Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Case For The Defence?

Comments

• I’ve not heard anyone say it, but I think we are really missing Innis. 

Not his defending, just his height and presence. 

Every team at L1 seems to have at least one giant and we now don’t have one now. We are looking vulnerable from every set piece conceded and without his presence AMB just doesn’t seem to command his box so well.

And at the other end we haven’t come close yet to winning anything off a free kick or corner. 
    Been saying something like that since we sold him. 
    Watched him closely up at Cambridge and he was so dominating in a game where we were under a lot of long ball pressure. 
    It’s clear that he hasn’t been replaced properly. And I still don’t understand why we sold him really, even if we only kept him for those matches where his height and strength would be most useful. 
  • We're crying out for a Michael Morrison, Richard Wood, Pearcy type player. In the case of both mistakes on Saturday, there was the option just to smack it out of play.
  • edited August 2023
    I thought Elerewe looked very promising in our friendlies. There’s a huge opportunity for him to break into the side this year based on how the current CBs are performing.

He looks to have come back from his loan a better player + has bulked out a bit.

He has the attributes to be a good defender. Hopefully he steps up🤞 
  • I thought Elerewe looked very promising in our friendlies. There’s a huge opportunity for him to break into the side this year based on how the current CBs are performing.

He looks to have come back from his loan a better player + has bulked out a bit.

He has the attributes to be a good defender. Hopefully he steps up🤞 
    I think a big opportunity for Deji will be against Crawley in the pizza cup where I imagine he will get the start. I also think he could have a big season, he's certainly our best prospect at centre back from what I've seen 
  • edited August 2023
    th0rryy said:
    I do think there are some rose-tinted glasses for Inniss since he left.

He absolutely had the capacity for howlers like Hector's on Saturday and he had a bit of a nasty streak that could get him sent off. Both those things together always made me distrust him in any team. His size and red card history made him a target for tinpot L1 referees, plus he had recurring injury problems over time that will likely get worse as he gets older.

The lad brought the intimidation factor and probably a decent chunk of leadership, but on balance, I think he was more of a volatile liability than anything else.
    Like with Sarr, his howlers were exaggerated. Both excellent players in L1, but some of us think we’re still in the Prem. 
  • As much as we may be missing a giant centre half, it's leaders we're missing really, they don't have to be 6ft 6. Pearce was only just over 6ft. Some of our best centre halfs and leaders in that position over the years (at this sort of level) have been not much more than 6ft, some quite skinny.

Webster 6ft
    Balmer Just under 6ft
    Morrision 6ft
    Taylor 6ft 2
    Ben Haim 6ft

Yes we've also had some lumps, but it's people who can lead that is missing, 

• Lloyd Jones is surely the guy you're all asking for? Why not give him, y'know, a few games 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    Lloyd Jones is surely the guy you're all asking for? Why not give him, y'know, a few games 
    He's coming up 28, barely played more games in his whole career than Dobson has for Charlton. If he's the answer then we're in a world of pain! It was only a few years ago he was released by Luton and struggled to find a club after the end of the season, only signing for Northampton at the very end of December.

Not saying he's an awful player, but if we had aspirations of getting out of this league he's not going to be the answer at CB.

But it's OK - he's 6ft 3  :D
  • But 2 weeks ago Jones was "clearly" an upgrade on anything we have had for the last two years.

Just as the other half dozen center backs we have had since BFG, Sarr and Lockyer.
  • edited August 2023
    Lloyd Jones is 2 inches shorter than Ryan Inniss.
    Michael Hector is 1 inch shorter than Ryan Inniss.

We're fcked.
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    But 2 weeks ago Jones was "clearly" an upgrade on anything we have had for the last two years.

Just as the other half dozen center backs we have had since BFG, Sarr and Lockyer.
    I was the one you pulled up on when I said that was the case with Jones and despite it being early days, I still believe it will turn out that way.

