Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Case For The Defence?

13»

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    Forgetting as well that in most games we've conceded far more chances than just 'errors'. 

Our defense is terrible.

Of course they play for Charlton so they're all world beaters and incredible while they concede another 60+ goals that aren't their fault. 
    I feel the default Charlton attitude is much more 'our defenders are all total shit and I hate them all', and I'm usually the lone voice of 'maybe the midfielders and strikers should be helping them out a bit' 
    Well 'cheat-code' Inniss, for example, is currently sat 22nd in League Two after conceding 7 goals from his first 4 games. But yes, our defense has always been fantastic and isn't the problem. 
  • Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I thought the Innis argument was done when he went to Forest Green Rovers in League Two, I really did... 🤦‍♂️
    It will be put to bed when we sign someone clearly better.  Although he was part of a defence that conceded 3 against Newport on Saturday...
    Just watched the highlights, some serious questions for Ryan over their first goal...
    Yup and our clearly better defenders have been faultless.

Is Inniss the answer, clearly not, was Inniss THE problem, probably not either.

• I'm just saying, it does not take much for our fans to throw defenders under the bus 
  • Leuth said:
    I'm just saying, it does not take much for our fans to throw defenders under the bus 
    That's why we've moved to a back 3....to save them some flak and wrath. 
  • edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    Forgetting as well that in most games we've conceded far more chances than just 'errors'. 

Our defense is terrible.

Of course they play for Charlton so they're all world beaters and incredible while they concede another 60+ goals that aren't their fault. 
    I feel the default Charlton attitude is much more 'our defenders are all total shit and I hate them all', and I'm usually the lone voice of 'maybe the midfielders and strikers should be helping them out a bit' 
     don't hate them, I just don't think they're very good. 

What more could our strikers do, May's work rates are so high that the keeper usually has to kick it quick, Dobbo runs around chasing players like they owe him money, Panutche has also shown high work rates. 

You watch our goals and they're all defensive problems bar maybe the Panutche mistake at Peterborough.

I am far less concerned about the midfield than that back line. Oxford will show where we are at, they can usually put a few past us and they have quite a bit of attacking talent. I think we are gonna concede 3 or 4 but I hope I'm wrong. 
  • Leuth said:
    People are writing about Hector like he's fit for the scrapheap. He's a class footballer and he'll show it this season. Or is one bad error completely unforgivable? 
    He pulled off an unbelievable tackle late on in the game that got a gasp from the crowd. I haven't given up on him yet. (Nor Taylor, Leuthy!)
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    But 2 weeks ago Jones was "clearly" an upgrade on anything we have had for the last two years.

Just as the other half dozen center backs we have had since BFG, Sarr and Lockyer.
    I was the one you pulled up on when I said that was the case with Jones and despite it being early days, I still believe it will turn out that way.

I’m amazed by how many are ready to tar him with the same brush as the others when he’s not put a foot wrong yet. Seeing the same with Taylor for what it’s worth. Feels like some fans just want new players to fail because I can’t see any other logical explanation.

Him and Edun are, unless I’m misremembering, the only defenders yet to drop a bollock in a game so far this season. Long may that continue.
    Well exactly you have proved my point.

Has he done anything wrong yet?  No not really.  Is he "clearly" better than Inniss, Famewo, Pearce, O'Connell etc?  Based on his performances so far, no.  He is not clearly better, or worse.  He might be, he might not be. 

If we are tarring with the same brush we would all be jizzing our pants like some did with Inniss, Famewo and Gilbey after a few performances then watch them become world beaters whilst they were injured.  As soon as any of them were fit enough to play more than half a dozen in a row they were hounded out with pitch folks.

McGrandles was a superstar signing after 45 minutes of a preseason friendly and Kilkenny was the new Cullen after his debut.

I'll judge Jones, Taylor et al after a meaningful sample size of games, for us.
    So we agree that it’s equally rash to be calling Jones, Taylor, even McGrandles, shit on the basis of less than a dozen appearances for the club?

When I made the comment about Jones, it was more in relief that I wasn’t going to have to watch Ryan Inniss or Sam Lavelle play centre back for our club anymore. They were both players I was happy we signed at the time and hoped they’d do well, but in hindsight the signs were there for both - barely featured above League 2 in their careers, only good thing fans of previous clubs could say was they played for the shirt or they’re a good bloke etc.

We signed Jones with a bundle of League One experience and Cambridge fans complimenting how he actually plays a game of football, rather than what he’s like as a person…

Ryan Inniss was genuinely the worst senior centre back we’ve had play more than 50 games for the club, in the 21st century. I can’t believe there is revisionism going on there already. He was shocking.
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    But 2 weeks ago Jones was "clearly" an upgrade on anything we have had for the last two years.

