Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appleton's press conferences

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    I hadn't realised there was an issues with McGrandles. He got a knock, but seemed to have run it off
  • Options
    McGrandles can expect to be dropped then if he's in a real good vein of form cos that's what happened to Louie Watson eh!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    clive said:
    I must have watched different games up Appleton because in the Cup relay & on Tuesday evening McGrandles has been lightweight & not seen him do much at all. Doesn't tackle like Dobson nor does he play any telling passes like Fraser or Watson (L) To me the game just passes him by. 

Ho hum. 
  • Options
    No mention of CBT? Is he injured or not? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit earlier than I thought, but the public digging out of players has begun.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-pins-late-cambridge-goals-down-to-personnel-options-rather-than-complacency/

He knew this when he took the job surely? He's now obviously questioning Scott's ability to find the right kind of player. And so it begins
  • Options
    Bit earlier than I thought, but the public digging out of players has begun.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-pins-late-cambridge-goals-down-to-personnel-options-rather-than-complacency/

He knew this when he took the job surely? He's now obviously questioning Scott's ability to find the right kind of player. And so it begins
    This is where I've started feeling negative. He clearly isn't perfect but it's League One so he's going to have flaws in his game. But digging out players like that, starting Rylah over TC, CC randomly coming into the team and LW being put to the side just seems like bad man management to me. I'm sure some of it is to send messages to those above but it must be effecting those young players
  • Options
    21 points from Appleton’s 13 league games - enough for 74/75 over a 46 game season.

He’s not perfect and he’ll recognise that his gamble with subs today cost us points.

But I really can’t understand the massive negativity aimed at him specifically. You’d think we were in the bottom four and won fuck all since he was appointed.

I’ve never been a massive subscriber to the “Charlton connection” theory but I do wonder if that’s where we have to go next just so some of you can last a bit longer before sticking the boot in on another manager. 

I’m almost as sick of reading hyperbolic bollocks online as I am with how long we’ve been stuck in this god forsaken league.
    The results have been decent, but there is no sign of a style of play, performances have not been great (especially recently) and his team selections are often baffling. 

Alfie May is our best player and will (unlike some others) be here next season, why aren’t we building around him? We had to pick a manager that plays 2 up top but instead we have Appleton. I really wish we’d got Challinor from Stockport 

We need to give a manager time, so he should get it. But I still think it was the wrong appointment and we will probably be in exactly the same position in 12 months time so will probably have had no progress for 4 years 
  • Options
    What contract length is Appleton on?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    2 years according to SLP
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:
    2 years according to SLP
    2 years too much, come back Lee Bowyer!
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    mendonca said:
    2 years according to SLP
    2 years too much, come back Lee Bowyer!
    Bowyer would decimate the confidence of our young players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from May, this new groups transfer dealings have been mediocre at best. And you have to remember May literally fell into their laps such was his want to return back home.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    21 points from Appleton’s 13 league games - enough for 74/75 over a 46 game season.

He’s not perfect and he’ll recognise that his gamble with subs today cost us points.

But I really can’t understand the massive negativity aimed at him specifically. You’d think we were in the bottom four and won fuck all since he was appointed.

I’ve never been a massive subscriber to the “Charlton connection” theory but I do wonder if that’s where we have to go next just so some of you can last a bit longer before sticking the boot in on another manager. 

I’m almost as sick of reading hyperbolic bollocks online as I am with how long we’ve been stuck in this god forsaken league.
    I know just what you mean Callum, I’ve barely posted as I’ve been on such a high from these last few results. 
    We really should be more thankful to be playing against some of these mainstays of the English game and even securing the odd score draw against some of them. 
    I’m not happy about it either. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:

The results have been decent, but there is no sign of a style of play, performances have not been great (especially recently) and his team selections are often baffling

Alfie May is our best player and will (unlike some others) be here next season, why aren’t we building around him? We had to pick a manager that plays 2 up top but instead we have Appleton. I really wish we’d got Challinor from Stockport 

We need to give a manager time, so he should get it. But I still think it was the wrong appointment and we will probably be in exactly the same position in 12 months time so will probably have had no progress for 4 years 
    A lot of this stuff has been due to the unavailability of key players. He’s had less than three months, no pre season and is dealing with about eight injuries.

Surely it’s near impossible to impart a proper style of play on a group of footballers under those circumstances.

We all know that the club is in a period of getting through to January until, hopefully, some reinforcements arrive. But we also want to see a complete style of play as well? Those things are mutually exclusive in my mind.

On team selections, I’ve seen people clamouring for Louie Watson again yesterday. Those people are conveniently forgetting how crap LW was in both the Gillingham and Reading games that those same fans were so pissed off about.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

The results have been decent, but there is no sign of a style of play, performances have not been great (especially recently) and his team selections are often baffling

A lot of this stuff has been due to the unavailability of key players. He’s had less than three months, no pre season and is dealing with about eight injuries.

Surely it’s near impossible to impart a proper style of play on a group of footballers under those circumstances.

We all know that the club is in a period of getting through to January until, hopefully, some reinforcements arrive. But we also want to see a complete style of play as well? Those things are mutually exclusive in my mind.

On team selections, I’ve seen people clamouring for Louie Watson again yesterday. Those people are conveniently forgetting how crap LW was in both the Gillingham and Reading games that those same fans were so pissed off about.
    Too many excuses. To be totally outplayed by Cambridge for all bar about 30 mins in the 2nd half is unacceptable. He knew what he was taking on.
  • Options
    I don't subscribe to hyperbole but Appleton was an underwhelming appointment and is proving so with results and performances after 3 months in charge.
    His previous track record was already uninspiring but even if we granted him a clean slate, every game I've seen us play under him has shown a complete lack of identity, zero fluidity. Can anybody here say otherwise?
    In the cups we've performed poorly against lower league opposition (Gillingham & Cray Valley).
    Have we beaten any of the 9 teams currently ahead of us in the league? The performances against the bottom sides have been lacklustre too (really lucky to beat Cheltenham especially).
    He's the beige middle of a Russell Slade & Karl Robinson Venn diagram. Bang average mediocre League One at best.

• Options
    Apart from May, this new groups transfer dealings have been mediocre at best. And you have to remember May literally fell into their laps such was his want to return back home.
    Literally?