Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time to bring back "Addicks to Victory"

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    The RRR would fulfil every criteria if we had the recording we used to have and play where Billy Cotton’s Band used to spell out ‘Addicks’ at the end (or was it ‘Charlton’?).
    Not sure about the "wakey, wakey" at the beginning though!
    That's aimed at our back 4.
  • bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    The RRR would fulfil every criteria if we had the recording we used to have and play where Billy Cotton’s Band used to spell out ‘Addicks’ at the end (or was it ‘Charlton’?).
    That's aimed at our East Stand back 4.
    :)
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    That's aimed at our East Stand back 4.
    :)

Didn't think we had an East Stand anymore...🤔
  • Sweet Caroline has Methven written all over it.
  • edited September 2023
    I’ve heard that the Charlton Live pod, having dropped the Red Red Robin, are planning to phase in Addicks to Victory over the next few weeks. What will they think of next!?
  • It is a song our opponents should play at away games to piss us off!
  • Croydon said:
    I noticed after the game it’s now finally gone, but it’s been replaced with the hugely unoriginal 2019 Boxing Remix (Freed from Desire and Sweet Caroline). Both of which drowned out the Norf Upper singing to the team as they were clapping the crowd. 
    Time for Sweet CaroIine to be banned worldwide I think, so overdone. 
    I thinks it's good, so go.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Firstly, our original badge had a Robin on it, and ‘The Robins’ was our nickname (adopted 1931 per CAFC Museum), hence the Red Red Robin (a superb song) and I sing along to it when the team comes out, as do my mate and his son who I sit with

Second TS song - which I refuse to name - is utter garbage - it’s shit 
    I have learnt something here. I've been going since 66 (on and off) and I never knew that. When did the sword replace the Robin? so that's been dropped along time ago. And we're still playing the same song.

I'm not against _red Robin for those still alive and going to the Valley from 1931. More FOR playing songs that mention our team in a more direct fashion ( and without reference to ancient history books) when they are well sung , played in their own genre and have Charlton references. Doesn't deserve to be totally dropped.
    Close the thread , here is the winner .

Agreed-i'd forgotten this- 

I also forgot to mention Chas and Dave Tottenham song which is a cracker - I sometimes find myself singing this uplifting song when the ear worm invades

• edited September 2023
    Am I dreaming here or did we not used to have Cliff Richard’s ‘Congratulations’ after a win back in the 70s? Almost as naff. 
  • edited September 2023
    Firstly, our original badge had a Robin on it, and ‘The Robins’ was our nickname (adopted 1931 per CAFC Museum), hence the Red Red Robin (a superb song) and I sing along to it when the team comes out, as do my mate and his son who I sit with

I have learnt something here. I've been going since 66 (on and off) and I never knew that. When did the sword replace the Robin? so that's been dropped along time ago. And we're still playing the same song.

I'm not against _red Robin for those still alive and going to the Valley from 1931. More FOR playing songs that mention our team in a more direct fashion ( and without reference to ancient history books) when they are well sung , played in their own genre and have Charlton references. Doesn't deserve to be totally dropped.

I also forgot to mention Chas and Dave Tottenham song which is a cracker - I sometimes find myself singing this uplifting song when the ear worm invades

Charlton Athletic F.C. Crest & Club History (footballcrests.com)

Worth a read sometime...@KingKinsella
  • Back in the 1970’s Cambridge United played ‘I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts’ after a home win - there was one season where it was only played once (or something like that) !!!
  • Am I dreaming here or did we not used to have Cliff Richard’s ‘Celebration’ after a win back in the 70s? Almost as naff. 
    We definitely did for a time.
  • Firstly, our original badge had a Robin on it, and ‘The Robins’ was our nickname (adopted 1931 per CAFC Museum), hence the Red Red Robin (a superb song) and I sing along to it when the team comes out, as do my mate and his son who I sit with

Sword badge came in early 60’s I believe, when club had a competition for fans to decide on new nickname, which was the rather dreadful ‘Valiants’ - our badge is however a cracking badge IMO
  • RRR as the teams come out. Then no more music until half time. 

Let the sound of the crowd be the noise.

Music pre match at a sensible level as background music - maybe themed to a year where there is a reference point (The top ten when X happened (ie we beat Arsenal 4-2)).

NEVER goal music, and I agree that there should be no music straight after the final whistle.
  • Sweet Caroline has Methven written all over it.
    His Alter Ego..."Sweet Caroline Methven"...🙄

Its history
  • Sponsored links:

Its history
    Your welcome..
  • I had forgotten how godawful it is!

In retrospect it said absolutely everything we needed to know about our former owner.

And far too much reverb!
  • edited September 2023
    I really liked when we played "Theme for great cities" after the match. A great track and not too intrusive against any singing or conversation.
  • Am I dreaming here or did we not used to have Cliff Richard’s ‘Congratulations’ after a win back in the 70s? Almost as naff. 
    Yeah I remember that. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
  • Am I dreaming here or did we not used to have Cliff Richard’s ‘Congratulations’ after a win back in the 70s? Almost as naff. 
    I think we first played it after beating Bristol City in a night game to ensure we stayed up early 70s & then carried on the following season.
  • I have a recollection from the seventies of after Charlton ran out to Red Red Robin, the away team took the pitch to a song called 'No, Honestly'.

Sword badge came in early 60’s I believe, when club had a competition for fans to decide on new nickname, which was the rather dreadful ‘Valiants’ - our badge is however a cracking badge IMO
    This is the incoherence of the way the club has "marketed" itself. Makes more sense to bring back the  Robin on the badge, OR change the song.

RRR  conveys a cuddly jolly little bird that you associate with winter/Christmas pudding/Peter Rabbit and Winnie the Pooh. Dated and eccentric, childish and non -threatening. Too nice to win. A touch of whimsy with that clumsy clunk on the cymbal  reminds me of a Bonzo Dog Doo-da Band send up. A style of music that will never return. That's what you're saying about Charlton. 

The Sword on the badge- far more aggressive forceful, powerful and about winning.

Regards the song
    What is the objection to it being played (at all)?
    1) Don't like Heavy Metal ( well I'm not keen on this style of music)...... but its well done
    2)Don't like our club mentioned (unless you read the history books) 
    3) Don't like TS.............HE's GONE
    4) Opposed to any change ......OK pick Charlie Wright Derek Hales andClive Mendonca and we'll get pasted.
    Move on. You accept change in the team why not the song.
  • Maybe play it after a "clean sheet win". Won't get much of an airing this season!