Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 30th September 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Shrewsbury Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 30th September 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ed Duckworth

Introduction
Michael Appleton has enjoyed a pretty positive start to his tenure as Charlton Manager thus far... Four points from a possible six, well in all honesty you probably couldn't ask for much more. The League table may still look grim reading, with the Addicks in 16th, but we're still days away from October, and this feels a League One campaign that'll have no run away teams... Brace yourself for a slog of a Marathon season, rather than a desperate sprint.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (17th) | Manager: Matt Taylor
Ground: The New Meadow
Previous League Result: Leyton Orient 1-0 Shrewsbury

Next up on our travels is a trip to Shropshire.

Suppose its never ideal when a Manager like Dean Holden gets sacked so early into a League campaign, equally I'm sure replacing your Manager in June isn't much better either - Well that's what happened with Shrewsbury; Steve Cotterill left on 6th June, with ex-West Ham Midfielder: Matt Taylor confirmed as his replacement almost a month later, this his second Managerial job having previously taken charge at Walsall... a job that lasted less than a year, ending in February 2022.

Shrewsbury's start, almost like Charlton's has been very black and white, they sit a point behind the Addicks and either win... or lose... Their last three fixtures have ended in defeat, with the last of those being a 1-0 loss at newly promoted Leyton Orient - Scoring goals, as well as conceding them appear to be Salop's issue this season... They've found the net on just four occasions (all coming in August), whilst their defence is only slightly better than ours, having conceded just nine, compared with our eleven.

Charlton will be hoping a repeat of last seasons 6-0 win at the Valley, which'll truly kick start our season

Charlton Team News
Dean Holden will no doubt be looking at our current squad options with a rueful expression on his face - It appears as though our injury problems are easing (for the time being), with Michael Appleton getting to the point of having a selection headache... Tennai Watson came off the bench to make his Charlton debut against Wycombe, and showed how much we need at least one proper Right-Back, so could well start tomorrow's clash.

It means that James Abankwah will either have to settle for a place on the bench, or we could see him move across playing in his more natural role - Elsewhere and Terry Taylor now becomes available once more, having recovered from a concussion that he received at Stevenage, whilst Scott Fraser continues to inch towards a return... If he is available, it'll be a difficult job to find a place in the matchday squad for him at present.

Isted
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Thomas
T.Campbell - Dobson - L.Watson
Leaburn - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Abankwah - Ness - Fraser - C.Campbell - Aneke - Tedic

Comments

• For no rational reason I think this will be a good one.

4 - 0 to Charlton and even a defender scores.
  • I'm going narrow win because Shrewsbury over the years has been a mixed bag from memory. 

So we win by a single goal and get a clean sheet with Isted actually diving a couple of times. 
  • I had a dream last night that we won 1-0 with a second half goal at their end, stabbed in low by Hector from five feet following a badly dealt with corner.
  • edited September 2023
    Shrewsbury have played four league home matches this season.

Winning the opening two against Cheltenham & Burton and losing the following two against Lincoln (0-1 & Bristol Rovers (0-2).
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you for the preview. 
    I was very pessimistic last week, only to be pleasantly surprised with (some) watchable footy. 
    Interesting to see MA say that we need to “take more risks” - I’ve been saying that for 2 seasons. 

This is a winnable game and I think we will nick it
    1-2. 
  • Need to win this really. Get some momentum going 
  • 3-0 May getting a brace marred by both him and Dobson getting a fifth yellow apiece
  • 0-2, goals coming in either half, hopefully the start of some tighter defensive performances going forward 😊
  • Feels like a big game. Stating the obvious klaxon, but a win would be absolutely lovely, and set us up for two winnable home games. 

0-2 May and Blackett Taylor 
  • Can see us winning this quite comfortably. 
    Then with two winnable home matches coming up next this really is an opportunity to kick start our season. 
    Please don't cock it up Charlton. 
  • edited September 2023
    I feel like this is a bigger test than the Wycombe game in some ways, because we need to be winning games like these if we want to push on. In past seasons we've had groups of matches against poorer teams, where picking up a good amount of points would have propelled us up the table, and we've failed. We have to start winning them. 
  • Can see us winning this quite comfortably. 
    Then with two winnable home matches coming up next this really is an opportunity to kick start our season. 
    Please don't cock it up Charlton. 
    Hopefully comfortably enough to sub Dobson  and May before they get yellow cards 
  • Hard slog - 1 - 1
  • I agree with most, that we should have too much for the Shrews. Great to have strong options from the bench too. I am predicting a 2-0 win.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Appleton Express carries on its merry way - all stops to PlayOffVille. 

Easy 3-1 away victory. 
  • My birthday on Saturday so hoping for a clean sheet. 

• we're improving they are nosediving, @ForeverAddickted supplied the stats, they have yet to draw and I don't want that stat to change tomorrow .. away win
  • Team news
    Appleton confirmed Terry Taylor (concussion) is set to be available for selection this weekend, while Nathan Asiimwe (quad), Tayo Edun (hamstring), Conor McGrandles (knee), Panutche Camará (foot) and Scott Fraser (calf) will all be assessed.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-shrewsbury-town-v-charlton-0
  • Chunes said:
    I feel like this is a bigger test than the Wycombe game in some ways, because we need to be winning games like these if we want to push on. In past seasons we've had groups of matches against poorer teams, where picking up a good amount of points would have propelled us up the table, and we've failed. We have to start winning them. 
    Totally agree, this really is the sort of fame we haven't won in the last few years.

7 or 9 points from the next 3 games will take us to Derby right on the cusp of a playoff place.  Knowing us we will get 3 or 4 and then beat Derby.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Totally agree, this really is the sort of fame we haven't won in the last few years.

7 or 9 points from the next 3 games will take us to Derby right on the cusp of a playoff place.  Knowing us we will get 3 or 4 and then beat Derby.
    Derby will be moved, but getting 7 points and staying unbeaten until that international break should be the target and will put us in a decent position 
  • Probably a game where playing centre backs as full backs is less of a problem as they don't seem to pose much of a threat in terms of width and it does give us potentially more potency in relation to set pieces.
  • Confident for a change. 2 games ago I'd have been happy with a draw but we can and should win this to continue the form. 

2-1 Charlton (Leaburn & Watson)