Just as the other half dozen center backs we have had since BFG, Sarr and Lockyer.
    I was the one you pulled up on when I said that was the case with Jones and despite it being early days, I still believe it will turn out that way.

I’m amazed by how many are ready to tar him with the same brush as the others when he’s not put a foot wrong yet. Seeing the same with Taylor for what it’s worth. Feels like some fans just want new players to fail because I can’t see any other logical explanation.

Him and Edun are, unless I’m misremembering, the only defenders yet to drop a bollock in a game so far this season. Long may that continue.

Has he done anything wrong yet?  No not really.  Is he "clearly" better than Inniss, Famewo, Pearce, O'Connell etc?  Based on his performances so far, no.  He is not clearly better, or worse.  He might be, he might not be. 

If we are tarring with the same brush we would all be jizzing our pants like some did with Inniss, Famewo and Gilbey after a few performances then watch them become world beaters whilst they were injured.  As soon as any of them were fit enough to play more than half a dozen in a row they were hounded out with pitch folks.

McGrandles was a superstar signing after 45 minutes of a preseason friendly and Kilkenny was the new Cullen after his debut.

So we agree that it’s equally rash to be calling Jones, Taylor, even McGrandles, shit on the basis of less than a dozen appearances for the club?

When I made the comment about Jones, it was more in relief that I wasn’t going to have to watch Ryan Inniss or Sam Lavelle play centre back for our club anymore. They were both players I was happy we signed at the time and hoped they’d do well, but in hindsight the signs were there for both - barely featured above League 2 in their careers, only good thing fans of previous clubs could say was they played for the shirt or they’re a good bloke etc.

We signed Jones with a bundle of League One experience and Cambridge fans complimenting how he actually plays a game of football, rather than what he’s like as a person…

Ryan Inniss was genuinely the worst senior centre back we’ve had play more than 50 games for the club, in the 21st century. I can’t believe there is revisionism going on there already. He was shocking.
    Don’t agree. He made a few mistakes, but apart from those he was ‘commanding L1 centre back personified’ for much of the time. Well at least some of the time. Up at Cambridge he repelled their aerial bombardment single handed, without batting an eyelid. Those sort of performances often go unnoticed. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Don’t agree. He made a few mistakes, but apart from those he was ‘commanding L1 centre back personified’ for much of the time. Up at Cambridge he repelled their aerial bombardment single handed, without batting an eyelid. Those sort of performances often go unnoticed. 
    So why is he 22nd in League Two conceding 7 goals in 4 games? 
  • edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Don’t agree. He made a few mistakes, but apart from those he was ‘commanding L1 centre back personified’ for much of the time. Up at Cambridge he repelled their aerial bombardment single handed, without batting an eyelid. Those sort of performances often go unnoticed. 
    The issue is, as @Cafc43v3r hinted at, we haven't yet brought in a CB that underlines how bad Innis was. 

There was similar defense of Gilbey when he moved down the ladder. 'Played well against Ipswich' etc.. And then we get some midfielders who are actually good and we realise what an absolute turnip he was.

It's no coincidence these players are dropping down a league. They were nowhere near good enough. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yeah, but why is Santos still playing for Derby in L1?
  • Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

The issue is, as @Cafc43v3r hinted at, we haven't yet brought in a CB that underlines how bad Innis was. 

There was similar defense of Gilbey when he moved down the ladder. 'Played well against Ipswich' etc.. And then we get some midfielders who are actually good and we realise what an absolute turnip he was.

It's no coincidence these players are dropping down a league. They were nowhere near good enough. 
    I know what you mean. But without the mistakes he was good I thought. Of course mistakes are part of the package. 
    He’s not a cross I want to die on, but I think we can get quite fixated on a player and their perceived flaws. I wonder if you analysed every game he played in how many bad mistakes did he actually make? For me it wasn’t very many. 
    Of course I could be wrong. It has be known. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You said he's 'commanding L1 centre back personified', so why did no one else in League One want to take a punt on him? Or anyone at the top level of League Two? 

Just because he's tall and can win a header doesn't make him a good centre back. 
  • Gilbey was allowed to hide and moan for a season and a half before everyone cottoned on 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Using your logic Lavelle is significantly better than Inniss? 
  • edited August 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You said he's 'commanding L1 centre back personified', so why did no one else in League One want to take a punt on him? Or anyone at the top level of League Two? 

