Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford v Charlton - (the missing pre-)Match Thread

edited August 2023 in General Charlton
So when @ForeverAddickted thought he was doing the right thing submitting his leave chit to HR a full 10 days ahead of this fixture, he thought he’s done everything in an organised way.

Unfortunately he submitted to the most useless waste of space at CL Towers, who no doubt was looking at Liz Hurley’s Instagram at the time instead of concentrating on work.

A internal review has been held, lessons have been learnt and process instructions updated. No further action will be taken against the individual as the independent panel came to the conclusion that in fairness, Liz was looking absolute filth.

In team news, Charlton are expected to field a side consisting of 11 players. 4 of those will be at the back, though this may visually appear an illusion from 80 minutes onwards. Oxford are apparently a decent counter attacking team so an afternoon of us having possession, little end product and then conceding a basic goal awaits. 

Our new signing Chem is expected to start and the spread on the number of times in the match thread Golfie tells everyone we still need a striker is 24-26. 

My prediction, no one will go into this with any confidence, half those who went Peterborough have decided to swerve it, we are currently non league at defending, can’t last the 110 minutes you now play, lightweight up front and struggling for goals. Everything is pointing to a classic 2-0 Charlton win and everyone talking about automatic promotion by 6pm

Up the Addicks! 

Comments

• Options
    Gold 🥇

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    3 defeats on the bounce

Defence as leaky as a sieve

Strikeforce at least 1 man light

Just know we will win. 0-2. May & Jones.
  • Options
    Best read so far this season!!
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    Not only the usual preview missing, but there is no pre match Holden interview up on Charlton TV.
  • Options
    I can’t believe that ForeverAddick would have the cheek to go on holiday during football season…how double dare him!
    2-3 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I can’t believe that ForeverAddick would have the cheek to go on holiday during football season…how double dare him!
    2-3 
    Worse still, there's a post on the Things That Annoy You thread suggesting that he's back (unless he's one of that rare breed who lives in Cornwall and holidays in South London), and still nothing.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Our defence/midfield/attack is the envy of the league. Oxford have no chance.
  • Options
    We would be viewed by most as simply a soft touch.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best set of comments I’ve seen on a thread for ages. No idea re the score.
  • Options
    Oxford 3 Charlton 1. CBT scores . Much after match talk about the deficiencies of the 6 centre backs around the squad  and of course a striker needed.
  • Options
    Things could be very bad by this evening! Can’t see anything but a convincing defeat. After the results so far if we get a tonking today I have no idea how Holden picks this group up
  • Options
    Can’t see us getting anything again.

2-1 loss
  • Options
    Yeah fully expecting a loss here. Oxford will offer a lot more attacking wise than Port Vale and Bristol Rovers so unless our defence has sorted itself out we could concede a fair few. Even in a season challenging for top 6 and even top 2 a draw away at this Oxford side would be a very good result. 
  • Options
    Superb @AFKABartram

Another loss here and I fear for DH. It won't be the one that costs him his job, but may well  be the tipping point where his position is discussed by the board. 

I really hope we've had the week where robust conversations have been had by all the players and staff, and the season restarts today. No more stupid, amateurish mistakes that cost us. No more jogging back to defend a break away. No more hiding. 

We do have a core of players that can get into the top 6. Clubs like Port Vale and Bristol Rovers would love to have alot of our squad. Yet they've beat us. 

Can't see a win today, Oxford do have the rub on us, I'd be happy with a draw. 1-1, may to score. 

• Options
    4-0 Oxford
  • Options
    I fancy us to get 3 points. They'll be the ones from the traffic cops on the A40 though.
  • Options
    3-1 Oxford. Our only hope is they don't play a full strength side.

Not sure who will make the defensive cockups today.
  • Options
    So have Charlton TV agreed to cut to a photo of Liz Hurley when the game starts?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very nice preview but still very reluctant to invest £10 on a sunny.bank holiday to witness more of this  shambles. 

I have never seen a football team play so well and lose so convincingly. It's like watching an exhibition team paid to put on a nice display but ensure defeat. 

It's not a lack.of effort. it's.more subtle. A sort of lack of fight or belief. Very troubling. 

3.1 Oxford. 
  • Options
    Here's something to cheer everyone up. We could be bottom of the table tonight if everyone beneath us win and we lose today  B)
  • Options
    Very nice preview but still very reluctant to invest £10 on a sunny.bank holiday to witness more of this  shambles. 

I have never seen a football team play so well and lose so convincingly. It's like watching an exhibition team paid to put on a nice display but ensure defeat. 

It's not a lack.of effort. it's.more subtle. A sort of lack of fight or belief. Very troubling. 

3.1 Oxford. 
    I agree with what you say about the performances. It is very weird that we have been the better team in all the games so far, played really good football at times but lost. Fine margins 
  • Options
    What a perfect pre match 
  • Options
    A new striker on view today, no not us, Oxford have signed a striker on loan from Leeds 
  • Options
    Am almost scared to look at our scores during the game now (when not attending!). Even being a goal up means little. 

I see another loss, sadly.
  • Options
    This is how we will line up

GK
                                     Player-Body-Body-Body-Player
                                                        Dobson
                                                    Player-Player
                                               Another Player-May

with a lot of excellent bodies injured.

My prediction is that I will be shouting incoherently at the TV by 5pm,  or 5.15 allowing for added time.

• Options
    Defining game for our progress up to January. Lose and the pressure to add to the squad and get rid of the dead wood grows ever louder, Dean Holden will also start to see the attention and heat turned on him. Win or draw and life won't seem so bad and by most even a draw will mean progress. With Kanu, May looking like they can score, it's down to eradicating the stupid defensive errors that will give us a chance at Oxford, draw for me. 
  • Options
    So when @ForeverAddickted thought he was doing the right thing submitting his leave chit to HR a full 10 days ahead of this fixture, he thought he’s done everything in an organised way.

Unfortunately he submitted to the most useless waste of space at CL Towers, who no doubt was looking at Liz Hurley’s Instagram at the time instead of concentrating on work.

A internal review has been held, lessons have been learnt and process instructions updated. No further action will be taken against the individual as the independent panel came to the conclusion that in fairness, Liz was looking absolute filth.

In team news, Charlton are expected to field a side consisting of 11 players. 4 of those will be at the back, though this may visually appear an illusion from 80 minutes onwards. Oxford are apparently a decent counter attacking team so an afternoon of us having possession, little end product and then conceding a basic goal awaits. 

Our new signing Chem is expected to start and the spread on the number of times in the match thread Golfie tells everyone we still need a striker is 24-26. 

My prediction, no one will go into this with any confidence, half those who went Peterborough have decided to swerve it, we are currently non league at defending, can’t last the 110 minutes you now play, lightweight up front and struggling for goals. Everything is pointing to a classic 2-0 Charlton win and everyone talking about automatic promotion by 6pm

Up the Addicks! 
    This is brilliant mate!!