium: St James' Park
Manager: Gary Caldwell (win %: 36.2)
Previous result: 0-2 loss at home to Northampton. Their line up was:

Sinisalo
Harper - Sweeney - Aimson - Hartridge - Jules
Cole - Carroll - Taylor
Wildschut - Cox 

Caldwell is approaching a year in charge of the Grecians, and that's no mean feat in modern day football. A win percentage of 36.2% would often mean you finish bottom half, not quite in a relegation scrap but not pushing for much more either. I think that's probably the position most had Exeter down for this season. A bright start though has left them sitting outside the play-off places at this early stage, allowing them to have something to hold and build on. Not bad for a team who lost several key players over the summer, namely Nombe, Brown, Stansfield, Key, and Collins. That's 50 goals in all competitions taken from their side. 

Exeter seemed to be playing most of September with a total of 7 games in all competitions, including a win against Luton Town to progress into the next round of the EFL Cup. The progression though may have influenced their league form with just 1 win from their last 4, and that was at home to rock bottom, goalless, Cheltenham Town. They have also played 6 of the bottom 9 and that will be 7 of the bottom 10 by 19:45 tomorrow evening. Managing to pick up results against teams who are not doing particularly well is hard to tell where they are as a team, and what that actually means for Exeter this season. In contrast, we have played 3 of the bottom 9 and picked up 7 of our 11 points. The Grecians have also not drawn for 8 games, and only scored 7 since their opening day win at Wycombe. Missing those key players from last season could be a tale of their season to come.

Charlton Team News
Something I rarely look at, but I think with the way we've been playing and struggling with set-pieces for so long, I think it might be worth a quick analysis... Charlton's xG (expected goals) for have us sitting 5th in the league, whereas our expected goals against have us sitting 7th from bottom. Now, this is slightly skewed as we have had more penalties so far this season than all of last, and xG goes up with penalties. To me, it screams of a side who struggle to keep hold of the ball in dangerous areas, struggle to progress through the pitch, and is easy to exploit their weaknesses. At home, our xG for increases to 1.68, showing we definitely create more at home than we do away, but our defence remains consistently poor throughout. An xG against at home of 1.31 puts us 6th worst in the league, we must tighten up at the back if we are to improve, just like last season.

What hasn't helped us is a lack of support for Alfie May throughout his time so far at the club, and now with another change of system, he's either being asked to do a job on his own, or play in a position that doesn't really suit his strengths either. Without Fraser, Camara, Anderson, both Campbells (either through fitness or form), we heavily rely on Blackett-Taylor. On his day, he's one of the best players in the league, but asking for consistency of that level has been the problem. If he was more consistent, he wouldn't be in League One in the first place.

We all know the difference Aneke makes to the side but it's difficult to explain. It's frustrating how we automatically look a better and stronger team, we play in dangerous areas, we create chances, we get players running forward, and if needed, we have the ability to go long. Getting him on the pitch for long enough has always been the issue, and I am hoping with a Head Coach now so focused on ensuring we are fit, he might start to put some of his issues behind him.

Personally, I wouldn't start Leaburn as other than his opening goal against Wycombe, I haven't seen him do anything to say he should be playing right now. He's not a winger, not fair to ask him to be, and he's not influencing the game enough. Tedic has done well when coming on and I would like to see him in a more central role supporting May. Get a winger out wide and don't play square pegs in round holes. Against a team who play 5 at the back, like Exeter do, if May is isolated up front on his own, it's going to be long and frustrating evening.

I've gone for two changes to the team which started on Saturday. L.Watson and Tedic coming in for Taylor and Leaburn.

Isted
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Thomas
L.Watson - Dobson
T.Campbell - Tedic - Blackett-Taylor
May

Maynard-Brewer, Asiimwe, Ness, Anderson, Fraser, Leaburn, Aneke

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Exeter City
May
Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Is the wolves player Campbell injured or out of favour 
  • Options
    Lovely preview Sage, I'd like to see us start Aneke tbf and try and get a goal early, bring on Leaburn against tired legs. 

