Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your top three favourite Charlton players

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Don't have to be the best, just the ones you look back on most fondly from what you saw.

Sadly my three are pretty much from the same era

Mendonca - style, subtle touch and deadly finisher.

Chris Powell - solid, but ultimately knew his limitations and was happy to do his job. Always gave 100% yet never seemed to take too seriously. Respected the supporters.

Kinsella - just great, great attitude. Had drive and a warrior spirit, played a massive part in lifting us up to that next level. Always remember him scoring a goal whilst pointing out to a linesman that he wasn't offside.

Can't believe i've left out Brownie, Webbo, the Roof...

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmmmm only 3? Ok.........could easily pick your 3 but will try to be a bit different............

Hales

Aizlewood

Robinson
  • Options
    Parker: supplied that grit and determination in midfield that has been lacking since he left and made Charlton a top four team in the EPL.

Mendonca: not just for the hatrick at Wembley but for virtually single handedly getting us to Wembley in the first place.

Rufus: classy defender who always seemed to play that bit better against better strikers. A shame his distribution was so poor and above all that injury prevented him from showing us how good he could have been in the EPL.

Bubbling under: Kinsella, Killer, Rob Lee...
  • Options
    Super Clive & Brownie spring to mind as first two.

Tough call between Kinsella & Newton for me. Not sure why I've got a soft spot for Newts but I think he has to edge over Kinsella. Although give it a year or two and Benty will be in there.
  • Options
    Blimey AFKA really had to think about this.

Mendonca - had me going every time he got the ball - you just thought he could score every time.

Kinsella - GREAT CAPTAIN

PAUL MORTS - PURE MAGIC
  • Options
    Colin Walsh think he done a massive job for ourselves during our exile

Johnny Humphrey without doubt the best and most consistant right back i have ever seen again underated by others

Garry nelson run his heart for the cause and was outstanding for us

missed out some real recent heroes that have been mentioned but always look back at my childhood and think these guys were why i loved going to Charlton

ps ask me again next week and it will probably change
  • Options
    Rufus - Best Stopper CAFC have had since I have been watching.
    Johnny H - Most dynamic Full back I have seen play for us.
    Colin Walsh - Some fabulous Goals, whole hearted, wonderful left foot.
  • Options
    Robbo - purely for entertainment value

Deano - Dedicated, always gave 100% and had a great understanding with the fans.

Powell - top bloke on and off the pitch
  • Options
    Ask me the same tomorrow and, other than Len, the answer will almost certainly be totally different.

It maybe that the passage of time means you look back with rose tinted spectacles but here goes anyway:

Len Glover - Pace, skill and crossing ability. As a winger he had the lot. He was unlucky to be at his best when Sir Alf Ramsey was England manager as he did not play wingers after briefly trying, then discarding, Terry Paine, Ian Callaghan and John Connelly prior to the 66 World Cup win. If wingers were in vogue Len would have played for England for sure. Leicester City, where he went after us regard him as a legend. It's not me with an early day Kish complex honest:-)

Billy Bonds - Played right back with us and was one of the first overlapping full backs. I can still see him in my minds eye surging forward to get a cross in or haring back if the oppo broke away. A contender for best player never to play for England.

Les Berry - OK the Kish complex is coming out a bit with this one! Les' ineptness was strangely endearing however. He had 2 ways of defending. The back pass to the keeper or the welly over the gable stand. There wasn't a lot else to his game!

He was dedicated to the shirt though and gave everything he had for the club. Another of my enduring memories is an FA Cup tie at home to Ipswich, who were riding high in the old first division at the time. We raced into a 2-0 lead after about 15-20 minutes. Ipswich came back into it and it was 2-2 with a couple of minutes left. Eric Gates broke away and Les chased him the length of the pitch and tackled him from behind just outside the 18 yard area. Gates leaped through the air like a salmon and landed in the area and the muppet of a ref gave a penalty 3-2 Ipswich when we deserved a replay if not better.
  • Options
    Top 3 is a tough call, probably have 5 or 6 Charlton heroes.

