Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer and Steve Gallen coaching the Montserrat team?

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    robroy said:
    Is 38 our old goalkeeper coach?
    Bobby Mimms has not worked for Charlton Athletic 
    Played against us in my first ever game though :-) 
    Spurs at Selhurst Park October 1988
    It's good but it's not right...

I'll put you both out your misery.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/11371/the-week-that-was-11th-october-1986-charlton-3-everton-2
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    robroy said:

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/11371/the-week-that-was-11th-october-1986-charlton-3-everton-2
    Thanks Roy
  • Options
    All looks so strange. Like a scene from a netflix show!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    robroy said:

That was a brilliant game and I was there to see Jim Melrose scoring that hat trick against Everton who were champions in 84/85.
    Big Nev Southall was their regular keeper with 578 app so that was  difficult to remember the stand in keepers.

Both Charlton and Everton would love to get back to those days.

• Options
    Sounds like Montserrat is just a small team in South East London judging by where they recruit from!
  • Options
    Gallen is only helping Bowyer out short term.  He’s enjoying being back on the pitch for now 
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor asked Bowyer if he would help….fact
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor asked Bowyer if he would help….fact

100% correct.
  • Options
    Help what, just out of interest?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    robroy said:

That was a brilliant game and I was there to see Jim Melrose scoring that hat trick against Everton who were champions in 84/85.
    Big Nev Southall was their regular keeper with 578 app so that was  difficult to remember the stand in keepers.

Sheedy scored two free kicks for Everton didn't he ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    robroy said:

Sheedy scored two free kicks for Everton didn't he ?

Yes, only after checking !
    I could remember the Jim Melrose hat trick and because my Dad was there I remember I was in the stand opposite the Arthur Waite stand.

Most games I stood at the Sainsbury's end and I remember a guy who always asked the keepers what cars they drove !
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    robroy said:

Selhurst was rocking for us nomadic fans at the time was a great game, when Everton were actually pretty good. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The more I see of these two, the more I resent them both. 

He let Taylor opt out of playing and as such they both contributed to our downfall. 
    Maybe they play like Bows and Dyer used to.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

He let Taylor opt out of playing and as such they both contributed to our downfall. 
    And people were still desperate to see Bowyer back 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I don’t think bowyer had big ambition to be a football manager - he started doing s bit of coaching, found he like it, ended up as manager, found he liked that and then it went tits and he ended up at birmingham which was also a bit Titsy so probably not fussed about getting back in the trenches at charlton which is looking like another battle atm 
    Did it go tits ? Were you at Wembley ? Didn’t Taylor F him off ? 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Taylor's contract was expiring what, two or three games into the season restart. This was at the height of Covid. I feel like the context of that has been forgotten. I don't think Bowyer had much he could do with LT, but even if he did, in the midst of the pandemic, players were allowed to opt out. 

I have reservations about Bowyer as a coach from that season, but "allowing Taylor not to play" isn't one of them.
     Players were allowed to opt out over Covid concerns. Lyle has openly admitted he opted out of playing to avoid scuppering a move. That won't be forgotten. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Taylor's contract was expiring what, two or three games into the season restart. This was at the height of Covid. I feel like the context of that has been forgotten. I don't think Bowyer had much he could do with LT, but even if he did, in the midst of the pandemic, players were allowed to opt out. 

I have reservations about Bowyer as a coach from that season, but "allowing Taylor not to play" isn't one of them.
     Players were allowed to opt out over Covid concerns. Lyle has openly admitted he opted out of playing to avoid scuppering a move. That won't be forgotten. 
    IIRC there were three games played whilst he was still contracted that he refused to take part in?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morally, the correct thing was to play the WHOLE season. It was a one off scenario where the delay caused by lockdown meant that the football season extended past the end of many contracts, but contracts only expired at the end of June because the season should have been finished by then.

The PFA should have been far stronger over this, both players playing the full season, and clubs paying players for the full season.
  • Options
    Best of British luck to the pair of them.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Nor should it be with Taylor, but I don't know that you can blame Bowyer for that. I don't remember what exactly the options were, but I'm pretty sure coming back was opt in for everyone--for example, David Davis (remember him? Me neither) didn't come back either. Taylor made the decision he made, but regardless of the reason, I don't know what recourse Bowyer had. Fine him? If the contract you signed expires June 30, you can't be forced to work past June 30. 

Dazzler21 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Dazzler21 said:

IIRC there were three games played whilst he was still contracted that he refused to take part in?
    I think that was right, it was either two or three games. I want to say league restarted June 22, and contracts expire June 30.
  • Options
    Gallen is a decent chap, but they are nicely trained to give sweet lines only. Loves Charlton, loves Montserrat, loves Bows, Bows loves Charlton, Bows would have loved the job at Charlton......spot the theme!
  • Options
    Don’t think Bowyer would have suited the current set up. He would want more of a say in recruitment and probably Gallen to stay on 
  • Options
    Can't comment on the sincerity of his words, just reporting what I saw and heard!