I’m amazed by how many are ready to tar him with the same brush as the others when he’s not put a foot wrong yet. Seeing the same with Taylor for what it’s worth. Feels like some fans just want new players to fail because I can’t see any other logical explanation.

Him and Edun are, unless I’m misremembering, the only defenders yet to drop a bollock in a game so far this season. Long may that continue.
  • edited August 2023
    Lloyd Jones is 2 inches shorter than Ryan Inniss.
    Michael Hector is 1 inch shorter than Ryan Inniss.

We're fcked.
    It’s not just the height, it’s also strength/physicality/presence, whatever you want to call it. 
    Agree that Jones has been ok so far, and by the sound of it will improve with games. 
    It’s finding the right combo, but that would be much easier if we had a Santos. Which of course would be ‘Deamland’. We’ve done it, Tel!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    But 2 weeks ago Jones was "clearly" an upgrade on anything we have had for the last two years.

I was the one you pulled up on when I said that was the case with Jones and despite it being early days, I still believe it will turn out that way.

I’m amazed by how many are ready to tar him with the same brush as the others when he’s not put a foot wrong yet. Seeing the same with Taylor for what it’s worth. Feels like some fans just want new players to fail because I can’t see any other logical explanation.

Him and Edun are, unless I’m misremembering, the only defenders yet to drop a bollock in a game so far this season. Long may that continue.
    Well exactly you have proved my point.

Has he done anything wrong yet?  No not really.  Is he "clearly" better than Inniss, Famewo, Pearce, O'Connell etc?  Based on his performances so far, no.  He is not clearly better, or worse.  He might be, he might not be. 

If we are tarring with the same brush we would all be jizzing our pants like some did with Inniss, Famewo and Gilbey after a few performances then watch them become world beaters whilst they were injured.  As soon as any of them were fit enough to play more than half a dozen in a row they were hounded out with pitch folks.

McGrandles was a superstar signing after 45 minutes of a preseason friendly and Kilkenny was the new Cullen after his debut.

I'll judge Jones, Taylor et al after a meaningful sample size of games, for us.
  • edited August 2023
    I thought the Innis argument was done when he went to Forest Green Rovers in League Two, I really did... 🤦‍♂️
  • Chunes said:
    I thought the Innis argument was done when he went to Forest Green Rovers in League Two, I really did... 🤦‍♂️
    It will be put to bed when we sign someone clearly better.  Although he was part of a defence that conceded 3 against Newport on Saturday...
  • edited August 2023

This says it all to me. I know these lists aren't the be all end all, but similar to xG stats they paint a picture.

No other fans rate our players other than a few like May, Camara and maybe Fraser.

You never see our players get mentioned.

You look at that list and I know all of them bar from 3 of them, they're all better than our centre backs, the 3 I'm not sure of may even be as well. I also rate other centre backs off of that list higher than ours. 

We may genuinely have the worst centre backs in the league? 

No this isn't knee jerk either, I mentioned our defensive fragility before the season started.

I look at these views and it looks like we don't have a top 10 centre back in the league, or goalkeeper or full back. Shoddy stuff 

• This says it all to me. I know these lists aren't the be all end all, but similar to xG stats they paint a picture.

No other fans rate our players other than a few like May, Camara and maybe Fraser.

You look at that list and I know all of them bar from 3 of them, they're all better than our centre backs, the 3 I'm not sure of may even be as well. I also rate other centre backs off of that list higher than ours. 

No this isn't knee jerk either, I mentioned our defensive fragility before the season started.

I look at these views and it looks like we don't have a top 10 centre back in the league, or goalkeeper or full back. Shoddy stuff 
    Fucking hell
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    It will be put to bed when we sign someone clearly better.  Although he was part of a defence that conceded 3 against Newport on Saturday...
    Just watched the highlights, some serious questions for Ryan over their first goal...
  • edited August 2023
    Leuth said:

This says it all to me. I know these lists aren't the be all end all, but similar to xG stats they paint a picture.

