Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time to bring back "Addicks to Victory"

Comments

• Maybe play it after a "clean sheet win". Won't get much of an airing this season!
    Ha!
  • I've never been as precious about the Red Red Robin as many fans are.
    It's a bit twee and flaccid but I think by dint of sheer longevity and familiarity it has become like a comfort blanket that we are scared of losing.
    I think there is an element of "don't mess with tradition".
    Personally I would be happy if we could find something more rousing that the majority of fans could get behind, but I think it would have to be special to displace RRR.
    I just think Addicks to Victory is a piece of shit.
    Worse than that it is directly associated with an egotistical boneheaded failure
  • I really liked when we played "Theme for great cities" after the match. A great track and not too intrusive against any singing or conversation.
    Think this still gets rolled out after non-wins! 
  • The Brighton and Hove Albion song is ‘Sussex by the Sea’ written in 1907.
    Harry Woods wrote the music and words for Red Red Robin in 1926.
    Both songs would be firmly seated in the sheet music era.
    Harry Woods also co wrote ‘Try a Little Tenderness’ which was popularised by the fantastic Otis Redding so that connection is cool.
    I don’t know, but suspect we and Brighton might have the oldest associated songs in English football.
  • seth plum said:
    The Brighton and Hove Albion song is ‘Sussex by the Sea’ written in 1907.
    Harry Woods also co wrote ‘Try a Little Tenderness’ which was popularised by the fantastic Otis Redding so that connection is cool.
    I don’t know, but suspect we and Brighton might have the oldest associated songs in English football.
    I think you'll find that honour will go to Crystal Palace.
  • When did we adopt Red Red Robin as our own?
    There must have been years when it wasn't the song we ran out to.
    Has anybody ever written a song about Haddocks?
  • How about Haddock’s to victory?
  • edited September 2023
    I love the RRR song, but it’s worth remembering that at the time it was first introduced it was a fashionable song with a contemporary sound. Not sure whose idea it was to first play it (and I imagine it must have sounded quite ropy back in the day through the PA system of that time) but would the crowd have joined in singing it? Pretty sure they would. It wouldn’t have been designed to be intimidating to the other team, or even to rouse the Charlton team into a frenzy (!), it was presumably more of a community spirit sing-song thing, designed to lift the spirits. 
    Now it’s more of an exercise in nostalgia, not for the 1930s (or 50s?) of course, but more because long term fans will remember it being played when they first started visiting The Valley. 
    Nothing wrong with that imho, and I’d be more than happy if more fans wanted to sing along with it. But there is a clash when the Covered End Choir sing over it, which is a bit jarring, both for those singing along with the CEC, and those who like the RRR. It’s like they both negate each other, which is a shame. I get that the CEC are trying (and succeeding) to ramp up the pre match atmosphere. 
    Last season I asked Michael Grade why, of all the clubs he could have supported, he chose Charlton - he explained that his Uncle - Lew Grade - was friends with Billy Cotton, and when Michael told his Dad he wanted to go to a football match, Lew arranged for him (via Billy Cotton) to go to see Charlton at The Valley - this was because Billy Cotton was chummy with the Gliksten family, and had recently agreed they could use his recently released version of the song at The Valley - his version came out in 1954, so mid 50’s it has to be
    Last season I asked Michael Grade why, of all the clubs he could have supported, he chose Charlton - he explained that his Uncle - Lew Grade - was friends with Billy Cotton, and when Michael told his Dad he wanted to go to a football match, Lew arranged for him (via Billy Cotton) to go to see Charlton at The Valley - this was because Billy Cotton was chummy with the Gliksten family, and had recently agreed they could use his recently released version of the song at The Valley - his version came out in 1954, so mid 50’s it has to be
    That's really interesting.
    I think it probably negates @JamesSeed theory that the crowd would have joined in singing it.
    (In the era of Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis? I don't think so).
    It also suggests that for 30+ years of our Football League existence we weren't running out to it, so not necessarily a "tradition" in the truest sense
  • Sponsored links:

I think it probably negates @JamesSeed theory that the crowd would have joined in singing it.
    It also suggests that for 30+ years of our Football League existence we weren't running out to it, so not necessarily a "tradition" in the truest sense
    Yes, but it’s been played all the while I have been going (1976 my first match), so it’s tradition / a consistent for me + I love it - it’s pretty unique for a football club walk out tune - think back to Methven on ‘Sunderland Til I Die’ and that awful idea for an Ibiza themed dance track - I remember in the 80’s and 90’s Arsenal coming out to Tina Turner ‘Simply the Best’ 🤮

