Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time to bring back "Addicks to Victory"

124»

Comments

• edited September 2023
    A2V for me - cannot stand RRR.
    I'm 75, almost, so have heard the rubbish more than most.
    Unbelievable comment 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I love the RRR song, but it’s worth remembering that at the time it was first introduced it was a fashionable song with a contemporary sound. Not sure whose idea it was to first play it (and I imagine it must have sounded quite ropy back in the day through the PA system of that time) but would the crowd have joined in singing it? Pretty sure they would. It wouldn’t have been designed to be intimidating to the other team, or even to rouse the Charlton team into a frenzy (!), it was presumably more of a community spirit sing-song thing, designed to lift the spirits. 
    Now it’s more of an exercise in nostalgia, not for the 1930s (or 50s?) of course, but more because long term fans will remember it being played when they first started visiting The Valley. 
    Nothing wrong with that imho, and I’d be more than happy if more fans wanted to sing along with it. But there is a clash when the Covered End Choir sing over it, which is a bit jarring, both for those singing along with the CEC, and those who like the RRR. It’s like they both negate each other, which is a shame. I get that the CEC are trying (and succeeding) to ramp up the pre match atmosphere. 
    Quite ropy is right James.  I remember RRR well from the 1950s played I imagine on a wind up gramophone and a very jaded record hissing and cracking its way around the turntable at 78 rpm.  But it’s a sound I enjoyed, adding to the drama of seeing our heroes taking the pitch and Sam throwing his cap into the back of the net.
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    I love the RRR song, but it’s worth remembering that at the time it was first introduced it was a fashionable song with a contemporary sound. Not sure whose idea it was to first play it (and I imagine it must have sounded quite ropy back in the day through the PA system of that time) but would the crowd have joined in singing it? Pretty sure they would. It wouldn’t have been designed to be intimidating to the other team, or even to rouse the Charlton team into a frenzy (!), it was presumably more of a community spirit sing-song thing, designed to lift the spirits. 
    Now it’s more of an exercise in nostalgia, not for the 1930s (or 50s?) of course, but more because long term fans will remember it being played when they first started visiting The Valley. 
    Nothing wrong with that imho, and I’d be more than happy if more fans wanted to sing along with it. But there is a clash when the Covered End Choir sing over it, which is a bit jarring, both for those singing along with the CEC, and those who like the RRR. It’s like they both negate each other, which is a shame. I get that the CEC are trying (and succeeding) to ramp up the pre match atmosphere. 
    Quite ropy is right James.  I remember RRR well from the 1950s played I imagine on a wind up gramophone and a very jaded record hissing and cracking its way around the turntable at 78 rpm.  But it’s a sound I enjoyed, adding to the drama of seeing our heroes taking the pitch and Sam throwing his cap into the back of the net.
    You're one of the few on CL who attended during the JS/Bartram era.
    How many others are there I wonder?

PS Not a wind up, but things had moved on by the 1950s, record player wise. 😊
  • Im on the bring it back wagon :)
  • Firstly, our original badge had a Robin on it, and ‘The Robins’ was our nickname (adopted 1931 per CAFC Museum), hence the Red Red Robin (a superb song) and I sing along to it when the team comes out, as do my mate and his son who I sit with

Second TS song - which I refuse to name - is utter garbage - it’s shit 
    I have learnt something here. I've been going since 66 (on and off) and I never knew that. When did the sword replace the Robin? so that's been dropped along time ago. And we're still playing the same song.

I'm not against _red Robin for those still alive and going to the Valley from 1931. More FOR playing songs that mention our team in a more direct fashion ( and without reference to ancient history books) when they are well sung , played in their own genre and have Charlton references. Doesn't deserve to be totally dropped.
    Close the thread , here is the winner .

Agreed-i'd forgotten this- 

I also forgot to mention Chas and Dave Tottenham song which is a cracker - I sometimes find myself singing this uplifting song when the ear worm invades

1964 after some sort of vote or consultation with fans. 

I've always preferred Valiants  to Addicks personally. 
  • TEL said:
    Firstly, our original badge had a Robin on it, and ‘The Robins’ was our nickname (adopted 1931 per CAFC Museum), hence the Red Red Robin (a superb song) and I sing along to it when the team comes out, as do my mate and his son who I sit with

I have learnt something here. I've been going since 66 (on and off) and I never knew that. When did the sword replace the Robin? so that's been dropped along time ago. And we're still playing the same song.

I'm not against _red Robin for those still alive and going to the Valley from 1931. More FOR playing songs that mention our team in a more direct fashion ( and without reference to ancient history books) when they are well sung , played in their own genre and have Charlton references. Doesn't deserve to be totally dropped.

I also forgot to mention Chas and Dave Tottenham song which is a cracker - I sometimes find myself singing this uplifting song when the ear worm invades

Possibly record a 'Valiants to Victory' version?
  • sam3110 said:
    Worst line in it was "jogging down the line" 

Made it sound more like an appreciation song for lino's everywhere 
    Along with “tonight it’s do or die” when most of our games are arvo KOs & how many woahs & claps at start…goes on forever,it’s fookin entirely dreadful…!!!
  • seth plum said:
    The Brighton and Hove Albion song is ‘Sussex by the Sea’ written in 1907.
    Harry Woods wrote the music and words for Red Red Robin in 1926.
    Both songs would be firmly seated in the sheet music era.
    Harry Woods also co wrote ‘Try a Little Tenderness’ which was popularised by the fantastic Otis Redding so that connection is cool.
    I don’t know, but suspect we and Brighton might have the oldest associated songs in English football.
    "Try little tenderness" is fantastic song - I didn't really know it/notice it much until the film The Commitments
    -watched that again a few years ago and the "live" sections really convey the excitement of a performance for me. Thanks for reminding me
  • How about Haddock’s to victory?

KingKinsella says I'll strum it you sing
  • TEL said:
    Firstly, our original badge had a Robin on it, and ‘The Robins’ was our nickname (adopted 1931 per CAFC Museum), hence the Red Red Robin (a superb song) and I sing along to it when the team comes out, as do my mate and his son who I sit with

Possibly record a 'Valiants to Victory' version?
    Eureka!!! Lets combine all the elements together

"Robin Reliants to Victory"
    by DelBoy and Rodders

Of course the modern idiom is the Rap.... perhaps Stormzy is available?? anybody know him