Fucking hell
    I have thought this for the last 3 seasons maybe, there are always issues at centre back. Last proper decent one we had at this level was Patrick Bauer. All the others have had weaknesses.

In this division you could say that Northampton are maybe one of the worst sides in this league and one of the favourites to go down. Their captain Jon Guthrie is better than all our centre backs as an example. 

Portsmouth, Derby, Bolton, Oxford, Peterborough, Barnsley, Wigan and Reading off the top of my head all have centre backs that just walk in this team, some even have two. We are meant to be challenging these teams. 

I said it before the season, we are assuming Hector should be good based on his past, Ness is not ready, Jones was from a team that nearly got relegated and now they seem better without him, Deji is only 19 and come back from a loan spell at Bromley where he didn't look too out of place (I admit he has promise) and Thomas was always signed as a squad filler, nothing more nothing less. We have no marquee centre back at the club imo 

• There's not a squad in this division that wouldn't have signed Hector give the chance. Jones would have been much in demand too. Thomas would get into most squads and has been frankly pretty good so far this season. Ness is a very bright prospect, as is Deji. To claim we have the worst centre-backs in the division is outrageous
  • People are writing about Hector like he's fit for the scrapheap. He's a class footballer and he'll show it this season. Or is one bad error completely unforgivable? 
  • Until Jones gets fully fit and shows hes an upgrade on Rabid Ryan and Ness proves he breakthrough wasnt a flash in the pan we currently have 3 squad player CB's with Hector still in preseason. 

• edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    There's not a squad in this division that wouldn't have signed Hector give the chance. Jones would have been much in demand too. Thomas would get into most squads and has been frankly pretty good so far this season. Ness is a very bright prospect, as is Deji. To claim we have the worst centre-backs in the division is outrageous
    Conceded 3 goals to Port Vale that have scored a grand total of 1 goal in their other 3 games. 

But yes our defense is class and each individual player is a cheat code, except when played together it seems. 
  • Leuth said:
    There's not a squad in this division that wouldn't have signed Hector give the chance. Jones would have been much in demand too. Thomas would get into most squads and has been frankly pretty good so far this season. Ness is a very bright prospect, as is Deji. To claim we have the worst centre-backs in the division is outrageous
    I am not so sure about that, there was no rumours what so ever of Hector with any other league 1 club and none of the ones I mentioned would have taken him as they have better already. 

Same for Jones, surely that's just speculation on both our parts? I didn't see Lloyd Jones linked with anyone and Cambridge fans didn't seem too bothered by letting him go. 

Would Thomas get into most squads? He wouldn't get into any of the clubs I've mentioned again and if he did it would be emergency supplies only. 

They are bright prospects yes but shouldn't be starting, they should be playing the pizza cups and covering injuries or tired legs. Remember when a load of us thought Charlie Barker was looking a prospect? Non league now. 

I don't think it's that outrageous when we have just conceded 5 goals in two games, I think it's a perfectly rational call. I just don't want Charlton to be shit anymore and I don't think these players are going to change our fortune's. I hope I am very wrong 
  • Forgetting as well that in most games we've conceded far more chances than just 'errors'. 

Our defense is terrible.

Of course they play for Charlton so they're all world beaters and incredible while they concede another 60+ goals that aren't their fault. 
  • Forgetting as well that in most games we've conceded far more chances than just 'errors'. 

Our defense is terrible.

Of course they play for Charlton so they're all world beaters and incredible while they concede another 60+ goals that aren't their fault. 
    I feel the default Charlton attitude is much more 'our defenders are all total shit and I hate them all', and I'm usually the lone voice of 'maybe the midfielders and strikers should be helping them out a bit' 
  • edited August 2023
    Leuth said:
    People are writing about Hector like he's fit for the scrapheap. He's a class footballer and he'll show it this season. Or is one bad error completely unforgivable? 

He wasnt great against Newport either, could have done a lot more for their second and third, but, McGrandles was in the midfield so that got blamed for everything.