Clive, Rufus and Powell for all the reasons above.

Robbo, John H and Deano not far behind
  • Options
    First got to say hello and well done on a quality charlton site to all those involved......

Top 3:
    Deano - if he could have kicked straight he would have been a top 4 keeper easily
    Rufus - never mistimed a tackle in his life
    Mendonca - forget Bergkamp super Clive definitely scored the best hatrick of all time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1,Johnnie humf
    2,Powelly
    3, Brownie

This is a grat question. Very difficult.

I have Bobby Bolder, Kinsella, super clive and Deano all quite close after.
  • Options
    Welcome to our happy ship Griff.

No going shy on us, A problematic girlfriend with a drink problem, need a payrise etc, your first stop is to share with your Charlton brethren :-)
  • Options
    Cheers i'll bear that in mind!

Only real problem at the mo is Charlton's nearly inevitable slide out of the Prem..... ah well i've been to most of the Prem grounds now, wouldn't mind slumming it around Colchester and Hull for a couple of seasons!

Oj of course I have complete faith in the boys to turn it around.....
  • Options
    This question is too difficult for me but Dick Tydeman was an early favourite of mine with Ray Treacy. However more recent fav's would be Kinsella, Stevie Brown, Sir Clive and Andy Hunt with Paul Morts............aarhg....thats more than 3...I said it was too difficult.
  • Options
    Rob Lee
    Andy Hunt
    Kinsella
  • Options
    Robbo - fantastic entertainment and nevar say die attitude - we could do with a couple like him now
    Parker - the human dynamo, the world's first palyet to give 200% every game - why didn't you stay a little longer Scott?
    Jensen - class seldom seen in a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    Shirtliff
    Parker
    Hunt
  • Options
    am suprised Parker has featured so much.

People really appear to have let go.
  • Options
    Ralph Milne
    Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaburn
    Kish
    am i playing this game right??
  • Options
    in no particular order.
    morts- at times i'm convinced he had the ball on a string.
    chris powell- model pro, never met him yet has a personality that makes me want him as my next of kin.
    paul elliot- extremely unlucky with injuries and very under-rated, imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely eddie firmani - sheer class and talent and a great and friendly man;
    Bobby Curtis - the first Charlton and probably first English glamour footballer
    and of course Mendonca : his goals were sublime and coupled with the above evidence of class and sublimity, I include Paul Mortimer.
  • Options
    Paul Walsh

Super Clive

Mark Kinsella
  • Options
    I did think Parker could have kept us first im round so yes 1 of the 3

Simonson

Halesy....
  • Options
    I have thought long and hard about this and have come up with the following

1.Kinsella - a true captain
    2.Colin Powell - I always wanted to be a right winger as a kid (and he supplied most of Killers' goals and didnt leave us to go to derby - I was gutted when Killer went)
    3. rufus

They are all (pretty much) one club players
  • Options
    1. Mendonca
    2. Rufus.
    3. Killer.

With another 12 who could have made that list.....Alan Simonsen, the most skilful player I've seen in a Charlton shirt...
  • Options
    Morts - because he did things I couldn't explain and for that night in the snow in 95

Colin Walsh - just a class player

Matt Tees - As a child he was the first player to make an impact on me. To an 8 year old he could head the ball in from the halfway line and scored every game and won every header. The record books seem to have missed this but that's what I remember.

Chris Powell could easily been in there as could Mendonca
  • Options
    Mendonca - sublime touch and best finisher i've seen down Charlton

Colin Walsh - his left foot was a wand

Parker - Don't think i've seen a player who could grab a game by the scruff of the neck like he could - 100% committed and tough as old boots
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2008
    1: Killer
    2: Super Clive
    3: H
  • Options
    Garry Nelson - effort and passion in abundence, and great company as well.
    Sir Chris - the man is perfect.
    John Humphrey - If he had played for a "big" club he would have had a hatfull of England caps.

Bubbling under - Mark Kinsella, Steve Brown, Morts