Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Abankwah signs on season long loan from Udinese - gone back (p7)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Just noticed same agent as Terry Taylor
    It does feel like that business is being done with mates.

As opposed when we signed players that Gallen's mates or him had some connection.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Might just be me but I’m really looking forward to seeing him play. A quick, strong, tall, and good on the ball centre back that’s highly regarded? Yeah hope he does well and brings a real element of class and quality to the back line.
    And can play RB too... sounds almost exactly like a new version of Joe Gomez. Honestly if he has even half the impact and quality of the OG then he could genuinely be real gem.

But let's see how he does.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Whelmed 
    Is that the opposite of underwhelmed?
    That would be overwhelmed. Somewhat whelmed that you needing reminding. 
    But ‘underwhelmed’ means not impressed, whereas ‘overwhelmed’ means mentally or physically being unable to cope with the situation you’re in. 
    So is the world ‘whelmed’ used in this context as reasonably impressed or being able to cope with the situation?
    I’ve not seen it used in literature. In fact I’m pretty sure it’s not a real word. 🙂
  • Options
    If he’s playing for us at The Valley, will the bookies see it as a home Abankwah. 

Now where’s me coat?
  • Options
    Very surprised reading that to discover that Italian teams don't have a B team or U21s.

I know Juventus have an U23 side that plays in Serie C, but pretty surprising that a country as big on football as Italy doesn't have a better youth setup.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Very surprised reading that to discover that Italian teams don't have a B team or U21s.

I know Juventus have an U23 side that plays in Serie C, but pretty surprising that a country as big on football as Italy doesn't have a better youth setup.
    I think the problem is teams like Juventus having teams that play in Serie C. They hoover up all the talent as they are playing in a more competitive league than if it was all U23's. Plus no organisation is going to create an U23 league without the biggest teams. Taking a guess here but I think our system is actually fairly unusual
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Whelmed 
    But ‘underwhelmed’ means not impressed, whereas ‘overwhelmed’ means mentally or physically being unable to cope with the situation you’re in. 
    So is the world ‘whelmed’ used in this context as reasonably impressed or being able to cope with the situation?
    I’ve not seen it used in literature. In fact I’m pretty sure it’s not a real word. 🙂
    I'm pretty sure you are wrong

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is what we come to CL for (and trains of course), not that football garbage
    And to give our support to The Hawk Naba
  • Options
    We need to hope this guy is the new Jorge Costa, as the rest of our defensive options are all worryingly poor right now.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Whelmed 

‘Whelmed’ not a word. 
    ‘Whelm’, a word. 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    We need to hope this guy is the new Jorge Costa, as the rest of our defensive options are all worryingly poor right now.
    No pressure lad
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Whelmed 

‘Whelmed’ not a word. 
    ‘Whelm’, a word. 

The dictionary definition in the post you're quoting literally contains the word 'whelmed'... :)

For what it's worth, I agree the manner in which it's often used on CL for comic effect isn't strictly grammatical.
  • Options
    No pressure lad
    Expecting a nervous teenager rather than seasoned pro. Times have changed.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Whelmed 
    It might not be in the OED but it’s used here ergo it’s real. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

I think the problem is teams like Juventus having teams that play in Serie C. They hoover up all the talent as they are playing in a more competitive league than if it was all U23's. Plus no organisation is going to create an U23 league without the biggest teams. Taking a guess here but I think our system is actually fairly unusual
    Because its a 150 years old.  It's arguably 30 years older than "Italy" as we know it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:

yep the system in italy is quite different - co ownership deals used to be common place in place of loans, had the advantage of smaller teams having a financial interest in developing players but then if a third party team wanted to buy the player they'd have to negotiate with 2 clubs. 
  • Options
    With the form and lack of confidence of Hector and Ness, James may well find himself playing CB soon.
    The Lad could either be a cult hero or a disaster. My Cafc heart thinks the former my experienced Cafc head says the latter !
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Whelmed 

‘Whelmed’ not a word. 
    ‘Whelm’, a word. 

The dictionary definition in the post you're quoting literally contains the word 'whelmed'... :)

For what it's worth, I agree the manner in which it's often used on CL for comic effect isn't strictly grammatical.
    Yes, but 'Engulf, submerge or bury' isn't what @blackpool72 meant. So although it's in the dictionary, it's only with a different meaning.
    😉
  • Options
    With the form and lack of confidence of Hector and Ness, James may well find himself playing CB soon.
    The Lad could either be a cult hero or a disaster. My Cafc heart thinks the former my experienced Cafc head says the latter !
    I'll give it a go, but I'm 67 mate.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    An unused substitute as Ireland U21 beat Turkey U21 3-2.
  • Options
    at least he wasnt injured
  • Options
    So he can't get in the Ireland Under 21 side?
    In a competitive game?
    Oh my.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    So he can't get in the Ireland Under 21 side?
    In a competitive game?
    Oh my.

Little surprised as well, but the ones who started play for Palace and a Dutch side so maybe not a huge surprise 
  • Options
    Ireland seem to have a lot of talented young players coming through their ranks