Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Firmani

Comments

• Options
    Saw his first game back after leaving Sampadoria. Vivid memory seeing a ball he delicately volleyed from 30 yards that started out heading 3 feet over the bar which dipped and swerved forcing a save from the keeper. I'd never seen a football do anything but go in a straight line before that day.
  • Options
    Hero, Legend, Mr Charlton . Happy Birthday Mr Firmani 
  • Options

I hope Brian Nicholas had his Keith Peacock mask on…
  • Options
    In the film Buster about the Great Train Robbery.Phil Collins who played Buster was around his pool and he opened a paper and said great Eddie Firmani scored a hat Rick.Buster was a Charlton supporter.When Eddie played in Italy he was known as the cool turkey.
  • Options
    Watched him the first time and when he returned and when he was our manager. Loved watching him play and thought he was a good manager. Met him briefly once, very easy to talk to. Happy birthday Eddie 
  • Options
    In that 68/69 season the late Ray Treacy scored one of  the all time great Charlton goals. Against Clough’s Derby team as well. We won 2-0 and the day before beat Middlesbrough 4-1 both at the Valley - looked like promotion but Palace foiled us - all my family gutted.
  • Options
    We beat Derby in January. Easter Friday beat Cardiff 4-1 Easter Saturday beat Middlesbrough 2-0
  • Options
    I’m not sure if I’m imagining this but I do think I saw him play at the Valley it would have been around the time I started supporting the club, 1964.

I do remember the kit with the red flashes on the shoulders unusual to have so little red? Were Castore around back then;)

Didn't realise he was still alive, Happy Birthday, Eddie.
    Absolutely correct. That kit was used in the 1963/64 season when we came 4th in the old Second Division behind Leeds, Sunderland and Preston. I remember the forward five for many of those games were Mike Kenning, Roy Matthews, Eddie Firmani, Dennis (Daisy) Edwards and Lenny Glover. I just seem to remember Firmani as being a really elegant looking player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never saw Eddie pre Italy but remember him when he came back.What a player,fantastic first touch,players would bounce off of him and often finish up in a heap,Eddie learnt a few tricks in Italy.Happy Birthday,a true legend.
  • Options
    GeoffB said:
    In that 68/69 season the late Ray Treacy scored one of  the all time great Charlton goals. Against Clough’s Derby team as well. We won 2-0 and the day before beat Middlesbrough 4-1 both at the Valley - looked like promotion but Palace foiled us - all my family gutted.
    It was Millwall that “robbed” us more than Palace. They did the double over us, but lost twice to the Glaziers. I’ve never liked that lot from the (New) Den. 😁
  • Options
    The first man to score an European Competition goal. Played for Charlton at the time.
    Happy Birthday Eddie.
    That is a genuinely brilliant fact 
  • Options
    What a pleasure to remember Eddie Firmani. 
    On his return from Italy, scored 2 goals in his first game, away.

Then a home game, I still remember the anticipation! I was standing in the Jimmy Seed stand behind the goal and near the front, early in first half I think Eddie received the ball near the penalty spot. Without any fuss he shoots - and scores of course.

Happy birthday Eddie.
  • Options
    HarpoLes said:
    GeoffB said:
    It was Millwall that “robbed” us more than Palace. They did the double over us, but lost twice to the Glaziers. I’ve never liked that lot from the (New) Den. 😁
    We robbed ourselves, too many drawn games 8 at home I think. At Selhurst (when a couple of thousand supporters walked from the Valley) we drew 3-3 after being 2-0 up, Derby away, cracking game we hit the woodwork 4 times & lost 2-1. Happy memories but we should have done better.
  • Options
    Way before my time, but Was he British transfer record holder at one time ? 
  • Options
    During his first match back at the valley I remember he had to have the legs of his shorts cut as they were to tight around his thighs, funny the things you remember.
    He was a hero of my dads before he went to Italy and a hero to us both after.
    Happy birthday Eddie thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Way before my time, but Was he British transfer record holder at one time ?

Yes, £35,000 was a record fee involving a British Club
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Eddie
  • Options
    My father first took me to The Valley aged 8 in Firmani's last season before moving to Italy.  I remember how I felt on receiving the news that one of my new heros was leaving us.  My first experience of being disappointed by CAFC.  It set me up for life!!  Why do I persevere nearly 70 years later?

Happy birthday Eddie!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     Eddie score a goal for Charlton in that ? 
    I said he scored the first ever European goal. Played for Charlton at the time. That’s different from scoring for Charlton.
    Transferred to Italian club a short will later.
  • Options
    I think I just remember him playing for us in his second spell, 64'ish which was the year I went to my first match at The Valley. I certainly remember him clearly as the manager.

A true Charlton (and football in general) legend.

Happy birthday, Sir.
  • Options
    You are right ACAB my memory slipping a bit. The 2 games at Easter were  a real highlight max points and 6 goals. 
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    He, Mike Bailey and Len Glover were the standout players when I first started going to the Valley in the 63/64 season. Great player.
    ? Billy Bonds
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    He, Mike Bailey and Len Glover were the standout players when I first started going to the Valley in the 63/64 season. Great player.
    ? Billy Bonds
    John Hewie was right back that season. Billy made his debut the season after in 1965.
  • Options
    My favourite ever player, bar none.

He was unplayable in the 5-2 win over Cadiff in '63.

He lived in a lovely house in Barnfield Wood Road, Bromley South/ Beckenham borders when he returned from Italy and his wife opened a wool shop in Plumstead High Street.

His first game back was away at Manchester City and Eddie was signed so late in the week his name doesn't appear in the match programme.

We won that game, a match we would almost certainly lost without the great man playing

Happy birthday Eddie.

• Options
    My Mum & Dad's favourite player. I just missed seeing him play, but remember him as manager and vividly remember his sacking.
    I seem to remember that he was once held hostage/captive in the Middle East ?
    Does he still live in the States?
  • Options
    My Mum & Dad's favourite player. I just missed seeing him play, but remember him as manager and vividly remember his sacking.
    I seem to remember that he was once held hostage/captive in the Middle East ?
    Does he still live in the States?
    Held by the Iraqis during Gulf War 1
  • Options
    HarpoLes said:
    GeoffB said:
    We robbed ourselves, too many drawn games 8 at home I think. At Selhurst (when a couple of thousand supporters walked from the Valley) we drew 3-3 after being 2-0 up, Derby away, cracking game we hit the woodwork 4 times & lost 2-1. Happy memories but we should have done better.
    I particularly remember that Derby match at the old Baseball ground - it was my first long distance away League trip.
    Grey damp day, the ground seemed packed and top of the League Derby fans in full voice. Then Harry Gregory scored fairly early on ...... the silence was deafening, then about 50 Charlton fans started singing!

As you say we should have had more, but kept hitting the woodwork. Derby came at us very strongly in the 2nd half - and of course, the inevitable happened and in time honoured fashion we shipped an equaliser and their winner.

Memories from a then 13 year old.