Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Case For The Defence?

I thought our defending at times today was sloppy, lack of concentration, lack of energy, what is going on?

Comments

• edited August 2023
    We’ve been all at sea at the back for weeks.

I can’t remember a Charlton side as shite at set pieces as this one. Complete lack of leadership, organisation & desire to win the ball.

We should pull Jason Pearce out of his current remit for a few weeks to work with the first team on becoming hard to beat (defensive positioning, set pieces) + attacking corners (our CBs currently offer no threat at all from our attacking free kicks).

Jason wasn’t Paolo Maldini but he absolutely knew how to man mark (did a great job on Mitrovic one season) & keep a solid back line.

The current bunch seem void of the basics.
  • Forcing a formation the players can't play. 

Players being thrust into leadership roles that have never done it before. 

Everyone being inexperienced and prone to errors. 

A combination of all 3. 
  • Pearce could probably still do a job tbf 

I thought Hector was a bit overrated last season, he just doesn't seem to be the dominant centre half you'd expect him to be 
  • Pearce could probably still do a job tbf 

I thought Hector was a bit overrated last season, he just doesn't seem to be the dominant centre half you'd expect him to be 
    You can't concede as many goals as we did last season and think any of those defensive players were any good. The love-in for Hector was weird to say the least. 
  • edited August 2023
    shirty5 said:
    When you let in 66 league goals last season then any manager worth it’s sort, looks at the backline and gets that right first.

Have we improved it? After 5 league and cup games, clearly not

Until you sort that out we are going nowhere near that championship 
    Posted similar on the match thread, but the top 2 teams last year kept a clean sheet in around 50% of their games. Our record was around 20%. To have a good season, we need to improve that clean sheet by 2x.

I don't see how that's going to happen. We haven't strengthened enough at the back. 

To be honest, I'd rather we spent £500k on a top CB than a striker like Nombe. 
  • 60 goals to go, to match last seasons defensive record?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    shirty5 said:
    When you let in 66 league goals last season then any manager worth it’s sort, looks at the backline and gets that right first.

Have we improved it? After 5 league and cup games, clearly not

Until you sort that out we are going nowhere near that championship 
    Agree. Get a clean sheet and at least you get a point. Currently I never feel confident of getting through a game without conceding. Couple that with our lack of striking options and the inevitable happens.

I understand we had a sub-optimal close season with the delay in completing the club sale but as each game passes we will lose ground. If the new owners have any ambition they need to overcome any FFP issues or barriers to securing players against competition. Almost certainly I suspect that involves spending more money than is in the agreed budget. After 6 decades of supporting this club I have assumed I will be disappointed (again) with how things stand once the transfer window closes.
  • seems no matter what the formation/defensive tactics or personnel, our defending is rubbish, but is the lack of a mobile and hard working, game aware midfield (Dobson excepted) not also to blame ?
  • Last season we conceded 66 goals in the league. 
    That to me showed our defence was weak. 
    Apart from Inniss we have the same defence as last season 
    Maynard Brewer 
    Thomas 
    Hector 
    Ness.
    Our defence is as much of a problem as our lack of another striker I'm my opinion. 
  • The problem starts at goalkeeper. Said it before but Brewer is sub standard. Doesn't command his box, parries long  shots back into play and can't kick a ball. In other words hopeless. An absolute liability.
  • The problem starts at goalkeeper. Said it before but Brewer is sub standard. Doesn't command his box, parries long  shots back into play and can't kick a ball. In other words hopeless. An absolute liability.
    All his fault for the goals on Saturday?

When he makes a save our defenders are so slow to react if he parries the ball - happened in last two games.

Seems strange to scapegoat him given some of the comedy defending in front of him.
  • But people mocked Adkins saying he wanted 20 clean sheets...

Every center half we have had over the last 3 years has got worse the longer they have been here.  Famewo, Inniss, Hector, I could go on.
  • Hector has been a huge disappointment. Not sure what's wrong with him but he doesn't inspire confidence.

• edited August 2023
    Hector is the biggest disappointment of all. Take Saturday. Most of the time he was fine, then one of the worst mistakes I’ve seen in football. And then ten minutes before the end one of the best tackles I’ve seen. 
    Is it mentality, is it lack of fitness or skill?

Hate to say it, but I said when we sold Innis that we really needed to replace his aerial dominance. And we haven’t. Yes he made the odd mistake, but so do most L1 defenders (and so did Pearce). He gave the defence solidity, certainly under aerial bombardment, and he also looked scary. Ness, Jones and Hector all seem a bit nice somehow.

Also, I think there’s nothing wrong with clearing your lines. I sometimes think they’re trying to play pretty football, and getting found out. Nathan (who I rate very highly) should have just smashed the ball into touch rather than trying to control the ball on Saturday. That’s just coaching. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Hector is the biggest disappointment of all. Take Saturday. Most of the time he was fine, then one of the worst mistakes I’ve seen in football. And then ten minutes before the end one of the best tackles I’ve seen. 

Hate to say it, but I said when we sold Innis that we really needed to replace his aerial dominance. And we haven’t. Yes he made the odd mistake, but so do most L1 defenders (and so did Pearce). He gave the defence solidity, certainly under aerial bombardment, and he also looked scary. Ness, Jones and Hector all seem a bit nice somehow.