Looking forward to seeing Fraser and Dobson starting the midfield together again. 
  • Options
    I think the other Campbell will be involved
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Appleton didn't select him, but I'd expect him to be back in the squad tomorrow.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Seems out of favour since Appleton came in. Was taken off against Stevenage, didn't come on against Wycombe, and didn't make the squad against Shrewsbury. Would like to see him back as think he adds something different, and takes a bit of pressure off Blackett-Taylor, but he might not be doing enough in training (competitively) to get in the squad, who knows?
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Demetri Mitchell was suspended for Exeter last time out, but has been their best player this season and will be back in their 11

I agree with the 3 at the back set up, though I would keep Leaburn in as he hasn’t really had the chance to play through the middle. 

Tedic was better from the bench for Barnsley so I just think he’s that kind of player and it is easier to look good when you come on against tired defences. I still think Leaburn is the better player and should be starting whenever he is able too
  • Options
    Great preview. 

2-0 Charlton. Back-to-back clean sheets would be a bonus. 

Think it will be just the 1 change for Watson to replace Taylor. Reckon we will continue with Leaburn out of the winger as long as we keep picking up points.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to see T Campbell play out on the right side where I think he would find more room to operate. 
    Leaburn or Tedic to play close to May rather than leave him isolated. 

Leaburn out wide with Campbell playing more central doesn't do it for me.
  • Options
    I would like to see T Campbell play out on the right side where I think he would find more room to operate. 
    Leaburn or Tedic to play close to May rather than leave him isolated. 

Leaburn out wide with Campbell playing more central doesn't do it for me.
    Should defo be playing as a 424 in attack and 433 on the backfoot. 
  • Options
    Good Preview Sage..
    Should be a good game, and a must win, as per...
    Would like to see Tedic start, be nice to see what 90 minutes produces, his very short cameos have been good, and feel we are not getting the best out of him coming on for 20 minutes here and there...going for a 2-0, but long as we win...
  • Options
    0-9
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Very nice preview and I wish I could claim we look significantly better under Apples but the truth is we still look like a soft touch.

Marginally better in defence thanks to Jones, slightly worse elsewhere and still playing most of matches in our own half. 

CBT, T Campbell and Leaburn offered next to nothing defensively last game and even less in the attacking third. All three need a rest in my view. 

1-1
  • Options
    Very nice preview and I wish I could claim we look significantly better under Apples but the truth is we still look like a soft touch.

Marginally better in defence thanks to Jones, slightly worse elsewhere and still playing most of matches in our own half. 

CBT, T Campbell and Leaburn offered next to nothing defensively last game and even less in the attacking third. All three need a rest in my view. 

1-1
    Heartily agree grumps, you cannot polish a turd n all...
  • Options
    We seemed to lose all attacking initiative when it was picked up by T Thomas on Saturday, followed by lots of sideways passing and no one running into spaces. We really need to avoid this. As Sage said A back 3 might be the answer.
  • Options
    Straight forward home win against a weak, small team. 3-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Crass statement needed deleting...🤔😉
  • Options
    4 points minimum from these two home games Micky Apples, 3-2.
  • Options
    A big man up top with May - not that fussed about the rest but think the wolves fella deserves to feature - thought he was quite promising 
  • Options
    Last time out Isted saved our skins with his last minute save. He was our MOM yet I'd have preferred AMB! Until we get a settled team that links well anything can happen. If CBT is on fire we will win. If not, we will probably struggle. Mind you, as Sage says Aneke can always turn things around. Hope it doesn't rain and that the ref doesn't add on ridiculous extra time as I have a train to catch.
  • Options
    Someone said on Sat that only 2 of Chuks’ 21 goals for us have come in the first half. Anyone know if that’s right? Given the injuries, lack of starts and super sub appearances etc it does sound plausible, but I couldn’t quite believe it was only 2.
  • Options
    I'd like Kanu to get  another chance, maybe a few minutes at the end of the next 2 games. Why give chances to loan players when we have our own talent to develop? apparently he got a hat-trick today and he's our 2nd top scorer for this season
  • Options
    S*** atmosphere, cold, 7k Charlton, 200 pasty eaters.
    Away win written all over it.
  • Options
    It's very mild & a "heatwave" is arriving for the weekend. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It's very mild & a "heatwave" is arriving for the weekend. 
    Home win written all over it...🤔
  • Options
    I have a funny feeling Asiimwe may start at right back tomorrow as there must be doubt whether Watson can play 3 games in a week at the moment.