Just because he's tall and can win a header doesn't make him a good centre back. 
    I know what you’re saying, but I still think his mistakes were exaggerated and he had quite a few dominant games for us. 
    But having differing opinions is healthy, and to me it is odd that he didn’t get a better offer than Forest Green, but club scouts know more than I do. 
     I think we miss him, but would I be saying that if we hadn’t lost four games in a row? Possibly not. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Using your logic Lavelle is significantly better than Inniss? 
    Using my logic neither of them are good enough for us. 
  • edited August 2023
    I'd be interested to know who is coaching our defence in training sessions, surely they practice set plays, attacking and defensively , it looks like we don't do it until we get it right.

I know that's only part of the problem, but we've got to stop conceding cheap goals if we want  to improve as a club, all seems a bit half hearted , a bit 'it'll be alright on the night' type stuff.
  • edited August 2023
    I'd be interested to know who is coaching our defence in training sessions, surely they practice set plays, attacking and defensively , it looks like we don't do it until we get it right.

I know that's only part of the problem, but we've got to stop conceding cheap goals if we want  to improve as a club, all seems a bit half hearted , a bit 'it'll be alright on the night' type stuff.
    I would hope it’s Holden who played 369 games in his career as a defender according to wiki and Jason Pierce is on hand with 543 games under his belt 😲. So if those two can’t pass on what they learnt from over 900 games I give up 🤷‍♂️. 

Still you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink although donkeys are a bit more stubborn 😉.

• This says it all to me. I know these lists aren't the be all end all, but similar to xG stats they paint a picture.

No other fans rate our players other than a few like May, Camara and maybe Fraser.

You never see our players get mentioned.

You look at that list and I know all of them bar from 3 of them, they're all better than our centre backs, the 3 I'm not sure of may even be as well. I also rate other centre backs off of that list higher than ours. 

We may genuinely have the worst centre backs in the league? 

No this isn't knee jerk either, I mentioned our defensive fragility before the season started.

I look at these views and it looks like we don't have a top 10 centre back in the league, or goalkeeper or full back. Shoddy stuff 
    Thinking about this post tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Well talk of "worst in the league" certainly does come across as rather hyperbolic now. But it is curious that given how much better the defence has looked under Appleton (albeit I think there's plenty of work left to do) how much of it was coaching and how much just complacency or laziness?

Hector has plenty of experience in his own right. Jones is not exactly a green youth either. They shouldn't need THAT much training in basic defensive principles so what actually is it that Appleton has them doing that Holden did not?
  • edited October 2023
    thenewbie said:
    Well talk of "worst in the league" certainly does come across as rather hyperbolic now. But it is curious that given how much better the defence has looked under Appleton (albeit I think there's plenty of work left to do) how much of it was coaching and how much just complacency or laziness?

Hector has plenty of experience in his own right. Jones is not exactly a green youth either. They shouldn't need THAT much training in basic defensive principles so what actually is it that Appleton has them doing that Holden did not?

Likely improved tactics. I can see they have worked on patters of play, so each team member knows the others job and where they are located when a quick pass is needed. Set pieces at both ends are better. Heads of the team no longer drop.
    Appleton seems to try and work on shortcomings he sees in matches, and often they are either improved and removed completely from the game. Previously we would see the same problems match after match.
    Simple example was Hector hoofing the ball when being closed down, keep it simple and sometimes being safe is better than being pretty.
    Another example today was two players running out to close down Reading shots from the edge of the area. Likely Appleton had seen something about then in this area in previous games.
    I just think he is a better coach , and we have a better coaching setup than the previous bunch of managers.
    Will be interesting to see where we are at Xmas.
  • edited October 2023
    It just feels good to be watching a properly drilled football team again.

We won’t stay unbeaten forever but I’m feeling like we’ve finally got someone in the dugout who’s imparting footballing nous onto our bunch of talented footballers who’ve been underperforming for too long.
  • Taking your chances and scoring takes pressure off a defence.
  • I was pleased with the 3 points yesterday, but equally pleased with the clean sheet, hope we can get a lot more!
  • mendonca said:
    Taking your chances and scoring takes pressure off a defence.
    I think that’s a big part of it. We looked pretty shaky at the back in the first half. Much better in the second but that’s probably more to do with us being in the ascendency and there being far less pressure on our defence.

Things have definitely improved, no doubt about that, tougher tests to come.
  • Yes things under Appleton have been better but to me we still look a long way off being a well marshalled steady defensive unit which is what is required for a top two and pretty damned close to that for top six. I’m certainly not trying to piss on yesterdays fireworks but make no mistake Reading had two or three very good chances yesterday before we scored. Had we gone behind rather than drop their heads or melt as alluded to by Curbs and Brown things might have been very different.