If you have a look at the CAFC Museum link I posted earlier on this thread, Charlton had a weird attitude to supporters back in the day, refusing to let the supporters club be ‘connected’ to the club etc + the Gliksten family were notoriously penny pinching, so I doubt that they invested in a PA System until long after other clubs had them - they only built the Covered End when they saw how many people left a match when it started raining - we didn’t get floodlights until 1961, long after many other clubs had had them for years 
  • edited September 2023
    When did we adopt Red Red Robin as our own?
    Yes, but it’s been played all the while I have been going (1976 my first match), so it’s tradition / a consistent for me + I love it - it’s pretty unique for a football club walk out tune - think back to Methven on ‘Sunderland Til I Die’ and that awful idea for an Ibiza themed dance track - I remember in the 80’s and 90’s Arsenal coming out to Tina Turner ‘Simply the Best’ 🤮

If you have a look at the CAFC Museum link I posted earlier on this thread, Charlton had a weird attitude to supporters back in the day, refusing to let the supporters club be ‘connected’ to the club etc + the Gliksten family were notoriously penny pinching, so I doubt that they invested in a PA System until long after other clubs had them - they only built the Covered End when they saw how many people left a match when it started raining - we didn’t get floodlights until 1961, long after many other clubs had had them for years 
    I think part of my own ambivalence stems from the way in my mind the song plays into that "plucky little Charlton" label we got pigeon-holed with as a result of the Glikstein's "penny pinching" lack of ambition and vision.
    I mean, I get it that it is just me.
    Like you RRR has always been part of my Charlton experience, in my case since 1962, so I dare say I would miss it if it wasn't there
    Edit. Just to add that any change should only ever be with the overwhelming concensus of the vast majority of fans - not foisted on us in an act of vanity
  • Maybe play it after a "clean sheet win". Won't get much of an airing this season!
    The players have deliberately given away goals to make sure we don't get clean sheet wins. That's my only explanation for the defending in recent years!
  • I've always found "Back in the New York Groove" uplifting and think it works well as a pre match gee up.
  • Maybe we should go with the Doris Day version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY8H91Jthy4
  • I quite like the traditional feel of the Red Red Robins. Didn’t they use to play Into the Valley by the Skids and London’s Burning before the team ran out the RRR?
  • Solidgone said:
    I quite like the traditional feel of the Red Red Robins. Didn’t they use to play Into the Valley by the Skids and London’s Burning before the team ran out the RRR?
     Certainly played Into the Valley in the build up to the teams coming out & pretty sure Londons Burning got plays as well. Love the RRR, yes its dated, yes it's a bit whimsical & people can say well we haven't always run out to it so it's not really tradition. Tell me how many people on here (or not on here) can say in all the time they have been attending the Valley the RRR hasn't been played as the team come out ? Seems pretty traditional to me, I've been coming since 65/66 & it's always been here.
  • Have you forgotten to take your medication again?
    I don't need meds Mum tells me I'm in a safe place 

Two words 
  • Sponsored links:

• Trouble is we're all individuals, we're all different, but traditional tunes suit me, how about the death march after a bad home defeat.
  • "Bring back Addicks to victory"

🤐😤😱
  • A2V for me - cannot stand RRR.
    I'm 75, almost, so have heard the rubbish more than most.
  • I always sing RRR, even though no-one around me does. Room 101 for A2V.
  • it sounded ok in 1955 when i started going, now its just cheesy.

• Stig said:
    seth plum said:
    Blaydon Races - 1862
    I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - 1919
    I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts - 1944
    Let 'Em Come - 1979

Lots of clubs have twee old fashioned songs. It's just a shame that we don't honour ours as much as some of the others.
    Didn't Michael Jackson write that ?
  • Stig said:
    seth plum said:
    Blaydon Races - 1862
    I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - 1919
    I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts - 1944
    Let 'Em Come - 1979

Lots of clubs have twee old fashioned songs. It's just a shame that we don't honour ours as much as some of the others.
    Didn't Michael Jackson write that ?

• edited September 2023
    it sounded ok in 1955 when i started going, now its just cheesy.

But it’s our cheesy 
    RaY aGed 65 3/4