Also, I think there’s nothing wrong with clearing your lines. I sometimes think they’re trying to play pretty football, and getting found out. Nathan (who I rate very highly) should have just smashed the ball into touch rather than trying to control the ball on Saturday. That’s just coaching. 
    A curse of modern football sometimes that defenders try to play the ball out of defence rather than hoof it into Row Z when under pressure. Safety first is sometimes the best policy.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    But people mocked Adkins saying he wanted 20 clean sheets...

Every center half we have had over the last 3 years has got worse the longer they have been here.  Famewo, Inniss, Hector, I could go on.
    25, but yes i agree with you about deminishing returns on centre halfs.
  • I’ve not heard anyone say it, but I think we are really missing Innis. 

Not his defending, just his height and presence. 

Every team at L1 seems to have at least one giant and we now don’t have one now. We are looking vulnerable from every set piece conceded and without his presence AMB just doesn’t seem to command his box so well.

And at the other end we haven’t come close yet to winning anything off a free kick or corner. 
    I said it mate and was Lol'd into oblivion. Said something along the lines of 'as much as he was a danger, he was very good in the air and will be missed in both boxes and his passing ability, yet to be proven if Lloyd Jones is an upgrade' 

It's actually at a point where I would be willing to place a bet with a bookies that we will not score from a corner direct and will concede at least 5-10 from them over the course 

#JustStopLols
  • edited August 2023
    The problem starts at goalkeeper. Said it before but Brewer is sub standard. Doesn't command his box, parries long  shots back into play and can't kick a ball. In other words hopeless. An absolute liability.
    There is also this, I know people think I'm harsh on him but I am fairly convinced if he wasn't a Charlton lad he would be getting pelters. I'd just roll the dice with Isted and hope he comes good over the next 10 games or so. That's not just on the Barnsley performance at Wembley either, it's based on their fans saying he was good the latter end of the season 
  • Still think we need to sign another 3 defenders, will it happen?
  • We’ve been all at sea at the back for weeks.

I can’t remember a Charlton side as shite at set pieces as this one. Complete lack of leadership, organisation & desire to win the ball.

We should pull Jason Pearce out of his current remit for a few weeks to work with the first team on becoming hard to beat (defensive positioning, set pieces) + attacking corners (our CBs currently offer no threat at all from our attacking free kicks).

Jason wasn’t Paolo Maldini but he absolutely knew how to man mark (did a great job on Mitrovic one season) & keep a solid back line.

The current bunch seem void of the basics.
    We should Jason Pearce back playing,he couldnt be any worse than this lot.
  • Still feels like a fee could be needed to be spent on a commanding CB , someone in the mould of a Bauer or Morrison. We've always had quality at CB when we've got out of this division 
  • I’ve not heard anyone say it, but I think we are really missing Innis. 

Every team at L1 seems to have at least one giant and we now don’t have one now. We are looking vulnerable from every set piece conceded and without his presence AMB just doesn’t seem to command his box so well.

And at the other end we haven’t come close yet to winning anything off a free kick or corner. 
    I said it mate and was Lol'd into oblivion. Said something along the lines of 'as much as he was a danger, he was very good in the air and will be missed in both boxes and his passing ability, yet to be proven if Lloyd Jones is an upgrade' 

It's actually at a point where I would be willing to place a bet with a bookies that we will not score from a corner direct and will concede at least 5-10 from them over the course 

#JustStopLols
    I’ve not heard anyone say it, but I think we are really missing Innis. 

#JustStopLols
    I have said it right from the start,big mistake letting him go,Hector has cost us more goals in his few appearances than Innis did in his stay with us.Opposition players were scared of Innis,now theyJamesSeed said:

Nathan had worked his nuts off and was tired,that was a very difficult ball to deal with,any self respecting cb would have seen that and got over there to help out,no one within 30-40 yards.Nathan was still the only defender there even after AMB  had parried the ball.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Still feels like a fee could be needed to be spent on a commanding CB , someone in the mould of a Bauer or Morrison. We've always had quality at CB when we've got out of this division 
    The worst thing is that I thought we already had at least some part of that in the form of Hector. He was signed up reasonably early, had been through pre-season and had already played a decent amount with these players already. 

The howler against Port Vale is one of the worst I've seen for a while. It was amateur hour and then some. He needed to lead by example and it's just not good enough for a player of his experience to do something like that. Defenders will make mistakes but that was something else.

I'd love to magic up another player like that, but I just think we won't with the squad as it stands today. Having already spent on Jones, I just don't think we will. I'd love to be wrong because I completely agree we need it.
  • th0rryy said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Still feels like a fee could be needed to be spent on a commanding CB , someone in the mould of a Bauer or Morrison. We've always had quality at CB when we've got out of this division 
    The worst thing is that I thought we already had at least some part of that in the form of Hector. He was signed up reasonably early, had been through pre-season and had already played a decent amount with these players already. 

The howler against Port Vale is one of the worst I've seen for a while. It was amateur hour and then some. He needed to lead by example and it's just not good enough for a player of his experience to do something like that. Defenders will make mistakes but that was something else.

I'd love to magic up another player like that, but I just think we won't with the squad as it stands today. Having already spent on Jones, I just don't think we will. I'd love to be wrong because I completely agree we need it.

Oh I absolutely agree that I don't think it will happen but it does feel like something that might be needed. Hector I did have a lot of expectations for 
  • Still think we need to sign another 3 defenders, will it happen?
    Of course it will happen. The first will arive some time next summer and the other 2 at a later time before the end of this decade.