Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appleton's press conferences

Michael Appleton held his first press conference as Charlton Head Coach on Thursday afternoon.
Link here 
https://www.charltonafc.com/news/watch-michael-appletons-first-press-conference

Comments

• Options
    Handled that well I thought. Clearly feels under pressure to justify himself but spoke sensibly and encouragingly. But let's see! 
  • Options
    as said, a good interview, BUT of course the proof of the pudding etc etc .. Stevenage will be a big test for him and the team, Evans has assembled a very tight group of players, many from non-league who have a lot to prove and so far are proving it .. as ever, we will see
  • Options
    I don't think Stevenage will prove anything. Suggest perhaps. Prove no. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    One thing that he said 

This squad is too young and that will need addressing in January.

Over to you Scott. 
    Yes, that’s a good acknowledgment.

Can’t really tell much as managers always know the right things to say, let’s see how it plays out.
  • Options
    He said he only really encountered Terell Thomas, Ashley Maynard Brewer and James Abankwah this morning. That would leave only training tomorrow to firm up his team choice.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Thought his comments on the transfer window was telling 
    “looking at great loans not good loans”

may suggest that January will be free’s and loans with little input in terms of transfer fees.

could also be possible the MA feels that the loan market is the best way to add real potential quality to the squad.

Only downside about loans is that they are usually under 22

We really need an older head or two who is around 30-32 to help out. Even as squad players 
  • Options
    I think you have to give him 2 - 3 games to settle in, I mean as much as we dislike Evans he is a wliey manager at this level. Real judgement is where we are at after 10 when any new manager bounce had been dissipated and the "real" team performances are seen.

Of course after 10 matches if we are doing "meh" then all we can do is grumble about Appleton and the board.
  • Options
    We already have 5 loan players, so would need to send players back if he wants new loanees.

That'll motivate our current loanees...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if he realises.we already have all 5 loanees.

That said by Jan at least one is likely to be injured and one a flop based on law of averages so we could send back and improve..

Chem Campbell
    Panuche Camara
    James Abankwa
    Slobodan Tedic
    Loui Watson

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    One thing that he said 

This squad is too young and that will need addressing in January.

Over to you Scott. 
    Well, who would have thunk it 🤔. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Thought his comments on the transfer window was telling 
    “looking at great loans not good loans”

may suggest that January will be free’s and loans with little input in terms of transfer fees.

could also be possible the MA feels that the loan market is the best way to add real potential quality to the squad.

Only downside about loans is that they are usually under 22

We really need an older head or two who is around 30-32 to help out. Even as squad players 
    I think we already have 5 loanees. No point bringing in more if you can't play them all. And teams aren't going to like you trying to send them back.

But of course, the SMT thought about this last month BEFORE the window and BEFORE we brought in a new manager who would want HIS type of players.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    He said he only really encountered Terell Thomas, Ashley Maynard Brewer and James Abankwah this morning. That would leave only training tomorrow to firm up his team choice.
    Hope he realises he’s got to win or face the sack.
  • Options
    Maybe we buy the current loanees?

• Options
    “Saturday is a must win game.  I’ve gone on Charlton Life to get a feel for the consensus of the fans and someone called @seth plum said I’m out by 5pm if I don’t get 3 pts at the Lamex” 😉
  • Options
    Watching that, I noticed that he doesn’t have any eyebrows! Maybe that’s why he looks so scary in photos 🤔
  • Options
    Everyone getting their knickers in a twist over the loanees comment. It wasn’t said within the context of saying the current loans aren’t good enough - Appleton himself went on to say those “great loans are match winners and we could already have some in the squad” or words to that affect.

I saw the comment as a call to the loanees to step up and be match winners. To care more than just being a body in the squad for the experience.
    30 years of supporting Charlton and we can all name the great loans in that time - Bartlett, Song, Carson, Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher , Dasilva. Coquelin for that brief spell . Liam Millar was good and we’ve had some other decent goalkeepers. Camara looks the best bet to be very good of this crop , but evidently
    only if we can get him on the pitch. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Everyone getting their knickers in a twist over the loanees comment. It wasn’t said within the context of saying the current loans aren’t good enough - Appleton himself went on to say those “great loans are match winners and we could already have some in the squad” or words to that affect.

I saw the comment as a call to the loanees to step up and be match winners. To care more than just being a body in the squad for the experience.
    30 years of supporting Charlton and we can all name the great loans in that time - Bartlett, Song, Carson, Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher , Dasilva. Coquelin for that brief spell . Liam Millar was good and we’ve had some other decent goalkeepers. Camara looks the best bet to be very good of this crop , but evidently

Think Campbell has started well and could be a very good player this year 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

George Costa , Rak-Sakyi 
  • Options
    Jon Hendry
  • Options
    Neil Heaney
  • Options
    Alan McDonald
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson wasn’t a bad loan player for us
  • Options
     Chris Maxwell