Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks

Comments

• Options
    A lot of people seem to be pinning our hopes on Chuks' return but in recent weeks we could've had Haaland up front and it wouldn't have mattered much because the service into our strikers has been desperately lacking.
    This is a myth. Strikers work with midfielders and even defenders to create their own service. Any striker who just waits around for a perfect cross won't make it as a pro footballer
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A lot of people seem to be pinning our hopes on Chuks' return but in recent weeks we could've had Haaland up front and it wouldn't have mattered much because the service into our strikers has been desperately lacking.
    This is a myth. Strikers work with midfielders and even defenders to create their own service. Any striker who just waits around for a perfect cross won't make it as a pro footballer
    This is the most useful thing about Chuks, the ball often sticks to his feet and he can hold off defenders for long enough for midfielders to join the attack
  • Options
    I get it, it’s a straw to clutch at, but if our only hope is Chucks miraculously being fit for any reasonable period of time to get us out of this mess then we’re essentially relegated. 
  • Options
    Is there no kind of support that footballers can wear to keep their hamstrings from doing whatever hamstrings do? Similar to knee supports.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    I give you Macauley Bonne...
    Bonne isn’t very good, but that’s not a fair description of him. Maybe we didn’t see it as much second time round because he wasn’t fit but Bonne was a hard working striker first time round, always running the channels and putting a shift in 

In fact, even the second time round he was constantly making runs in behind still. He was just doing it 10 seconds early so was miles offside every time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is there no kind of support that footballers can wear to keep their hamstrings from doing whatever hamstrings do? Similar to knee supports.
    I know you can use certain tapes cleverly to help when muscle is slightly strained but no idea if that would work on a supposed healthy muscle. Tends to be used more on the upper body too 
  • Options
    edited February 12
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Bonne isn’t very good, but that’s not a fair description of him. Maybe we didn’t see it as much second time round because he wasn’t fit but Bonne was a hard working striker first time round, always running the channels and putting a shift in 

In fact, even the second time round he was constantly making runs in behind still. He was just doing it 10 seconds early so was miles offside every time 
    It was a joke, but all you've added on to his skills list there is that he can run! 
  • Options
     Chucks creates a lot of chances from passages of play where the ball gets put straight back into our box when he isn't playing. May v blackpool springs to mind
  • Options
    When does his contract expire?
  • Options
    When does his contract expire?
    2025 I think 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Gary Lineker 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Get him out there and instruct him to under no circumstances do an extended sprint, even if there's the possibility of a one-on-one. Extended sprints have done his hamstring at least the last two times
    Yep, get him in the line up and fine him a day of wages for each sprint he breaks into. Just put him up front, have him goal hang and let the ball stick to him. That would solve 80% of our problems.
  • Options
    What if he breaks out into a sprint (ish) to stay onside?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Get him out there and instruct him to under no circumstances do an extended sprint, even if there's the possibility of a one-on-one. Extended sprints have done his hamstring at least the last two times
    Yep, get him in the line up and fine him a day of wages for each sprint he breaks into. Just put him up front, have him goal hang and let the ball stick to him. That would solve 80% of our problems.
    The ball doesn’t stick to him though.  He’s got  nuisance value and physical presence when he turns up but let’s not pretend his hold up play is that outstanding .  It might be the best in our squad , I’ll give you that .
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    The ball doesn’t stick to him though.  He’s got  nuisance value and physical presence when he turns up but let’s not pretend his hold up play is that outstanding .  It might be the best in our squad , I’ll give you that .
    He's a battering ram against a tiring defense, the absolute mess he made of Stevenage's back four when he came on was something else. 

He's physical, has a great touch, and can score. We just need to use him in 20/30 minutes bursts 
    This is exactly the right way to use him, the problem is we have to be still in the game (ideally ahead or level, but certainly no more than one goal behind) at the 60 to 70 minute mark.

Right now, if we're only two goals down by that stage, then we're probably having an abnormally solid game defensively.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Leuth said:
    He's a battering ram against a tiring defense, the absolute mess he made of Stevenage's back four when he came on was something else. 

He's physical, has a great touch, and can score. We just need to use him in 20/30 minutes bursts 
    I really contest “great touch”.  A battering ram against a tired defence , yes .  
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Is it really worth poking predictable fun out of Chuks?

Our season did start and finish with his appearance. He looked so sharp. 

As long as his managed properly he will be fine. He just can't play 90 minutes and has to be rotate. The Medical team I believe are aware of what the problem is and how it should be managed, its just whether that is listened to. It seems Appleton chose to ignore the advice from what I understand.
  • Options
    Warming up properly might be a good start. I sit in B Block and watch the routine they laughing call a "warm up".  The stretching routine is almost comical. 

• Options
    Haaland would win and hold up the ball which would help us create a lot more chances and reduce the number of chances the opposition create.

It’s amazing we knew for months we needed a physical striker yet they sign Ladapo and wonder why he’s not effective at holding up the ball.
  • Options
    I don’t think Ladapo is a starter to be honest, again, he’ll be a right pain with 30 to go, but not to get a game going 
  • Options
    Was this not the way Ipswich used him? At the moment, he has not done enough to justify starting a match, whereas Kanu has earned the right to be first choice.